Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Black MY and love it. But I'm going to need a car wash. I've many other threads where the end point becomes that people are crazy by doing anything but hand washing their car.

Here's the thing, I live in Minnesota. My garage is not heated. Minnesota winters = salt. Am I going to ruin my car by going through a car wash. How do I tell which ones are better than others? Touch free vs. Soft Touch? What's the overall thought with the idea I am not hand washing my car...

Thanks!

Reactions: suprax
Had my model 3 for three years now. I’ve gone through the car wash tons of times. No issues.
However, my suggestion is to avoid car washes that pull your car through on those left wheel tracks.
I believe these types of tracks throw the front left wheel alignment off.
This isn’t a specific concern to Tesla though. I feel this is the case for any car.

Reactions: Coyote18
I'm currently hand washing my car but will also need to go through the automatic wash in the winter. I should do it now as I think I have a bunch of mud on the underbody from driving on mud-covered roads after Ida came through. I may try it today since I'm a little nervous about using Car Wash mode and would prefer to try it at a low-volume time vs the weekend....

Be careful when using a car wash with rails. The 20" Induction wheels can get easily damaged if you accidentally tap the sides. I know this from personal experience! If possible, you're better off finding a stationary car wash or one with a conveyer belt. If you have have no other option than a rail-based automatic car wash, it's better if someone is guiding you into the rails. If this sounds painful, that's why people recommend hand washing the car!

I've also had an issue with discoloration around the window trim due to a cheap car wash's acidic soap. I was able to fix this by carefully applying WD-40 and hand washing it afterwards.

Be careful when using a car wash with rails. The 20" Induction wheels can get easily damaged if you accidentally tap the sides. I know this from personal experience! If possible, you're better off finding a stationary car wash or one with a conveyer belt. If you have have no other option than a rail-based automatic car wash, it's better if someone is guiding you into the rails. If this sounds painful, that's why people recommend hand washing the car!

I've also had an issue with discoloration around the window trim due to a cheap car wash's acidic soap. I was able to fix this by carefully applying WD-40 and hand washing it afterwards.
Did the trim discoloration come from touchless car was soap? .

reading about this a lot today in prep for delivery.

Seems like hand washing or those self wash bays may be the best answe.

Did the trim discoloration come from touchless car was soap? .

reading about this a lot today in prep for delivery.

Seems like hand washing or those self wash bays may be the best answe.

Automatic car wash or touchless car wash places use the soap and coating solutions that is not good for your paint and rubber/plastic trims in the long run. They leave a thin film that will accumulate over time and your the surface will feel very rough (compared to good clearcoat surface) when touching it and rubber/plastic trim will be discolored.

I just received my Black MY and love it. But I'm going to need a car wash. I've many other threads where the end point becomes that people are crazy by doing anything but hand washing their car.

Here's the thing, I live in Minnesota. My garage is not heated. Minnesota winters = salt. Am I going to ruin my car by going through a car wash. How do I tell which ones are better than others? Touch free vs. Soft Touch? What's the overall thought with the idea I am not hand washing my car...

Thanks!
When I lived in an apartment before, during the winter months I would go to one of those self wash places, and used the wand to rinse all the salt out from the wheel wells and the underbody. When I moved to a house, I always hand washed. Even when it was below freezing... I just filled the soap bucket with hot water... If you are more anal, you can replumb your outside water spigot to connect to the hot water heater, which a lot of my friends did...

I’m glad to hear the debate about this topic. We took our MX through an automatic wash once a week with no issues, but I worry about the trim on the MY. Our local wash is automatic, but not touchless (I know, I know… but really, never had any issues with scratches). Does anyone know if the brush-type washes use a different solution than the touchless washes? I’ll be checking with the staff at the wash too.

I’m glad to hear the debate about this topic. We took our MX through an automatic wash once a week with no issues, but I worry about the trim on the MY. Our local wash is automatic, but not touchless (I know, I know… but really, never had any issues with scratches). Does anyone know if the brush-type washes use a different solution than the touchless washes? I’ll be checking with the staff at the wash too.
Yes, they shouldn’t need the extreme pH shift to dissolve dirt and grime as they have a mechanical way to remove. Just need a gentle detergent to soften and the. The brush cleans it away. Touchless needs to almost completely dissolve things so that water can remove it.

Reactions: elindley01
Yes, they shouldn’t need the extreme pH shift to dissolve dirt and grime as they have a mechanical way to remove. Just need a gentle detergent to soften and the. The brush cleans it away. Touchless needs to almost completely dissolve things so that water can remove it.
Thanks so much for the info. That’s exactly what I was thinking too.

My two cents on the matter: Since I had my Y July ‘20) coated with ceramic, I’ve been avoiding any auto car washes. Finally got around to trying the waterless car wash stuff from Meguilars. Took about 20 mins, looks great. I also have no garage.

In between washes I just hose the car off. Quick and easy, and the time I save get spent on cleaning the metal panels between the doors, and door jambs as dust etc builds up quick there.

My two cents on the matter: Since I had my Y July ‘20) coated with ceramic, I’ve been avoiding any auto car washes. Finally got around to trying the waterless car wash stuff from Meguilars. Took about 20 mins, looks great. I also have no garage.

In between washes I just hose the car off. Quick and easy, and the time I save get spent on cleaning the metal panels between the doors, and door jambs as dust etc builds up quick there.
When you hose, do you have to dry with a towel? Any water spots? Will be getting a ceramic coat soon (parking outside) as well.

Reactions: X-Chris