Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution - Selecting N (Neutral) by accident - almost caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Why not have a separate friggin stalk for AP? Why this silly design?
Because less is more. Until it isn't.
Robin

Last edited:
Neutral disables regen which can be useful when on icy roads.

Fair point, but you could also disable regen through the control screen. The number of times where you'd want to disable regen seems fairly low, so i think removing neutral makes some sense.

At least make it harder to get into neutral by changing from half a push up to a FULL push up

Fair point, but you could also disable regen through the control screen. The number of times where you'd want to disable regen seems fairly low, so i think removing neutral makes some sense.

At least make it harder to get into neutral by changing from half a push up to a FULL push up

It was the edge case of driving along and, due to conditions, wanting to go to neutral while decelerating, sort of like push the clutch on a manual.

Some automatic console shifters also allow drive to neutral transitions without pressing the side button, the level of detent likely more matches a full push versus half.

On the up side, at least the direction and wiper stalks are on a consistent side of the steering column now :).

I accidentally shifted my Model S into neutral quite a few times when coming back from driving rental cars on vacation. Always managed to get it back into drive without stopping. I think I've done it once so far in the 3, andI'm pretty sure was able to get back into drive without doing anything special.

Is that safe for the cars and carwash attendants in front of you? Doesn't seem so.o_O
I don't see how putting the can in N would be safer than D. It's not like I am mechanically disengaging a motor or a transmission. The car can roll in both directions in D (provided that creep is off, of course), and as long as I make sure I don't accidentally step on the accelerator it's all good. Been doing this for more than 3 years with my i3's and now also with the TM3 for the half dozen washes I had to do so far.

So not only did they change the stalk from left to right, they also changed the turn on from double click toward you to double click down? It is hard enough that now when switching between MX and Lexus, I kept turning on the windshield wiper on the Lexus. When I first learn how to engage the AP on the MX, I kept hi beaming the car in front by using the wrong stalk.

My ICE car's right stalk controls wiper function. Pushing up is a single wipe. When transitioning from my ICE to Tesla, I found myself accidentally putting the car into neutral when I just wanted a single wipe of the wipers. I never had any issue putting it back into D when I realized I had no throttle. I don't even think I stepped on the brake. Just down on the stalk and it goes back to D.

Ok just went for a drive to test out this issue......

If you hold the stock up in N (Neutral) while moving above 10mph or so the car goes into Neutral. This is what appears to have happened on the test drive above to an unfamiliar driver..

Here is what I discovered and should share..there are TWO ways to get the Model 3 back into Drive

1) As the pop-up message states, you have to press COMPLETELY press the brakes. That means stopping = Dangerous (I tried just holding it down lightly and that did not work as suggested above.)

2) The PREFERRED method that I just found out was...while coasting in NEUTRAL double tap DOWN on the stock to get the car back into drive WITHOUT having to stop..

Hope this helps someone...

This is new control behavior for Tesla. In the S and X you can engage drive while rolling just by pressing the stalk down to the drive position (second detent). I'd like some more consistency between their models.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It's the EXACT same in the Model 3, as has been said on this thread multiple times.

Really? The guy I quoted tested it and said that you either have to stop or double-tap the stalk down to engage drive while moving.

For clarification, that's double-tap to the second detent (like you would to engage Autopilot). The S & X can engage drive while moving with a single tap to the second detent.

Unfortunately, I don't have my Model 3 yet, so I can't film a video to show how it actually behaves. Perhaps someone else will oblige.

Really? The guy I quoted tested it and said that you either have to stop or double-tap the stalk down to engage drive while moving.

For clarification, that's double-tap to the second detent (like you would to engage Autopilot). The S & X can engage drive while moving with a single tap to the second detent.

Unfortunately, I don't have my Model 3 yet, so I can't film a video to show how it actually behaves. Perhaps someone else will oblige.
I believe this is because he said he was only going 10 mph. There may be a threshold for requiring the brakes to be pressed. He should repeat the test at or over 25 mph to see if the situation changes.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61