Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car takes over 5 minutes to "TURN ON" after long term parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After leaving the car parked and plugged in for a few days, the car takes a long time to TURN ON. Touchscreen and air conditioner are usable, the center console seems to be operational. It just says "CAR OFF". I even rebooted the center console. When it finished booting, it went back to waiting.

This goes on for about 5 minutes and finally it turns ON . During normal , everyday, type of driving, this does not occur.

I have taken two trips in the last month, and both times i was gone for more than two days, this happened both times.

Any idea what is the car doing during that time.

Thanks.

Take a pic of the "Car off" screen and the firmware version please. Also, what is the SOC (how many range miles left in the battery). Did you try to put the car into drive or reverse? This behavior hasn't been reported AFAIK. Also, TM knows when the 12V is going bad so that might not be the reason.

I just got back from a month long trip, and the only thing I noticed is that the walk up door unlock didn't work, I had to press the unlock button (I suspect they stop scanning for the key after a few days to save energy). I definitely didn't have any delay in being able to drive the car.

My car says "Car Off" every morning until I put my foot on the brake. Sometimes it takes 2-4 seconds of holding it on the brake for it to wake up.

That's normal behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got back from a month long trip, and the only thing I noticed is that the walk up door unlock didn't work, I had to press the unlock button (I suspect they stop scanning for the key after a few days to save energy). I definitely didn't have any delay in being able to drive the car.

That's normal also.

My "S" just went in for service for this exact same thing. It started doing it occasionally, but progressed to darn near every time I got in the car. I was able to get in the car, but the center console & speedo display would stay dark for a good long while and then finally reboot. We'll see what the service center says about it.

I am on code version 4.5 (1.33.54).

The SOC when it happened was about 212 miles or about 85% which is the limit that i have it set at. The car was left plugged in both times.

The console was not dark. It was operational, I even rebooted it. It just says CAR OFF. did not say anything about the key fob either.

I will report it to ownership.

Thanks.

I'll let you know when I get back home next Wednesday (taking a bit of a California vacation after TESLIVE). I've been watching my Energy Detective logs and see the car take about 5 kWh for two days, then skip a day, then take 5 kWh the next and so forth. I've never left the car parked before, so I guess this is the "top up" process at work (I left the car at 60% charge).