Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the seller I bought mine from

Here's a link to the listing, says out of stock but may just be due to it being an old listing now

Do you use T-Mobile, AT&T, Tello or what network?

can someone tell me which power adapter i would need when i overclock my rpi 4 2gb ram with the following settings?

over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2147
gpu_freq=700

atm i use a 12v to usb c adapter it says it outputs 5v and 2,5A max
but i think its undervoltaged because it runs slower as with no overclock?

@Yipsan could you please let us know where exactly you bought your Alcatel USB modem. If it was at ebay - what specific vendor in ebay. From the Tesla Android support thread it seems that there could be different version of the Alcatel USB modem so to find the one that works with Tello it could be the specific version that you found. Thank you.
This is link to ebay where I bought mine.

can someone tell me which power adapter i would need when i overclock my rpi 4 2gb ram with the following settings?

over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2147
gpu_freq=700

Try
over_voltage=3
arm_freq=1800
gpu_freq=650

these work great for me, and i use a 12V plug -USB C 5v 3A max

I noticed today that when 2 phones are in the car, wireless CarPlay got a bit confused and drops off regularly and then reconnects, then repeats. If I offline one of the phone, then it’s solid. This never happened in previous versions. Not a big problem, but thought it’s a useful observation.

over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2147
gpu_freq=700

I think that for a rpi 4 it is recommended 3A which I believe it is the usb-c capability. My rpi came with a power supply rated at 3.5A.

I installed Zerotier on the tesla-android pi and forwarded 9.9.0.1 to the Zerotier IP assigned to my pi. This allows me to log into the tesla-android UI from any device also logged into Zerotier and be able to remotely shut the Pi down if I want the car to stop using the hotspot data and revert back to the car's LTE connection in case I forget to unplug the Pi when I park somewhere.

Also, the $15 boost mobile sim is working great. No surprise since it runs on the T-Mobile network supposedly, which has really good coverage in the Minneapolis area.

Reactions: timeshifter
Also, the $15 boost mobile sim is working great. No surprise since it runs on the T-Mobile network supposedly, which has really good coverage in the Minneapolis area.
Current Alcatel IK41UC LTE modem issues in USA seems to be less about what carrier is used & more about which revision of the Alcatel IK41UC you have. Only some are working with the current build of android-Tesla 2022.44.2. Seems there are a few out there so some highly technical deep os level work is going on to sort that out.

Not clear how to identify a North American Alcatel IK41UC which will work vs ones that do not when buying. We do not even see mentions of revision numbers on hardware boxes/product nor in advertising.

At this point I am sitting back eating popcorn while I watch the story pan out here:

My favorite way to use CarPlay via android-tesla lately is Listening to uncompressed flac audio or high quality compressed versions of my favorite music via tesla usb music player but also getting directions via CarPlay nav & CarPlay on screen. Siri nav audio overlays nicely on top of music. I don’t believe I could do this with my hansshow display console CarPlay system. I updated my 2022 model y usb-c to support data & power and leave a mini usb-c stick plugged in so no need to futz around in glovebox.

Reactions: Daekwan
I updated MY software to 2022.36.6 today but did not notice any improvement on the CarPlay itself in Tesla Android. I guess it was because I already overclocked it when it was running on 2022.24.13 previously.
I saw modest improvement when updating Tesla firmware to 2022.36.x from 2022.28.x. That update had a www browser improvement, I forget what. However, I saw MASSIVE improvement when I updated Tesla-android to 2022.44.2 . Right now the system almost feels as fast as an OEM product. My raspberry I has always been overclocked with an ice tower cooler (high profile).

I saw modest improvement when updating Tesla firmware to 2022.36.x from 2022.28.x. That update had a www browser improvement, I forget what. However, I saw MASSIVE improvement when I updated Tesla-android to 2022.44.2 . My raspberry I has always been overclocked with an ice tower cooler (high profile).
Don't get me wrong, Tesla Android 44.2 is a huge improvement from 38.1 for sure. But going from Tesla 2022.24.13 to 2022.36.6 did not show any better performance on my end. I probably need to clear my browser data and perform another reboot to check the performance again. It also might be because I was testing Youtube via CarPlay, which already lags. Not sure if in the future when Tesla Android supports hardware decoding would there be huge improvement or not. I'm waiting for the release if iOS USB tethering is supported and will test the Youtube app directly rather than via CarPlay.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla Android 44.2 is a huge improvement from 38.1 for sure. But going from Tesla 2022.24.13 to 2022.36.6 did not show any better performance on my end. I probably need to clear my browser data and perform another reboot to check the performance again. It also might be because I was testing Youtube via CarPlay, which already lags. Not sure if in the future when Tesla Android supports hardware decoding would there be huge improvement or not. I'm waiting for the release if iOS USB tethering is supported and will test the Youtube app directly rather than via CarPlay.
Ah what was trying to say was since you were already on Tesla android 2022.44.2 prior to updating to Tesla firmware 2022.36.6, the improvement due to the WWW browser fix was a but more subdued. I think I saw a note that hardware decoding is on the to do list. In theory this would speed up everything even more. Not sure how smooth it will get.

So I first I just want to say, great forum and very helpful!
And thanks to mgapinski for this awesome work-around!!

I set up my Tesla-Android this week and finally deployed to my M3P last night. I'd like to say things went smooth.... but no.
Here's my setup:

Rasberry Pi 4 8 gb - (Case is plastic, so it doesn't interfere with WiFi signal)
Overclocked with suggested settings

SanDisk 128 Gb SD Card - (Figured I would go bigger for future update, plus so cheap anyways)

CarlinKit dongle - (Got the CCPA version as it was listed in hardware suggestions)

Phone - iPhone 14 Pro Max. (for Carplay)

Everything hooked up VERY easy and with no hitch at first. Very responsive UI.
The problem comes once the CarlinKit is connected to the Pi and Carplay comes up, the CarlinKit disconnects right away and the music plays through my phone. After that it won't stay connected at all and I have to forget device and re-pair.
I've tried rebooting Pi and car, neither help.

Also I must say even after reading through a few forums, I still don't have a great grasp on the install/setup process. It's not a very organized process.
- Does't the phone ONLY have to pair with the carllinkit?
- Do you also need to pair it to the Pi?
- Do you need to turn on bluetooth tethering (Hotspot) in the Pi settings??
I think we need a bit more detailed setup/settings process and maybe a troubleshooting post with solutions.

Any help with my issue would be extremely appreciated! I'm very excited to get this working! (and looking forward to version 2022.45)