Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot force myself to buy current “dated” model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe time for a lease instead of a buy? You can have today's update with little exposure while the new update arrives. Many body styles go 10 years and the current refresh might last that long. It would be great for owners to get more of this body style on the road to lessen repair costs.

It will be interesting to see what the Europeans offer when they launch their Eletric cars. They are certainly setting the bar high with their interiors and technology. The new Audi A8 is very impressive

I am sure all these can be added to their Eletric cars. Lets hope Tesla surprises us soon. As the Model is is their Flag Ship car. Just like the A8 is Audi's Flag ship.

Reactions: whitex
Lets hope they include the self presenting doors which they offer with the model x in the model s.
This is a long over due.

Would also like to see them bring back Ventilation for the seats.

BMW - Automatic Seat Heating or Ventilation:

(Model S is Tesla's flagship car. One would expect it to be as good if not better then the offerings from the European / Asian car manufactures)

Lets hope they include the self presenting doors which they offer with the model x in the model s.
This is a long over due.

On the entry, how is this much better then self presenting handles on the S? Either way you have to grab the door to open, but at least when you walk by it with a key in the garage for example it doesn't open the actual door, which in tight garages is just asking for a ding. If you're parked on a driveway in the rain (I know, no rain in California so they don't think about that and prioritize things like autp-wipers months after delivering the car) and the car opens the door every time you walk by it with keyfob in your pocket. Also, with no actual handle, you have to keep telling people not to use the glass window to open and close the door (I've seen people go for the window when you tell them, "no handle, just grab the door").

Reactions: jgs
I've got both a 2017 P100D and a 2014 85 and while there is a massive number of differences between them, there are definitely a lot of things I like better on the 2014. The seats aren't nearly as supportive, however I like them better for long trips. The real leather in the 2014 feels nicer than the fake stuff in the 2017. The massive frunk is awesome and super useful on the 2014, the frunk on the 2017 is pretty worthless. I also hate the stupid self closing charge port. Every time I try to use a non-Tesla charge I fight with it. Lastly my biggest complaint is the stupid worthless center console. I would love to have the bowling alley back, it was so useful for bags and made the cabin feel more open.

I agree. I sold my 2013 Model S to private dealer in Dallas. Tesla remarketing department offered me about 6500 less than the private dealer. They sold it within 2 weeks. The console is fine but it is a trade off. The smaller frunk on my 2018 P100D is a negative.

I also hate the stupid self closing charge port. Every time I try to use a non-Tesla charge I fight with it.
Fight how? Just open it whenever you need it by pressing on the door (with car unlocked), it should stay open way long enough to plug in a charger. There is also a way to do it with a remote control, but I find pressing it just when I need to plug in works best. With Tesla chargers of course the button on the handle does the same job.

• Helpful
Reactions: jaguar36
On the entry, how is this much better then self presenting handles on the S? Either way you have to grab the door to open, but at least when you walk by it with a key in the garage for example it doesn't open the actual door, which in tight garages is just asking for a ding. If you're parked on a driveway in the rain (I know, no rain in California so they don't think about that and prioritize things like autp-wipers months after delivering the car) and the car opens the door every time you walk by it with keyfob in your pocket. Also, with no actual handle, you have to keep telling people not to use the glass window to open and close the door (I've seen people go for the window when you tell them, "no handle, just grab the door").

You don’t have to grab the door of the X to open it with self presenting doors. It pops open when you are next to it, then swings open by itself when it has the clearance.

You can also press and hold the trunk button on your key to open the charge port. I use that every day ;-)
While we’re trading tips about such things, it took me ages to realize the good sequence is: unlock car, then remove charging handle, and that causes the car to release the J1772 adapter so you can remove it easily. For the longest time I did it in the wrong order — pulled the handle before the doors had unlocked — and I had to release the adapter with the fob as an additional step.

You don’t have to grab the door of the X to open it with self presenting doors. It pops open when you are next to it, then swings open by itself when it has the clearance.
Yea, that's a little better but still not better than just retracting handles for me. Door stay open for a while too in that video as you walk away. Also, passengers don't have a keyfob and they are likely to grab the door or window to "help the door", that's if they are not trying to pry the handle out. Lastly, we park our 2 Teslas in the garage close enough that I wouldn't be able to walk between them if they opened the door every time I'm near, so I would have to disable it, so then I have to grab it each time. I hope for those who do have a similar problem and a Model X that there is a GPS enabled disablement feature, so the auto-presenting doors don't auto-present based on location, similar to SAS raising. I also suspect that the "clearance check" is not along the entire edge of the door - for example, if we were to open both of our MS driver's doors when in the garage, they only overlap at the very corners of the glass. If we were to try to open or close them simultaneously, they would collide their glass windows (almost happened once - good thing they were not automatic). I bet 2 MX would simply shatter the glass as each closes their door not realizing the corners of the glass are going to hit. I waited a long time for the X, only to eventually test drive one and decide against it - lack of handles on front door was only one reason. That's not to say this won't work for other people, I can see people living in California not care if they have to wait for the falcon doors to open since it rarely rains there, or people with large garages enjoy the self presenting doors, but for us the X just wasn't practical at this time.

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png
o.png

Tesla Autopilot vs. Cadillac Super Cruise | Comparison Test | Edmunds

Tesla's Autopilot and Cadillac's Super Cruise are the most capable driver assistance systems available and provide a glimpse toward the future of self-driving cars. These semi-autonomous driving modes aren't the same, though. And while Tesla's Autopilot has been deployed on the Model S, Model X and Model 3, Super Cruise debuted this year and is available only on the Cadillac CT6. We drove an Autopilot-equipped Tesla Model 3 and a Super Cruise-equipped Cadillac CT6 to explore the system's similarities and differences in the real world. Read our review of the 2018 Cadillac CT6 here: https://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ct6/...

Love the tech in the new 2018 Range Rover. Found this very interesting video. Lets hope some of this tech finds it's way into the new versions of the Tesla's.

Rear Washer jet for rear camera (Video 4.32)

Rear door blind monitor - (Video 9.26)