Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay, more standards!
Reminds me of this XKCD comic:

standards_2x.png

Hello to all, I have read until my eyes are bleeding...I just ordered through Harumio (actually 2, one for each car) I got a confirmation EM form both them and Paypal.

For those of you who have used them can you let me know if I have the process correct?

I also gave my log in info via the email where they asked for I (same email where they ask if I want them to send me an invoice) ....is there anything else I need to do?
I thought I read somewhere about needing to create an account with them or something ? But I was never prompted to do that

I have tried chating in with them but it seems its not monitored.

Thanks

Hello to all, I have read until my eyes are bleeding...I just ordered through Harumio (actually 2, one for each car) I got a confirmation EM form both them and Paypal.

For those of you who have used them can you let me know if I have the process correct?

I also gave my log in info via the email where they asked for I (same email where they ask if I want them to send me an invoice) ....is there anything else I need to do?
I thought I read somewhere about needing to create an account with them or something ? But I was never prompted to do that

I have tried chating in with them but it seems its not monitored.

Thanks

If you paid the Harumio invoice already, you should see email order confirmation from Tesla Korea within 24 hours that shows Harumio ordered the adapter under your Tesla account. It will then take a few days for the adapter to be shipped from Tesla Korea to Harumio. No need to worry Harumio is really good just keep in mind the time difference.

Reactions: Choncho and Alset2
So I finally got to use it… drove the car down to 15% and preconditioned the battery for a near by supercharger. Battery preconditioning turned off and wouldn’t start again so I think I was up to temp…

Visited an EVGo station and plugged into a 350kW Signet charger. First impressions, this is way more difficult than superchargers. The cable is HUGE and very heavy/stiff, I could see smaller people and women not liking this. Especially if dressed nice and not wanting the cable to torque and brush against them and stuff.

I worried about strain on my charge port and actually saw the charge port flex some.

The EVGo station said to plug into car and then activate via RFID card or app (I think it also has a credit card reader). If you do that, the app shows it as “busy” and you can’t start the charge. So I had to unplug it (have to unlock the charge port via the Tesla app and then pull the cable and adapter out, don’t drop your phone… Then I activated it and it gave me 120 seconds to plug in before it would time out. I plugged in (had to open the charge port again while holding the heavy cable) and within about 30 seconds of communication it started charging.

Within a few seconds it was up to 496 amps and 383 volts and showing 189kW being delivered from the charger. It delivered about 14.6kWh in 5 minutes and 11 seconds and then the Tesla beeped at me and said charging had stopped. I got an email immediately from EVGo thanking me and saying it was $1.45.

I had to fuss around a bit with unplugging it and plugging it back in and trying to start another session. After four or five times I finally got another session started and plugged back in.

Session 2 started with the car now at 32% and it jumped right up to about 180kW. It was down to about 120kW by 53% and I kid you not, I heard a large CLUNK and the power to the surrounding shops went off and the chargers went dead. Literally sitting in the parking lot in Seattle looking at a Home Goods big box store with no power and their emergency lights inside on. The most wild coincidence ever or did I knocked the power out…. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

So a really messy session when looking at data, but it was 5 minutes and 11 seconds and 7 minutes and 3 seconds of active charging time to go from 15% to 53%. So just over 12 minutes for 26.8kWh and since it was charged per minute, the total was $3.48 or about 0.13/kWh. (Actual time spent at charger was 18 minutes because of the fuss having to restart the session.)

No one else was here, it was cheaper than Tesla, almost just as fast…

It’s more cumbersome, more likely to get clothes dirty if the cable is wet or dirty, and might put undue stress on the charge port

Over all I’m very happy I have this adapter but I likely will still pick superchargers when available. I think next time I need to use CCS I’ll park in the adjacent spot but use the charger for the spot next to me. I’ll be blocking a charger but there will be far less stress on the cable (cable originates on rear passenger side of vehicle and charge port is rear driver side). Obviously I’ll only do this if I’m staying with the car and will move if someone else needs it, but I’ll be more “brazen” to avoid the charge port stress.

(Side note, this is my first time seeing a chademo cable in person and I had to lift it up and move the cable so it wasn’t laying on the CCS cable and holy cow that thing is huge! You should be able to power a starship with that thing! Compared to Tesla, CCS cables should be able to do like 500kW and chademo should be able to do like 750kW just based on the heft of the cables!)

Also, I’m sorry to anyone that wants to go to Total Wine, Home Goods, or Michael’s if I knocked out the power…

Attachments

• 73B97516-5968-4CD4-9AC5-A581898CE1FE.jpeg
    73B97516-5968-4CD4-9AC5-A581898CE1FE.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 69AA6B7B-E3E2-4F2B-ABB5-67C988F6B41F.jpeg
    69AA6B7B-E3E2-4F2B-ABB5-67C988F6B41F.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2FD1CB8F-5AF9-4926-9A92-A32559F98F8D.jpeg
    2FD1CB8F-5AF9-4926-9A92-A32559F98F8D.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 55
  • C5CF867A-DF09-44F2-9E8D-306CB2BF2DE2.jpeg
    C5CF867A-DF09-44F2-9E8D-306CB2BF2DE2.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
So even I'm not sure where this "500A limitation" comes from.
Assuming the spec is actually for 400A continuous like the J1772 spec that @e of pi posted a screencap'd table from , then the 500A limitation would be the expected peak allowable (peak = 1.25 * max continuous; or in reverse, max continuous = 80% * peak) based on the normal rules for derating circuits for continuous loads. I'm not sure whether those electrical code rules actually apply between the DCFC cabinet and the charging post, but I would imagine that many people read the rule and just applied the conversion that they are used to seeing under the circumstances. So, the uninvolved, armchair analysts that talk about this may have thereby created a mythical 500A limit.

Plugshare is really good for determining what's working, where, the time you need it and I've been using it for that purpose since I started driving an EV. However your data may not be accurate because Plug share relies on social media posting to add to their listings. I know this because locally, I added 3 new Tesla stations that Plug share had no listing for. Additionally Plugshare has listings for some postings where the station is still under construction, but going to that station in the app you would know this because it would offer that from social media postings maybe but not always.
Not sure what "social media" has to do with it. I've added stations on Plugshare that weren't listed before. I didn't necessarily hear of them via "social media".

Maybe you mean that it depends on crowdsourced data, which is true for check-ins and true for some station additions.

I just poked through the marketplace and MY GOD. I AM APPALLED at the 200-300% ripoff some people are scamming people for on these.

Nobody's "time" is worth a 300% markup. Nobody should, morally, even be looking to fetch that much money for flipping something that took them near zero effort to acquire, and they did materially nothing to enhance the item's value - other than taking advantage of the uninformed.

I hope people can keep an eye on the Marketplace and fight this by reminding people that it's available for $315 or so through Harumio's concierge service, or $250ish through Delivered Korea and some DIY digital legwork to tie the two together. No part of this makes it worth $900+ under any circumstances, and thankfully the Marketplace forum is open to replies to warn people. Sadly, other sale platforms aren't so open to shady-seller-culling...

If you're so inclined to buy an adapter and flip it on a marketplace, then Jim Browning on YouTube can probably point you to a call center in India that pays well for morally bankrupt people to do similar work every day. Steady income, right?

Here's a quick snapshot of CCS1 adapter sales announced so far on the TCM "Parts for Sale" Marketplace:

CCS1 Adapters Sold on TMC Marketplace

Date Posted​
Asking Price​
Source Company​
Notes​
January 8, 2022​
$600​
SETEC / Lectron​
April 7, 2022​
$500​
SETEC / Lectron​
April 23, 2022​
$750(Canadian)​
Tesla​
on eBay​
April 28, 2022​
ongoing auction (~$1,000)​
Tesla​
on eBay​
May 3, 2022​
$1,000​
Tesla​
sold for $950​
May 4, 2022​
$900​
Tesla​
May 4, 2022​
$1,000​
Tesla​
allegedly a "joke"​

I just poked through the marketplace and MY GOD. I AM APPALLED at the 200-300% ripoff some people are scamming people for on these.

Nobody's "time" is worth a 300% markup. Nobody should, morally, even be looking to fetch that much money for flipping something that took them near zero effort to acquire, and they did materially nothing to enhance the item's value - other than taking advantage of the uninformed.

I hope people can keep an eye on the Marketplace and fight this by reminding people that it's available for $315 or so through Harumio's concierge service, or $250ish through Delivered Korea and some DIY digital legwork to tie the two together. No part of this makes it worth $900+ under any circumstances, and thankfully the Marketplace forum is open to replies to warn people. Sadly, other sale platforms aren't so open to shady-seller-culling...

If you're so inclined to buy an adapter and flip it on a marketplace, then Jim Browning on YouTube can probably point you to a call center in India that pays well for morally bankrupt people to do similar work every day. Steady income, right?
It's nice to see others that feel the same. I'm thinking of putting up a $1 listing on ebay that just has the instructions on acquiring them yourself. just have it constantly running. Maybe if I need to list something put a pen up for the $1

It's nice to see others that feel the same. I'm thinking of putting up a $1 listing on ebay that just has the instructions on acquiring them yourself. just have it constantly running. Maybe if I need to list something put a pen up for the $1
The prices have already been steadily dropping on eBay as more and more people acquire them and flood the market. Prices were $1,500+ and now they are below $1,000. Some "buy it now" ones are at $899 currently. Supply and demand in full force.

Also you have to remember, some people could care less if they can order through Tesla Korea. Harumio is quick but requires giving out your password. Delivered Korea will take 2-3 weeks. Time is money to a lot of people and even if you told them "hey man you can order it from here for way less" it wouldn't matter to them. Just want the adapter now and don't want the hassle. Most Tesla owners aren't even on this forum to begin with anyways.

My point is to each his own. Everyone places "value" on different things in life.

The prices have already been steadily dropping on eBay as more and more people acquire them and flood the market. Prices were $1,500+ and now they are below $1,000. Some "buy it now" ones are at $899 currently. Supply and demand in full force.

Also you have to remember, some people could care less if they can order through Tesla Korea. Harumio is quick but requires giving out your password. Delivered Korea will take 2-3 weeks. Time is money to a lot of people and even if you told them "hey man you can order it from here for way less" it wouldn't matter to them. Just want the adapter now and don't want the hassle. Most Tesla owners aren't even on this forum to begin with anyways.

My point is to each his own. Everyone places "value" on different things in life.
I guess it hits a nerve with scalpers and the computer industry and generally just taking advantage of people. Now with the bots a sniping hardware before consumers can buy it and reselling at 2-3x the price if not more. Then to see it turned around on the same forum that freely shared the how to and gave people a higher comfort level in the process.

Ebay was less of an issue vs seeing it happening here.

Using DELIVERED Korea along with ordering with my Tesla account on the Tesla Korea shop worked for me. It did require some experimentation and creative use of Google Translate to get the right parts of the address in the right boxes. Note the caveat that it only works for 3 and Y - not for S and X.
A possible reason why it has not been released in North America (just thinking) is that maybe Tesla wants to try it in a limited market to make sure the greater weight of the CCS cable and plug do not damage the car's power socket.
May I ask how your experience has been with Canadian CCS chargers?

I got mine in 6 days from payment to doorstep and others a couple days more from Harumio, not sure where you are getting your times from. Located in Montreal Canada or the east coast if you prefer. West coat/east coast is no different by air FYI. They ship via DHL or FedEx.
Same question, has the adapter worked out well for you? I'm considering a Deliver Korea order too.

Same question, has the adapter worked out well for you? I'm considering a Deliver Korea order too.
Yep, worked fine at the Petrocan charging station although I have not tried anywhere else however according to a bunch of other people here on the forum, it works on all the ccs chargers they have tested in Canada and the States. My second adapter is arriving on Monday since we have 2 Teslas.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Yep, worked fine at the Petrocan charging station although I have not tried anywhere else however according to a bunch of other people here on the forum, it works on all the ccs chargers they have tested in Canada and the States. My second adapter is arriving on Monday since we have 2 Teslas.
Their site suggests changing my Tesla password prior to ordering. Did you do that? Your suggestions??

Rich