Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBL Forms Partnership to Open Tesla Supercharging Stations at Select CBL Malls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, first I've heard of a publically announced partnership for superchargers. I wonder how much this will cost per supercharger installed for the mall? Is there a federal/state/other incentive that would apply? Or are they purely seeing this as a ROI?

I actually hope not. IMO Federal/State incentives for charging infrastructure should not be brand dependent.

I actually hope not. IMO Federal/State incentives for charging infrastructure should not be brand dependent.

I would agree with you but the CHAdeMO installations are basically there for one brand at this point (Leaf) although I realize they aren't technically the only car that uses it. They are the only other car in any significant numbers other than the Model S that uses CHAdeMO though and they received some support for installations. Tesla said they are willing to share their Superchargers with the right partners so maybe it won't be brand dependent one day.

I see this as a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN.

Great for shopping centers: more customers, who spend money at their tenant's stores.
Great advertising for the Mall: Green issues, great for environment.
Great reason for Tesla owners and possibly other EV owners to visit mall, grab a bite, browse, shop spend money, get a charge.
Great PR for Tesla, have folks stop by and oogle the cars getting charged, engage in dialogue with current owners, start the whole process over again.
A lot of positive synergy at work here folks....

Yes this is the first deal. And I believe there will be more to come based on the quote below. Also, outlet malls make the most sense. Outlet malls are generally off major highways between areas with high population density. It would not surprise me if a major outlet mall developer signs on soon.

I don't know about a deal with an outlet mall developer, but second hand information says there's a supercharger going in at the outlet mall in Silverthorne, Colorado this summer.

In light of the CBL deal I checked and two of the existing SC spots, Folsom and Gilroy, are owned by Simon Malls(Browse all Shopping Malls). They have malls all over the place. The one that stuck out to me was Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon, Ca. This is between LA and Palm Springs, one of the so-called "Summer 2013" sites. And they are heavy in Texas and Florida. The Barstow outlets are owned by Tanger Outlets (Tanger Outlets: Outlet Mall Locations in the US) but I don't see anything obvious in their portfolio.

I particularly like this part (underlined):
“We have been working hard to bring in new charging stations across the U.S. to give our customers more opportunities to travel in their Tesla vehicles,” said Mateo Jaramillo, director of powertrain business development. “With this partnership, CBL is helping to enable free long-distance travel along heavily traveled routes in Florida, North Carolina, Illinois, and California, while helping to enable the transition to electric mobility.”
When the partners "get it" and reiterate it in their message, it's a very good sign.

Great idea at malls, but will be curious how it ends up working. Most EV chargers at malls you can plug in for 2-4 hours and get a hundred miles or so.now people will be using these chargers for trips etc... And need to use them quickly but as we all know so done will use the spot, just because they can and charge, and then go in shopping for 4 hours, leaving those who really need a charge waiting. At all other superchargers, people don't hang at them any longer than they have to, but malls could make it an issue. Especially with floridas reputation for kindness to strangers. ( yes I lived there for 12 years)

Supercharger Mall Deal

Some superchargers announced at some malls

Tesla Motors [NSDQ:TSLA] and CBL & Associates Properties Inc. have struck a deal to put Tesla's fast-charging technology at five malls across the U.S.
Five Supercharger points stations will appear at CBL-owned malls at Gulf Coast Town Center in Fort Myers, FL; The Pavilion at Port Orange in Port Orange, FL; Alamance Crossing in Burlington, NC; CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL and Imperial Valley in El Centro, CA.

From green car reports:

Tesla Strikes Deal To Open Superchargers At Five High-End Malls