Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice!! I think this basically confirms that the max speed will be around 180-190kW on these adapters and the charging profile seems to be roughly the same as superchargers.

In some cases it might be cheaper to charge at a CCS station vs Tesla. EVGo was $0.29/min in WA & could be $0.25 if you sign up for $4.99/mo (you get a $4.99/mo credit, so basically free but you need to at least spend that much charging each month).

I think most cases you’ll be able to do 5% to 80% in 40 minutes or less which would be about 56kWh and would be ~$10 on the EVGo station or $0.178/kWh! I’m almost positive Tesla is more expensive than that in WA…
Barely. If you pay attention to what time of day you go, the superchargers I go to in WA are only 18 cents/kw. Seems wierd EVGo is charging by the minute when you can charge by the kw in WA.

Reactions: echen
In my opinion Harumio has provided a valuable service. Relatively quick, easy, professional, and affordable. Look at the alternatives:
  • Don’t get adapter.
  • Pay outrageous markup on “At bay.”
  • Wait for Tesla to get around to releasing the adapter. (When?)
I have no problem paying their very reasonable markup.

Caveat: Not being compensated in any way by anyone for this opinion.
Harumio did well for me.

Reactions: KJD
eBay took over payment processing from PayPal in the last year or so and upped the fees. The fees are ridiculous now and honestly have been for awhile. I remember when you didn't even think about eBay fees when selling something as it was no more than 5%.
Hey, hey, not quite. I hate PayPal, the company - they're shady as hell, accountable to nobody, and I've seen too many horror stories. After they showed they didn't want to play nice with my new bank (weird, opaque errors, glitches, not-letting-me-choose-it-as-an-option), I detached as much of my life as I could from PayPal. The only thing left was eBay, but I'd cash it out immediately.

When eBay offered Managed Payments (internal payment handling), I jumped on it with open arms and haven't looked back. There are no fees, actually - the fees for selling are the only ones you have to pay with Managed Payments, versus the previous arrangement of paying for the listing, paying for shipping, and paying PayPal fees. At least now, you just pay the listing & shipping - which is reasonable, in my opinion. I'm a "more active than usual" eBayer - selling about 1-2 things a day on average (some days 0, some 4, some 2...), and have been with 'em since... what, 1998, 1999? ... and they've got some crusty legacy-system problems, but nothing show-stopping. I appreciate how easy they make it for non-members to buy things, but it's not without its issues. Probably 95% of sales end up without any issues, the remaining 5% are resolved simply enough. A rounding error of percent end up being absolute nightmares.

Wanna know what Apple takes from App Store purchases? 🙃

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and Rocky_H
When eBay offered Managed Payments (internal payment handling), I jumped on it with open arms and haven't looked back. There are no fees, actually - the fees for selling are the only ones you have to pay with Managed Payments, versus the previous arrangement of paying for the listing, paying for shipping, and paying PayPal fees. At least now, you just pay the listing & shipping - which is reasonable, in my opinion. I'm a "more active than usual" eBayer - selling about 1-2 things a day on average (some days 0, some 4, some 2...), and have been with 'em since... what, 1998, 1999? ... and they've got some crusty legacy-system problems, but nothing show-stopping. I appreciate how easy they make it for non-members to buy things, but it's not without its issues. Probably 95% of sales end up without any issues, the remaining 5% are resolved simply enough. A rounding error of percent end up being absolute nightmares.
I think you missed the point. eBay fees used to be 10% plus the 2.9% you would pay PayPal directly for a 12.9% total fee to the seller (and used to be even lower than that). When eBay took over managed payments they upped the fee to 12.4% and told everybody it was great because you would be charged less fees than the 12.9% total fees (eBay + PayPal) you were currently paying. Shortly thereafter eBay upped the fees again to the 12.9% you currently see today. I have no issues with the eBay managed payment system, I am merely speaking to the fees charged.

Can’t wait to get a 1099-K from eBay at the end of this year too 🤮

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Barely. If you pay attention to what time of day you go, the superchargers I go to in WA are only 18 cents/kw. Seems wierd EVGo is charging by the minute when you can charge by the kw in WA.
I wish Tesla showed the supercharger cost in the app or online. I’m still using free supercharger miles but I thought last time I glanced they were like $0.28-$0.35 per kWh. Admittedly it would be a small savings, a couple bucks at a time, but I thought it was cheaper.

I was surprised about the billing… same cost for either the CCS or Chademo with that charger… someone is getting screwed over. Chademo would be like 70 minutes to do 5-80% on a LR Y and would be ~$20.40, the CCS would be like 40 minutes and $11.60…. Same amount of energy delivered to the car and honestly more expensive for EVGo demand wise with CCS…

Reactions: FalconFour
I wish Tesla showed the supercharger cost in the app or online. I’m still using free supercharger miles but I thought last time I glanced they were like $0.28-$0.35 per kWh. Admittedly it would be a small savings, a couple bucks at a time, but I thought it was cheaper.
Yeah, they don't make it easy to find the cost. You have to tap the SC on the display in the car. For the two SC i go to in WA, they are 37 cents kw between 11am and 8 pm and 18 cents between 8pm and 11 am.

Reactions: KJD
With that being said, I think anyone paying $900+ for the adapter is cRaZy, hahaha...
Actually, some people $900 is pocket change and they would find it too easy to just buy on ebay than to go through the convoluted gauntlet of dealing with a buying service, giving up PW and waiting for weeks when they discover a need due to a trip plan. Those who spend the money for a Plaid but only just to show off to their friends the acceleration.
Frankly, I fear being on my planned trips where there are no Tesla SC so while I hesitated the $318.50, I felt it was better insurance going to ChargePoint as opposed to back tracking a whole day of driving. I seriously have no plans to spend money charging on CCS to save 4-5 minutes because it may be a little faster when I get free SC from Tesla. Overall, my one trip plan will pay for the CCS adapter unless between now and the Fall Tesla puts in a SC or two where there are gaps in my travel map.

BTW- I too set up a special PW for this transaction.

Reactions: Jeremy3292 and mnev
Since I got corrected for calling Plugshare "social media APP" when I should have used "Crowdsource data" I have to correct you. It is not cents per KW. It is kilowatt hour or KWH. If you paid per KW of the charger your 350KW connection would cost you $63 at 18 cents. ;) Somebody else was corrected for calling a DC CCS "Level 3"

Is TMC a Crowdsource Data site or social media? Whatever...

My experience with Delivered was 10 days, and much of that was due to the product arriving at Delivered's warehouse on a Friday afternoon. Others here have reported 6 days, and mine would have been 7 or 8 if not for the weekend. It is, however, more difficult to do if you don't read Korean and/or don't understand how Korean addresses work.
Mine just shipped last night. So it took 5days for the order until they shipped it. Tracking shows it will be here Wednesday. So another 3 business days or 10 days total if you count the weekend.

So you suggest the changing of the Tesla PW prior to ordering from them is the prudent thing to do, correct?

Rich
Rich, I did that. Of course, you can give them your current password and change it after to a new one, if you are ready to change passwords anyway. The only thing I wouldn't do is leave the password the same after they had it. I don't mistrust them, but no reason to take a risk that it leaks out to someone who would take advantage of it in some way.

Reactions: TravelFree and KJD
It is not cents per KW. It is kilowatt hour or KWH.
If you're going to make a pedantic post correcting someone's usage, it's bad form to use incorrect unit symbols while you do so. In SI, the kilo- prefix uses a lowercase 'k' and the hour uses a lowercase 'h' (Note, the hour is technically not in the SI, but is one of the outside units that is accepted to use with the SI). KWH would actually be Kelvin-Watt-Henry, kilowatt-hour is correctly written kWh. Well, super technically, since I'm being a pedant myself, it's kW⋅h but kWh is the commonly used and accepted form. :)

If you're going to make a pedantic post correcting someone's usage, it's bad form to use incorrect unit symbols while you do so. In SI, the kilo- prefix uses a lowercase 'k' and the hour uses a lowercase 'h' (Note, the hour is technically not in the SI, but is one of the outside units that is accepted to use with the SI). KWH would actually be Kelvin-Watt-Henry, kilowatt-hour is correctly written kWh. Well, super technically, since I'm being a pedant myself, it's kW⋅h but kWh is the commonly used and accepted form. :)
But the reality is that while everybody will understand without error any capitalization of the letters, it's not a big deal. And frankly, while kW and kWh are very different things, most people also will understand what the person wrote, though there are some who will compound the confusion, so it's good to remind people of the difference between power and energy.

Though it's interesting that when paying for charging, we all want to pay by the kWh, in fact we know we care even more about the kW, and to fake this out, we have chargers that give different prices for kWh depending on how many kW they give rather than admit that.

Reactions: cwerdna
Can I just pop in here and say that I completely approve of this pedantry 🙃

though tbh: "kW" when meaning "kWh" (or vice versa, though more rarely mistaken) is utterly batsh*t incorrect, confusing, and wrong (as kW is one thing, kWh is another), but KWH vs kWh, I'll let slide. Gotta have limits to the pedantry, ya know? 😂

Hey, hey, not quite. I hate PayPal, the company - they're shady as hell, accountable to nobody, and I've seen too many horror stories. After they showed they didn't want to play nice with my new bank (weird, opaque errors, glitches, not-letting-me-choose-it-as-an-option), I detached as much of my life as I could from PayPal. The only thing left was eBay, but I'd cash it out immediately.

Wanna know what Apple takes from App Store purchases? 🙃

Aside: Elon Musk co-founded X.com in 1999. Interesting that he made some early millions ($175 to be precise) off of the sale of PayPal (= X.com + Confinity) to eBay (in 2002).

But back to the topic at hand, I no longer sell on eBay. I occasionally buy (small stuff), and there are no fees. So that's not my problem. My biggest complaints now are over eBay's constant screwing with the search function. Years ago, the eBay search and saved-searches functions were the best. Now, due to greed and stupidity, eBay has made them more like the Amazon model, where it seems ever-more-difficult to search precisely and accurately for exactly what you want. Instead you get what eBay wants to show you. And the ever-increasing amount of on-page non-eBay advertisements. All very annoying.

Reactions: DrGriz
kWh is the commonly used and accepted form. :)
I'll try to remember that when in the company of electrical engineers from California. :)

But for you're reference, I got my engineering degree in '67 so I decided to see what others recognize in the 21st century.

It seems it doesn't matter. Real engineers still understand it regardless of the letter case and know it's not Kelvin which is temperature based on the context. :D

Hoping someone here can help me. Been trying for hours to order the CCS adapter off the Tesla Korea site with no success. Others seem to have no difficulty with this part of the process. Two different credit cards and a debit card, three different browsers.
  1. I am able to login to the website and follow a link to the item and put it in the shopping cart. When I go to check out, I check the two disclaimer boxes and the credit card that was originally associated with my US Tesla account appears automatically.
  2. When I click the button to Purchase, it seems to be processing but then a popup box slides in and there is an error message, (translated through the Google translate/lens app), either Payment was declined", or "This currency not accepted. Select a different payment type".
  3. There is the one credit card that seems to carry over from US Tesla account and option to add a new card. Select new card option, and fill in info on a different card. Checking the disclaimer box at the bottom expands to reveal two more form fields, one translates to "6 digit registration code" that is actually asking for a date (YY/MM/DD) and the other a two-digit PIN. Reading online a couple of posts have said that they used the last day of the month for the expiration date (month and year) for the card, and the first two digits of the PIN (I'm assuming the three-digit SEC code on the back of the card that is frequently used on shopping websites.
  4. Click on Submit button and the popup form goes away without any message that adding the new card was successful. However, the type of card and the last four digits now show at the bottom of the original Purchase/Checkout form on the right, and when I click to Purchase, I get the error message again. The card I just attempted to add is not in the list of already added cards.
  5. I checked with my credit card company and there have not been any purchase attempts received, so the error is happening prior to the request for funds from the Tesla website to the credit card company. It's not that the purchase is being blocked in any way. I wish that were my problem, because that's an easy fix. I tried adding the credit cards on the US Tesla site and then accessing them on the Korea site, but that didn't work either.
Anyone have any insights on what I need to do differently?
Was anyone just able to use the credit card that was already associated with your US Tesla account?

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod