Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are currently labor intensive to produce but there is nothing inherently cost prohibitive about carbon rims. Cloth and resin are just not that expensive. Its a matter of getting the pre-preg cutting and loading process down along with autoclave cycle times. It should not be long.

The key will be getting to reliable streetable 10lb rims. The CR rims are not so much less weight than high quality forged rims that they would warrant the price delta unless you just had to have carbon rims (my opinion of course).

Agreed with your opinion. CF rims are not that much lighter same diameter vs same diameter that they would warranty paying 5 digits (unless carbon rims are a must have). I am more than content with a set of 21" forged rims weighing in at 26.75lbs average per wheel for half the price.

IMG_6699.JPG

My chargeback from ESE has been approved and the bank will credit me for any interest and fees associated with the charge. Good thing since the wheels themselves appear to be vaporware.

I think the claims about testing were total BS -- yet another ploy by ESE in what increasingly appears to be a pyramid scheme.

For the sake of those who still have money at stake, I hope I'm wrong. But nothing ESE has done persuades me otherwise.

Reactions: u00mem9
But where may one acquire carbon fiber rims?

Carbonrev.com has been around at least 4-5 years.
I've physically seen their wheels on Porsches and Nissan GT-R. They obviously don't have a Model S fitment, (but a BMW fitment with a hub ring will do the trick).
19x9.5"+28
Price: $15,760.00 per set of 4 o_O
Weight: 18.3lbs per wheel
Load Rating: Unknown

BBS model FIR (and it's not even carbon!)
19x9.5"+22
Price: 7,900 per set of 4:(
Weight: 16.25lbs
Load Rating: Unknown

Funny how a BBS FIR wheel is lighter than the Carbonrev wheel 19 vs 19; identical in dimension. Carbon isn't always lighter. =)

Carbonrev.com has been around at least 4-5 years. I've physically seen their wheels on Porsches and Nissan GT-R.
They obviously don't have a Model S fitment, (but a BMW fitment with a hub ring will do the trick).
19x9.5"+28 Price: $15,760.00 per set of 4 o_O Weight: 18.3lbs per wheel

BBS model FIR (and it's not even carbon!)
19x9.5"+22 Price: 7,900 per set of 4:( Weight: 16.25lbs
Funny how a BBS FIR wheel is lighter than the Carbonrev wheel 19 vs 19; identical in dimension. Carbon isn't always lighter. =)

Good comparison of Carbon vs. Forged wheels ... and exactly why I run forged BMW M6 wheels on my Model S :cool:

I'm still in. Those BBS wheels can barely handle the weight of a 5000 lb Tesla. BBS F-IRs are rated at 1367 lbs per wheel, I would never put these on a TESLA 5000 Lbs plus 1000 lbs of cargo would exceed their weight specs.

ESE if it materializes is rated at 3X that at 3800 lbs per wheel. There is a reason you see no specs for a Tesla Model S http://bbs.com/pdfs/produkte/FI-R_2016.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I'm still in. Those BBS wheels can barely handle the weight of a 5000 lb Tesla. BBS F-IRs are rated at 1367 lbs per wheel, I would never put these on a TESLA 5000 Lbs plus 1000 lbs of cargo would exceed their weight specs.

ESE if it materializes is rated at 3X that at 3800 lbs per wheel. There is a reason you see no specs for a Tesla Model S http://bbs.com/pdfs/produkte/FI-R_2016.pdf

From all that has been posted here, it is a big IF.

Has anyone seen these wheels? How long do they test them? Still not even a glimpse?
With credit cards, I guess you can play the game. I think soon they will not be accepting credit cards because of charge backs.

I've been in digital payments for 20 years. This is not true. In fact, credit card rules state you can't even be charged until the product is delivered. You can file for a chargeback with your credit card bank and they will immediately refund the money to your account. They will then work with the merchant's bank to get to the bottom of the request. Since they haven't sent the product they won't have a leg to stand on.

Only if you do so within 60 days of the charge. Most folks here who've ordered these wheels did so long before that.

Of course they do -- no doubt they want to avoid charge backs. That's why I did a chargeback -- I think they need to suffer the consequences of the relentless lies they've been telling all of us.

Isn't one of the conditions of doing a chargeback is that you contacted the merchant and they refused to resolve the issue or refund your money? Are there actually consequences if they approve the chargeback/refund as soon as the bank contacts them?