TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rockford, IL Supercharger

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by jvonbokel, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

The difference signage looks to be a common trend with the new Superchargers coming online.
    In theory, you would want to use the EV Parking spots first. Then, if they are not available, use the 30 minute general parking ones. That should keep the ICEing to a minimum -- but yes, without the "ONLY" on the signs, there is still that possibility.

2. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

#62 Longhorn92, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    Yes, I believe it's more like 35 miles that are currently torn up (with trucks in the left lane and a 45 mph speed limit), plus the Westbound side goes to one lane for a while. It is VERY painful.

I must admit I can't really figure out what the signage means.

Does "30 Minute General Parking" mean anyone (including Model Ses/other EVs that are not charging as well as ICEs) can park in those four spots for up to 30 minutes? If you are charging (not using it as general parking), can you stay in those four spots longer than 30 minutes?

Then, the vague "Electric Vehicle Parking" signs on the other two spots don't really tell you anything. They might prevent ICEs from parking there (even without "ONLY" on the sign). But can any other EVs use those two spots even though they obviously cannot use the superchargers? It doesn't imply in any way that you should be charging while using these spots.

I understand that most of us (Tesla owners) would not park in a supercharging spot unless we needed to charge, but I think clarification would be wise for the general public. That being said, my "40" kWh car cannot use them anyway, so I will not be using these spaces... unless I unlock my 60 kWh battery and supercharging hardware some day.

3. Iggy

Iggy Member

ICEing like the van at the Superchargers in Normal Illinois?

In that article I explained what I was told in regards to why the signage is the way it is. Seems rather silly to me and also seems like a good way to cause unnecessary conflicts / drama. Especially with a very large parking garage like they have in Normal.

Tesla Model S Supercharging Uptown Station Parking Deck Normal Illinois | Iggy Uncensored

Honestly I'm not sure if this is just someone being lazy - maybe someone with a medical condition that really does need to have a close parking space. Honestly I think it is someone just being a jerk.

4. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I was up there several weeks ago and the mall police stopped by for a chat. He said that there are people charging up there every day.

5. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

FYI, for anybody that is a regular visitor to the Rockford Supercharger, I hear that Sam's Club sells $50 gift cards to Granite City Food & Brewery - 2 for $80.

6. Healy

Healy Member

3A and 3B aren't working. 1A is good. Called Tesla and they are already aware.

7. jeepn30

jeepn30 Member

I noticed this was closed on my map for a couple days. They replaced the units with newer ones that have the tesla lit in red at night. They also put in 2 more stalls, so now they have 8 instead of 6.

• Like x 2