Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Elon often seems to be on his own schedule...but a least the issue has been brought to his attention (again).

This is longer than the current 2-3 week estimate for the Squamish Supercharger. However, Elon did say Superchargers (plural) so maybe more than one will be coming online?

Call me skeptical though.

Thanks iKhalid!

Although given his track record, and as much as I admire the man, I would take any timeframe estimates by Elon with a very large amount of NaCl...

Passing on this message from Tesla:

Our team is working to activate sites throughout Canada as quickly as possible. We are 100% committed to supporting the driving needs of our customers around the globe and have been pushing our Canadian sites forward based on your feedback.

See below for more details on the routes and timing. Our experience encountering and overcoming issues and delays through all phases of the site acquisition and deployment process has led to our approach of communicating firm timing and locations only once we are absolutely sure a specific site will be ready for our owners to use. Please continue to monitor our website for updates and announcements.

- Eastern Canada:
o Priority routes: Toronto – Montreal, Montreal – Quebec City, Toronto – North Bay (via Barrie)
o First site in Toronto expected by June; other sites will be start coming on-line through the summer depending on permit timing.

image001 (1).png

- Western Canada:
o Priority routes: Vancouver – Whistler, Vancouver – Banff, Calgary – Edmonton
o First site (Squamish) is still moving through the zoning process; we expect to complete this site before the end of June. Other sites will be start coming on-line through the summer depending on permit timing.

image002.png

Thanks - useful info. So the Toronto service center first, not a big surprise. For me it will be extremely useful. Currently I find the charging options within Toronto itself are somewhat limited and inconvenient. There aren't a lot of higher power Level II stations around. What will really help, though, is the Kingston charger.

Bit of a long haul from either Kingston or Cornwall to the Albany NY charger. Possible with some care but you'd need 100% charge and good weather conditions.

Looks like they're planning a Syracuse charger for "2014" so that will properly hook in the US Supercharger grid.

Last edited:
The update is much appreciated! Good to see a supercharger is going around Ingersoll as opposed to London which makes the leg to Toronto a little shorter. It's also within shooting distance of Barrie for those going North coming from Windsor. A Barrie supercharger will be absolutely awesome!

Thanks for posting @doug.
So out west across the mountains it looks like Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke & Lake Louise. I'm a little worried about the vertical rise on some of those legs in my 60. Looks like summer driving only.

Also looks like I can't make it from Lake Louise to Red Deer on my way to Edmonton. Darn. Well, maybe downhill if I push it and go slow, but certainly not uphill coming back.

Also looks like I can't make it from Lake Louise to Red Deer on my way to Edmonton. Darn. Well, maybe downhill if I push it and go slow, but certainly not uphill coming back.

Yes, great update. The one surprise was Lake Louise. I thought that SC was in Canmore.

FYI, on a bit longer leg between Golden and Red Deer, these were my stats from a couple of weeks ago. (Golden is 83km from Lake Louise.)

Golden to Red Deer - Rated Range used: 485km
Red Deer to Golden - Rated Range used: 401km

With my S85, travelling West will be no problem, but when travelling East I'll have to make a decision close to Calgary whether to stop for a short charge or go straight to Red Deer. It should be fine as long as the weather is ok.

I'd love to see something like Blue River, BC / Jasper, AB / Edson, AB one day to connect Vancouver to Jasper and a faster route to Edmonton, along with Edmonton drivers to Jasper (a bit of a stretch especially in winter). I know of at least one owner in Edmonton getting his car in May that wants to go to Jasper regularly. I'd assume we're several years away from enough demand though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad you chimed in @pairtrader, with your recent trip experience. So it seems to me, that even with your 85, we are missing a supercharger. Good thing for the Suncountry CS90 in Canmore. I think that a 1/2hr stop there would be suitabe even for my 60.

Ideally for Vancouver to Edmonton drivers, barring a northern route through Jasper , there would be another SC on the west side of Calgary where HWY 1 meets the 201. I know that Tesla doesn't intend to put the SCs in major cities, but on the outskirts may make sense as most people would still use it for road trips and not regular charging. I will take what I can get though. At least there are several places to stop and charge in Calgary, it will just add an hour or two to the YVR-YEG leg.

If at least 2 of the Kamloops/Revelstoke/LL/Red Deer SCs are up and running by September, I'll do the drive then.

I'm concerned that only the Quebec-Windsor urban corridor is being looked at for superchargers. Southern Ontario/Southern Quebec. This is the equivalent to simply looking at the Bos-NY-Wash urban corridor (Boston-New York-Washington) for superchargers in the U.S. And yet, Tesla is based way out in California, far away from both Canada's and America's urban corridors.

I'm concerned that only the Quebec-Windsor urban corridor is being looked at for superchargers. Southern Ontario/Southern Quebec. This is the equivalent to simply looking at the Bos-NY-Wash urban corridor (Boston-New York-Washington) for superchargers in the U.S. And yet, Tesla is based way out in California, far away from both Canada's and America's urban corridors.

If I understand your concern, given that SO/SQ is the most populous it's the best place to start. Frankly we are fortunate to be getting any superchargers given our market size. Thanks Tesla.

I'm glad you chimed in @pairtrader, with your recent trip experience. So it seems to me, that even with your 85, we are missing a supercharger. Good thing for the Suncountry CS90 in Canmore. I think that a 1/2hr stop there would be suitabe even for my 60.
I guess when we have a service center in Calgary that might be available for charging by prior arrangement? I'm not sure how this works or if that is normally possible and if so if they have an HPWC at least.

I guess when we have a service center in Calgary that might be available for charging by prior arrangement? I'm not sure how this works or if that is normally possible and if so if they have an HPWC at least.

Here in Vancouver they are happy to let me charge if I'm in the area, but it is a HPWC which gave about 78km/hr of range if I remember correctly. I only used it once. I would bet that the Calgary service center would be happy to let a road tripping owner charge. I would love to see a single Supercharger at a parking spot right in front of the new Vancouver store. It is at one of the highest foot traffic intersections in the city. The attention it would draw would be incredible. Owners pulling up, charging, and moving on would be a fantastic demo. I'm sure this is impossible to get permitted and not something that is even being considered.

I would love to see a single Supercharger at a parking spot right in front of the new Vancouver store. It is at one of the highest foot traffic intersections in the city. The attention it would draw would be incredible. Owners pulling up, charging, and moving on would be a fantastic demo. I'm sure this is impossible to get permitted and not something that is even being considered.
What a fantastic idea! Mention this on Friday to Robin, I bet she would pursue it! Vancouver council is pretty progressive this way, and there are already several curb side chargers around.

It is like with every revolution: As soon as things start to move, it cannot go fast enough for most people. Including me and most other German Tesla owners. Or ask the owners in Texas, they feel treated like if they have the plague :eek:

SC-NA.png

I superimposed the disclosed Canadian SC sites to the Superchargers map.

Status
Not open for further replies.