Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wow M3 drag race. Surprising result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.....and the job of marketing is to make that personal judgement as irrational as possible. Tesla did a pretty good job with this one, although I'm not sure if it was intentional. The P actually looked like the better value on UK launch day, but it certainly doesn't today!
I guess the popularity of the P is what has pushed the price up etc. Interesting if a £10k uplift is sustainable. Looking forward to seeing what happens when the Y is in the mix.

There are plenty of other P vs LR vs LR+ drag tests out there. They all give the same results, so the Carwow test seems legit to me. the Carwow test is one of the few throwing in the SR+ into the mix too, which is what makes it interesting.

The only result I noticed was that the Performance out performed the LR, did you see something else ?

But my 2nd observation is that the race was between a 2020 LR (without heat pump), and a 2021 P (with heat pump). So not an exact comparison.

And finally, I have not purchased a Performance to achieve “VFM” otherwise, I would be driving along like little miss daisy all day, in something far cheaper.

Watching this video and the Bjorn tests would concern me as a potential performance buyer. Why is the P acceleration so diminished when under 80% SOC? Seems to confirm the LR is the better car for UK real world driving on all counts?
Screen Shot 03-29-21 at 08.23 AM.PNG

So from 40%, the Performance power output basically goes into some kind of comparative "limp mode" compared to the LR....

Guess they must do this for some form of battery protection?

Personally if I had a P (still undecided), I'd want the performance rather than the software limiting my power to 120kw to eek out a few miles more range. And especially so when the LR doesn't seem to need to do that by quite so much.

Reactions: Yev000
.....and the job of marketing is to make that personal judgement as irrational as possible. Tesla did a pretty good job with this one, although I'm not sure if it was intentional. The P actually looked like the better value on UK launch day, but it certainly doesn't today!

My point is that what one person might see as 'irrational', could be perfectly rational for someone else with different priorities and circumstances. It isn't a case of right or wrong or better or worse. Just personal opinion (not fact).

To stretch the point somewhat, is a £10,000 Rolex watch actually £9,980 'better' than a £20 Sekonda? Rolex made $5.2 billion of revenue in 2019 so I guess some people must think so. I personally couldn't ever justify spending £10k on a watch, but I would like one on my wrist!

..... I don't think I have seen one P owner (or soon to be owner) in this thread attempt to suggest that non-P owners have made a bad decision. There have, however, been plenty of posts from non-P owners suggesting that P owners (or soon to be owners) have done. Read into that what you will.

If you are talking "on paper" VFM the M3 LR is where it's at. I was on the verge of ordering a LR last year and could have saved over 7K. However. I knew that there would always be a nagging voice at the back of my head that would have said "shoulda got a Performance".. So I did. Sometimes (and I would argue more than sometimes) it doesn't matter what "on paper" says. It's what the heart says.

That's why all of us to some extent want to justify our purchases. We are, perhaps seeking confirmation that listening to our "heart" was the right thing to do. Perhaps it is that sentiment that lies behind the whole rivalry between say polestar 2 and M3, LR and Perf or indeed Mercedes vs Audi Vs BMW? Why we choose A over B is more often than not a personal and emotive choice so while I might tease people over it. It IS their choice and who am I to say they made the wrong one, they should actually be congratulated for doing so..

So from 40%, the Performance power output basically goes into some kind of comparative "limp mode" compared to the LR....

Guess they must do this for some form of battery protection?

As I understand it, heavy acceleration can cause voltage sag which can be really bad for the batteries so Tesla are probably doing something to mitigate against that.

Layman's overview

I don't get it, if you have enough money to burn to think the Performance is worth the extra over the LR why don't you just get a proper car - a Taycan?
I'll bite :p the 70K taycan kind of isn't a competitor .. by the time you've added on things that are genuinely useful (bigger battery etc) it's getting on for an 80K+ car. So while it *is* a better put together car and probably better suited for many high speed runs, you do pay for it.

I'll bite :p the 70K taycan kind of isn't a competitor .. by the time you've added on things that are genuinely useful (bigger battery etc) it's getting on for an 80K+ car. So while it *is* a better put together car and probably better suited for many high speed runs, you do pay for it.
Yep, I looked at the Taycan out of curiosity - it was very expensive vs M3P. Personally I
could not justify that cost to the wife, who is the best gauge of whether I am in the right or wrong!! At least according to her 🤣

I will also note that I will not be putting down anyone that is on here that has made the decision to buy a Taycan, by suggesting that the ‘cheaper’ M3P is actually a better car “VFM” and faster acceleration etc etc. Because that would just be a bit sad really.

🤣🤣

If you are talking "on paper" VFM the M3 LR is where it's at. I was on the verge of ordering a LR last year and could have saved over 7K. However. I knew that there would always be a nagging voice at the back of my head that would have said "shoulda got a Performance".. So I did. Sometimes (and I would argue more than sometimes) it doesn't matter what "on paper" says. It's what the heart says.

That's why all of us to some extent want to justify our purchases. We are, perhaps seeking confirmation that listening to our "heart" was the right thing to do. Perhaps it is that sentiment that lies behind the whole rivalry between say polestar 2 and M3, LR and Perf or indeed Mercedes vs Audi Vs BMW? Why we choose A over B is more often than not a personal and emotive choice so while I might tease people over it. It IS their choice and who am I to say they made the wrong one, they should actually be congratulated for doing so..
Agree with the sentiment.

It's a shame that a discussion turns into things like "money to burn", "should have got a decent car", etc creep into the thread but that's just internet forums and keyboard warriors all over really.

I can see both sides of the LR versus P argument because I've just ordered an LR but am seriously still considering switching to a P.

Yes a video might show "0.1 sec faster" or whatever but having driven the LR and P back to back - the P just feels a LOT more quicker. It is more exciting. And an LR v P argument inevitably comes down to an emotional decision. I can't justify it from a financial standpoint but that if was the decider perhaps I'd be buying an MG or Kia :rolleyes:

A big negative for me now on the P is the video of the performance sub 40% battery. That is a bit of a shocker and although I'd only get down there on the odd long drive, it says something about the battery on the P versus the LR.

The ride was also crashier on the P whereas the LR was very comfortable.

The brakes on the LR feel mushy whilst on the P they are a lot more firm - translate into nothing on stopping distance but again we are back to "the feel".

I am also worried about the nagging voice of "should have got the P" if I do have the LR.

First world problems!

Reactions: s88ats and 2021_M3P

It's a shame that a discussion turns into things like "money to burn", "should have got a decent car", etc creep into the thread but that's just internet forums and keyboard warriors all over really.

I can see both sides of the LR versus P argument because I've just ordered an LR but am seriously still considering switching to a P.

Yes a video might show "0.1 sec faster" or whatever but having driven the LR and P back to back - the P just feels a LOT more quicker. It is more exciting. And an LR v P argument inevitably comes down to an emotional decision. I can't justify it from a financial standpoint but that if was the decider perhaps I'd be buying an MG or Kia :rolleyes:

A big negative for me now on the P is the video of the performance sub 40% battery. That is a bit of a shocker and although I'd only get down there on the odd long drive, it says something about the battery on the P versus the LR.

The brakes on the LR feel mushy whilst on the P they are a lot more firm - translate into nothing on stopping distance but again we are back to "the feel".

I am also worried about the nagging voice of "should have got the P" if I do have the LR.

First world problems!
Well written and agree.

We have a fair few 2021 M3P vehicles in our UK fleet now. I have not heard anyone mention a drop in performance at below 40% charge. I believe at very cold temperatures (that we do not get in the U.K.) that this might be a temporary problem... but it will be fixed for sure.

I don't get it, if you have enough money to burn to think the Performance is worth the extra over the LR why don't you just get a proper car - a Taycan?
Remind me does the cheaper version come with access to a decent charging network in the UK or do you have to get the 4S for that?
Oh no that's right neither of them. :p
If we are going to expand this (unexpected) discussion beyond the relative merits of different M3's then there are a whole load of other factors to consider than price vs performance

First world problems!
I bought when the price difference was at its minimum and was .not really a factor. For me it came down to ride and the ability to take a pothole without being worried I would lose a wheel.
There was also an issue of being able to justify it to my wife as "actually very sensible, cost effective and environmentally friendly option" while spending 3 times as much as I have ever spent on a car before. Something that was easier to do with the words "Long Range" in the title than the word "Performance" :)

I bought when the price difference was at its minimum and was .not really a factor. For me it came down to ride and the ability to take a pothole without being worried I would lose a wheel.
There was also an issue of being able to justify it to my wife as "actually very sensible, cost effective and environmentally friendly option" while spending 3 times as much as I have ever spent on a car before. Something that was easier to do with the words "Long Range" in the title than the word "Performance" :)
All good reasons then ;)

For me, I'd be running the P through my company so the actual net extra cost, post tax, would be £100 a month... for the P over the LR, all things being equal...

Reminds me of the saying of "smiles per gallon" :cool:

Reactions: 2021_M3P
Current car: 2020 Model 3 LR Acceleration Boost 19" alloys.
Will swap when available: 202x Model Y Performance. I may add aftermarket 19"s

I'm happy with & used to the performance of the current car when needed (safe overtaking) & the P version of the Model Y appears to be almost identical on paper.