Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this error on my August build dual motor. Yippy.

Hooray! Personally I would just assume nothing is wrong until it is not possible to make the error go away. Avoid service center at all costs! It's just steering assist, so it is not a big deal. I assume nearly all problems are just software problems, as these cars are extraordinarily simple (and so cheap to maintain :) ), hardware-wise.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
Hooray! Personally I would just assume nothing is wrong until it is not possible to make the error go away. Avoid service center at all costs! It's just steering assist, so it is not a big deal. I assume nearly all problems are just software problems, as these cars are extraordinarily simple (and so cheap to maintain :) ), hardware-wise.

The error cleared itself. So, okay I guess.

My M3 only drive 1500+ mile, i got my first alert on the morning. the monitor shows
Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced
tried the reboot, went out and back in. come back to the car a few hours later, and it still shows on next day.
driving is fine, no strange feel i can tell. but still schedule the service on next day, and got a loaner MS.
will update once Tesla find out what happened.

I had this same problem with my car when it was only a few weeks old. The issue was that it would say steering assist reduced which was annoying, Then the error message would pop up and I'd loose power steering, Which is a significant problem-if it happens at an inopportune time. The first trip to the SC they said it was a software issue, and they were not able to replicate the problem. They had if for a few days and the Service manager even drove it home one night. After it happened again i took a photo of the screen every time it happened, with the time date, etc.. from the screen. Since the car is fully instrumented they can look back at the data and they could see a voltage drop at the time it occurred. Without knowing what time it occurred it was hard for them to find because it was very brief. They did many software updates, and then they ended up replacing the part that controls and distributes power to the front half of the car with a newer version. They also replaced the 12v battery. On the first visit they replaced my steering rack, because Instead that I thought it was a bad power steering motor based on previous ICE cars when that part wore out, they behaved very much the same way.

What happened with yours? I got the same on my dual motor as well except my screen wouldn't come back on after turning it off through after on screen options which I didn't after it failed to both soft and hard reset. Had to be towed into the service center and I have no updates 24 hours in.

Fortunately in my case the problem cleared after a reset and hasn't come back. Sorry to hear of your trouble.