Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution - Selecting N (Neutral) by accident - almost caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not have a separate friggin stalk for AP? Why this silly design?

As the AP grows more reliable, I'd like to see an option to automatically engage when it has a high level of confidence. I suspect manually triggering AP over the lifetime of the Model 3 will grow less and less necessary. I mean, it's not like you can't manually steer, accelerate or brake if it's engaged.

Basically, I suspect the transition to AutoSteer will become so seamless that an extra stalk will feel like a vestigial organ.

Reactions: KJennerator
Depending on speed there are some cases where it is more efficient to coast down hill rather than convert that kinetic energy to chemical energy. Plus, sometimes it's just fun to coast because the car rolls so well and it's aero is so slippery.
Just so you know, in some states it's illegal to drive in neutral (e.g. coasting down hill). CA is one; not sure about MA.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and mongo
Just so you know, in some states it's illegal to drive in neutral (e.g. coasting down hill). CA is one; not sure about MA.

Thing I Learned.
California Motor Vehicle Code 21710 - Coasting Downhill Prohibited

Good thing an EV is always in gear ;)
I'll grant the case of 'may need to accelerate, and putting back in gear may not go well' argument given the existence of this thread.

On the opposite side of the vehicle/ route/ population spectrum, I enjoyed coasting the final mile+ home after cresting the closest hill in a carburated, non air conditioned, manual steering, manual transmission vehicle (engine off too on the non power brake version, not that there was anything to hit in the rural northern lower penninsula of Michigan).

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Depending on speed there are some cases where it is more efficient to coast down hill rather than convert that kinetic energy to chemical energy.

Yah, depends on the speed you want to go since faster is less efficient in general. Either you top out due to aero load (inefficient from a mechanical point of view), or due to regen + aero (inefficient from a mechanical to electrical conversion POV).

From a rules of the road POV: without regen, you'll top out when the aero load matches the potential energy conversion. If that point is above the speed limit, regen is prudent. If it is far below, you don't need regen.

Depending on speed there are some cases where it is more efficient to coast down hill rather than convert that kinetic energy to chemical energy. Plus, sometimes it's just fun to coast because the car rolls so well and it's aero is so slippery.

Sure, I coast downhill all the time. I never put it in neutral though, I just zero the regen line with the accelerator.

I think questionable things should be made hard to do, not impossible to do - perhaps a delay or having to hold the stalk longer as mentioned etc. I had many years in snowy winter weather in NE and it sometimes took unusual effort to navigate including neutral, on occasion, to prevent breaking traction from the drive wheels.

Here's a really dangerous thing which is way too easy to do - though I still blame the driver. You can turn our Audi OFF while driving, at seemingly any speed, if you hit the stop/start button. I know this because a family member let a dog get into the front seat and step on that button while the car was in motion.

Bad human, lucky it was just on our street going slow. But that button could have been on the dashboard surface vs where errant dogs or stupid human tricks can happen. So I blame the driver but the design didn't help.

Attachments

• IMG_7994.JPG
    IMG_7994.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: KJennerator