Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife rashed one rim pretty bad (about 1/4 of the rim was gouged) a couple of weeks back and the Tampa Service Center took care of it with a repair that is now impossible to see. I should have taken a "before" photo and there's no point in posting an "after" photo.

Cost was $160.

Anyone with a P85+ (or any owners with the 21" Michelin tires) have any feedback on their propensity to get curb rash? I have a P85+ loaner car from Tesla service right now. Looking at the tires, it looks like the rubber extends out a bit more and causes the rim to actually be slightly recessed and protected compared to the 21" Continentals on my P85.

I think you can still get curb rash with the Michelin's, but they look like they might be a bit more forgiving. You might be able to slightly brush a curb and potentially escape any damage vs. the Continentals that seem pick up curb rash with any contact at all.

How are you guys/gals curbing the wheels? Is it mostly from parallel parking? Maybe trying to squeeze by another car when making a right turn?

The MS is significantly wider than any car I've ever owned (our SUV doesn't count because there's nothing to curb other than some rubber), so I'm sure I'm going to be extra cautious the first few weeks/months of having the car. It's been a very long time since I curbed a rim. I hope to keep extending that stretch.

It happened to me the day after I took delivery. I wasn't used to the width and the wheelbase after driving a Corvette. The rear wheel scraped in a right turn. I have ordered the Alloy Gators and will install when when I get the wheel repaired.

Had the car a few weeks, made a hard right and slammed curb! Sounded like I hit a wall.....
2013-04-29 13.34.41.jpg

From the look of the damage to the tire, check monthly for a bulge in that area and replace the tire if you see one. It's possible that there has been damage to the casing which typically shows up in about six months. (If you are not used to looking for tire damages, run your hand over the sidewall to feel for the bulge.)

As an update, I went with Rimblades to protect my rims. They are still holding up nicely for those interested in an option to alloygators that require a ton of work to install (cut, deflate, mallet, glue, inflate) . The difference is the Rimblades apply with adhesive so you just, clean, peal stick, press, and trim. No deflating issues or issues with reinstalls after you replace tires. 2000 miles after installing them, they are still holding even with a few scuffs.

As an update, I went with Rimblades to protect my rims. They are still holding up nicely for those interested in an option to alloygators that require a ton of work to install (cut, deflate, mallet, glue, inflate) . The difference is the Rimblades apply with adhesive so you just, clean, peal stick, press, and trim. No deflating issues or issues with reinstalls after you replace tires. 2000 miles after installing them, they are still holding even with a few scuffs.

You got pictures by chance?

Anyone with a P85+ (or any owners with the 21" Michelin tires) have any feedback on their propensity to get curb rash? I have a P85+ loaner car from Tesla service right now. Looking at the tires, it looks like the rubber extends out a bit more and causes the rim to actually be slightly recessed and protected compared to the 21" Continentals on my P85.

I think you can still get curb rash with the Michelin's, but they look like they might be a bit more forgiving. You might be able to slightly brush a curb and potentially escape any damage vs. the Continentals that seem pick up curb rash with any contact at all.

I am also interesting in hearing from the Perf + owners. Do you think the wider tires protect the rims better?

I had a great job done on my right rear wheel (scraped coming around a tight turn) down here in Santa Clarita (Valencia, CA) He charged $150, and you CANNOT see the repair. The wheel looks brand new. He spent about 2.5 hours on the one wheel.

Good info...but might be time for some Rim Guards...

From this comparison video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXMb6J3QI0 it looks like RimBlades are not nearly as robust as Alloygators. I've got over 13K miles on our Alloygators and they have taken a beating, particularly from my wife :~/ and are still holding up well. I did have to reseat two of them after a poor install with the wrong kind of hammer. if you go with Alloygators, try and find the exact hammer they use in the install video on their web site, a rubber mallet doesn't work well, I found that out the hard way. the right mallet makes the install MUCH easier! You must get the tongue all the way down to the bead, otherwise it will gradually back out over time.

Anyone have experience and knowledge about which product is better for rim protection? Alloygators or RimBlades?

Mine is a P85+. I damaged mine couple days ago after 4 months of careful driving! Couldn't sleep the night it happened!!
It's just gonna to happen, sooner or later. What sucks is, I was on this thread only a couple days before and was abt to order alloygators.

NigelM, was your better or worse than this?

Sunny

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 286
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 286
From this comparison video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXMb6J3QI0 it looks like RimBlades are not nearly as robust as Alloygators. I've got over 13K miles on our Alloygators and they have taken a beating, particularly from my wife :~/ and are still holding up well.
I'll be putting on the rim blades in a couple weeks.

I beat the snot out of the Alloy Gators and they held up really well, but I'm used to the car's width now and the Rim Blades look much less bulky so I'm willing to try and switch. The Alloy Gators are good, but they're rather bulky and I've always seen them as the lesser of evils (visible rash vs. the gators). Hopefully the Rim Blades will look nicer.

The Alignment place managed to scar up 3 out of 4 Rims on my wife's Sienna. They took it to a Wheel place and they were able to grind off the bad parts, and reshoot the clear coat. They look exactly like the factory Rims again. I suspect it's a little easier on Aluminum rims versus painted ones though.