Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cat amongst the pidgeons - What if...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hypothetical question.

If BMW launched an M3 hybrid with 0..60 time 0.1 seconds faster than Tesla Model 3P, to start shipping before year end (ie they could fulfil your order before Christmas) and competitive in price to the Model 3, what would you do and why?

Assume for the question that you have not yet taken delivery of your Model 3 and delivery might be some time Aug / Sep.

I’d stick with my Tesla Model 3 order for several reasons:
- Pure EV not hybrid like the BMW M3 you’ve suggested
- Superior charging network
- I don’t care about 0.1 seconds performance
- It may not arrive in July but I’m confident it’ll arrive by September
- I actually want Tesla to succeed in their efforts to disrupt the market, they’ve placed a bet, so have I

- I actually want Tesla to succeed in their efforts to disrupt the market, they’ve placed a bet, so have I
What he said. Part of the change, not a follow on. Also, every other interior looks dated now.

Reactions: fakoriginal
Don’t forget that Tesla can send an OTA update that can make the car faster. Combine that with the issues of actually getting an ICE (or hybrid) to actually meet the factory performance numbers and the space compromises that a “tacked on” hybrid system has, I would stick with the Tesla.

What they ^ said.

I am totally uninterested in performance, just practicality (range and storage) and it has to be pure EV.

You mean series 3 hybrid?

330e already exists, unfortunately its slower than model 3 SR+... "0 to 62mph acceleration of just 6.5 seconds" Just under 40k

And I wouldn't touch it with a very long barge pole in a universe where Model 3 is an option.

Rumour is the next M3, which is due to debut in September, will be four wheel drive and depending on the rumours will have between 460bhp to 520bhp. If they made a hybrid version I dread to think how much power it would have. 600bhp? 700bhp? It’s already more powerful than anyone can reasonably use on the road. I could say the same about the model 3 performance but that didn’t stop me ordering one!