Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agreed, being black, the gators just become a feature of the tire. it's hard to imagine going with another color unless you really wanted them to stand out.

I have the silver 21" wheels on my sig red MS.

My suggestion is that black looks better. It matches the tires and isn't subject to the differences in silver color. I don't have pictures handy but will grab some next time I can get the car out in sunlight.

Called Dania Beach Service Center in Forida to get an estimate. They are charging me $225 for installation.

I am considering the gators as well. Thought about installing them myself, but I figure it's safer to go professional (plus it looks like a fair amount of work). Any recommendations on an installer in the LA area other than Tesla, or would it be wiser to go with Tesla Service?

I have the silver 21" wheels on my sig red MS.

My suggestion is that black looks better. It matches the tires and isn't subject to the differences in silver color. I don't have pictures handy but will grab some next time I can get the car out in sunlight.

Does anyone have a picture of the silver gators on silver wheels?
I respect your opinion, FlasherZ, but I'm still curious if the silvers match or not.

Does anyone have a picture of the silver gators on silver wheels?
I respect your opinion, FlasherZ, but I'm still curious if the silvers match or not.

Oh well; I just ordered the black.
The coupon code didn't work for me, but I was still willing to pay.
My credit card company put a fraud alert on my card after I ordered. At least that makes more sense than the time my AmericanAirlines card got put on hold after I bought some stuff in the city that I flew to on American Airlines.

Anyway, any idea how long it takes the alloy gators to ship from the UK to CA?

Oh well; I just ordered the black.
The coupon code didn't work for me, but I was still willing to pay.
My credit card company put a fraud alert on my card after I ordered. At least that makes more sense than the time my AmericanAirlines card got put on hold after I bought some stuff in the city that I flew to on American Airlines.

Anyway, any idea how long it takes the alloy gators to ship from the UK to CA?

About a week or so. It was pretty quick IIRC.

Sent via Tapatalk

Clipped my rear grey wheel exiting the parking garage at work on Thursday. Velvet Touch Wheel Services in San Diego has a flat fee of $125/wheel for on-site repair. The owner noted that he has recently already repaired a number of other Model S vehicles in town. I believe they also service Orange County if anyone else in town runs into a similar issue. I'm hoping this is my first and last need for their services.

I'm pissed with myself. Scraped the front driver side wheel today. Have the AlloyGators but had not installed them yet. That is now moving to the top of my to do list. I am hoping that the AlloyGator will cover the minor scrape.

I'm pissed with myself. Scraped the front driver side wheel today. Have the AlloyGators but had not installed them yet. That is now moving to the top of my to do list. I am hoping that the AlloyGator will cover the minor scrape.

Similar thing happened to me today... Clipped a curb edge with the rear passenger side wheel turning into a tight parking lot entrance. I'm angry as well cause I've had my AlloyGators since before I got the car, but still need to buy a jack to install them.

Not exactly curb rash, but I scuffed the spokes on my 19's going through a carwash pretty bad yesterday. In one spot, it looks like it peeled off some sort of clear coating, but in other spots it's down to bare metal. I think the wheels must have been rubbing fairly hard against the carwash track system as it pushed the car through. Not dents or gouges though. I'm assuming it could be touched up or refinished, but don't really know who does this sort of stuff. Tire shops? Body shops?

Not exactly curb rash, but I scuffed the spokes on my 19's going through a carwash pretty bad yesterday. In one spot, it looks like it peeled off some sort of clear coating, but in other spots it's down to bare metal. I think the wheels must have been rubbing fairly hard against the carwash track system as it pushed the car through. Not dents or gouges though. I'm assuming it could be touched up or refinished, but don't really know who does this sort of stuff. Tire shops? Body shops?

You are lucky that the car wash tracks didn't rip up the tires (they have a tendency to do that). There are wheel repair shops that will powder coat or re-coat the wheels as GG says.

You are lucky that the car wash tracks didn't rip up the tires (they have a tendency to do that). There are wheel repair shops that will powder coat or re-coat the wheels as GG says.

It's not terribly bad, in fact you probably wouldn't notice unless you bent down and examined the wheels. It just pisses me off being a new car and all, and I even debated using the car wash for this very reason before I drove through.

My plan next fall is to buy a set of Nokian winter tires and put them on these rims, then get the 19" turbines mentioned in this thread and put the Goodyear all-seasons on them for next summer. These stock 19" rims that came with the car are going to end up doing winter duty (which is no picnic in these parts) anyway, so maybe I'll just live with the "scuffs" unless I can get them touched up relatively inexpensively.

FWIW, for those wondering if the AlloyGators will cover minor rash, the answer is "Yes" for the most part. I know where the rash is, so if I look I can see a little of it peeking out from under the AlloyGators, but from 5 feet away I'd be hard pressed to point it out. I'm really happy with mine.