Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious: a number of people seem to have tested on 350 kW chargers where they could find them. Has anyone tested a low-SOC, prepared-battery best-case test on one of the "150 kW" stations EA or anyone else has? What kind of amps and volts did you see? I'm curious how it compares to the "350 kW" station best-case amps/volts.

I'm curious: a number of people seem to have tested on 350 kW chargers where they could find them. Has anyone tested a low-SOC, prepared-battery best-case test on one of the "150 kW" stations EA or anyone else has? What kind of amps and volts did you see? I'm curious how it compares to the "350 kW" station best-case amps/volts.
Doing some quick math, the "150 kw" chargers are limited to 350A, so that means if you have pack voltage around 370v when at low SoC, you would pull about 129kw max.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and FalconFour
The resellers are all taking a risk, in that they order a part, pay about $330 for it and it takes a couple of weeks to come. Some day -- much later than we would have wished -- Tesla will announce them for sale on the Tesla site for around $200. They may thus lose money on the ones they got. In theory at least. In practice there will be people who don't know about the Tesla availability and probably still pay enough for a profit, and even a loss won't be that much.

People are calling these folks scalpers, but most of them are just putting them up for auction, and it is the buyers who are deciding to bid these prices, either because they want it now-now or just have too much money. I have to say I understand discomfort in giving people a password (even though you can apparently create a 2nd account to do it.)

Now, it seems the business for Harumio would be to give you an adapter for free. You would give them your password. They would buy two adapters with your account. Sell one on ebay, give you the other. They would make good money out of that at today's prices. More than they are making with their service.

Delivered Korea will take 2-3 weeks.
My experience with Delivered was 10 days, and much of that was due to the product arriving at Delivered's warehouse on a Friday afternoon. Others here have reported 6 days, and mine would have been 7 or 8 if not for the weekend. It is, however, more difficult to do if you don't read Korean and/or don't understand how Korean addresses work.

First impressions, this is way more difficult than superchargers. The cable is HUGE and very heavy/stiff, I could see smaller people and women not liking this. Especially if dressed nice and not wanting the cable to torque and brush against them and stuff.
I second this sentiment. I will only be using CCS when Superchargers are not readily available. But having options is critical to smooth road trips. Waiting in a long line to charge at a Supercharger is not cool when there are lots of open CCS chargers a mile away. (Not to mention being able to use CCS chargers helps out other Tesla drivers by not adding to an overloaded station's line.)

People are calling these folks scalpers,
Honestly, they aren't even scalpers. Scalpers buy up supply so that you have no choice but to go thru them and pay insane prices, like concert tickets or toilet paper, and such... This isn't what is going on here. It seems they are simply making a quick buck on impatient people that have no desire to wait, becuase they want something now, now, now, lol.

Its not that hard to figure out how to get this straight from korea.. Especially for this thing. You either know what a CCS/TPC adapter is, or you don't. If you don't know what it is, you won't be buying one. If you know what it is, then unless you live under a rock you heard about the official CCS adapter back when Elon first mentioned it, or from the myriad of articles everywhere talking about it being available in korea..... As far as how to obtain one, even my wife figured out how to buy beauty products from korea via a proxy service ages ago.... For the common person, most people I talk to that haven't done their own research/diligence, don't actually care about getting a CCS adapter, becuase they tell me they bought their Tesla specifically for the Supercharger network. If they were that anal about charger compatibility, they would've gotten a chademo adapter, or would've already done research on the CCS adapter.

With that being said, I think anyone paying $900+ for the adapter is cRaZy, hahaha...

The ebay sales is one thing if people bid them up so be it they are willing to buy them. When I was talking about scalping I was mainly referring to people taking the information on here about the process to get them. Then turning around and selling them here for $1-2k starting price.
Instead of helping people get them on their own.

Reactions: alexcue
The resellers are all taking a risk, in that they order a part, pay about $330 for it and it takes a couple of weeks to come. Some day -- much later than we would have wished -- Tesla will announce them for sale on the Tesla site for around $200. They may thus lose money on the ones they got. In theory at least. In practice there will be people who don't know about the Tesla availability and probably still pay enough for a profit, and even a loss won't be that much.

People are calling these folks scalpers, but most of them are just putting them up for auction, and it is the buyers who are deciding to bid these prices, either because they want it now-now or just have too much money. I have to say I understand discomfort in giving people a password (even though you can apparently create a 2nd account to do it.)

Now, it seems the business for Harumio would be to give you an adapter for free. You would give them your password. They would buy two adapters with your account. Sell one on ebay, give you the other. They would make good money out of that at today's prices. More than they are making with their service.
I'd also add ebay fees, and often free shipping. I think my chademo ended up selling for at least $100 more than I paid for it MSRP... but I also paid sales tax + shipping + a remarkably high set of ebay fees. I doubt I made more than $20 in the end, and there's always some risk for sellers in ebay transactions.

I'd be more angry about the ones setting high Buy it now prices, but customers tend to like buy it now and setting it low and knowing that the bids would have gone higher isn't a popular move for sellers to make.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
eBay fees are 12.9% now just for reference

Holey mackerel! I used to occasionally sell on eBay, but I stopped years ago. I had no idea it had gone up so much. Does that include the cost of the ad, and the percentage of the sale, or just the latter? And the 12.9% doesn't include the PayPal fees to receive money from a buyer, correct?

I like Craig's List. You have to be careful, but if done right it is good for buyer and seller.

EBay has become just too greedy and evil, imo. Plus, they keep $^&ing up the search function, which pisses me off no end.

Reactions: jsight
I'd also add ebay fees, and often free shipping. I think my chademo ended up selling for at least $100 more than I paid for it MSRP... but I also paid sales tax + shipping + a remarkably high set of ebay fees. I doubt I made more than $20 in the end, and there's always some risk for sellers in ebay transactions.

I'd be more angry about the ones setting high Buy it now prices, but customers tend to like buy it now and setting it low and knowing that the bids would have gone higher isn't a popular move for sellers to make.
Yeah, ebay fees are quite high now. But of course for the adapter that sold for $1500 or even $900 hardly a problem.

eBay strategy is a complex thing. In hot markets it is usually recommended to put it for bid at $1, because that generates more bidders who track the auction and will bid it up. Scared people use higher prices.

But indeed, sometimes the best strategy is to set a high buy-it-now that attracts a wealthier bidder who doesn't have time to dick around with auctions and is willing to pay a premium to just get it done -- and get the item faster. All buyers today must want it faster because Tesla will sell it cheap "any day now," hah-hah.

A new strategy I have seen recently is people putting it out with a ridiculously high "buy it now or best offer." That lets you get offers and take one if it's better than you think you could have gotten other ways.

eBay is a generally efficient market. I don't think it's scalping. But it is Tesla that should be doing the selling, not middlemen. The funny thing is, it is the hatred of scalping that causes companies not to sell directly in the auction markets, which is what causes the scalpers. The classic example is bands. 10% of fans may be willing to pay $1,500 for concert tickets, but it looks bad to the fans if the band charges that. So the bad puts them up at a below market price, and they sell out quickly and scalpers grab as many as they can to sell to those richer fans. So in the end, instead of the band getting the money from the richer fans (which either rewards the band or makes other tickets cheaper) the middlemen get all the money. All because people say "I hate scalpers."

Reactions: jsight
Holey mackerel! I used to occasionally sell on eBay, but I stopped years ago. I had no idea it had gone up so much. Does that include the cost of the ad, and the percentage of the sale, or just the latter? And the 12.9% doesn't include the PayPal fees to receive money from a buyer, correct?

I like Craig's List. You have to be careful, but if done right it is good for buyer and seller.

EBay has become just too greedy and evil, imo. Plus, they keep $^&ing up the search function, which pisses me off no end.
I hate the seller is always wrong. I sold a volt mobile charger on ebay and the guy said it was damaged. Ok fine return it.
When I got it back the j1772 handle was all smashed like he ran it over with his car. I compared the pictures and mine had a nice big scratch on the body but the returned one did not. I fought with ebay how could my item mysteriously not have a scratch that was pictured in the auction? They still sided with the buyer and he got a free mobile charger.

My wife sells a lot as well and the buyers can do whatever they like and we just eat the cost.
Been selling a lot of my car stuff now on letgo. I'd rather just deal with the people directly.

eBay took over payment processing from PayPal in the last year or so and upped the fees. The fees are ridiculous now and honestly have been for awhile. I remember when you didn't even think about eBay fees when selling something as it was no more than 5%.

I hate the seller is always wrong. I sold a volt mobile charger on ebay and the guy said it was damaged. Ok fine return it.
When I got it back the j1772 handle was all smashed like he ran it over with his car. I compared the pictures and mine had a nice big scratch on the body but the returned one did not. I fought with ebay how could my item mysteriously not have a scratch that was pictured in the auction? They still sided with the buyer and he got a free mobile charger.

My wife sells a lot as well and the buyers can do whatever they like and we just eat the cost.
Been selling a lot of my car stuff now on letgo. I'd rather just deal with the people directly.

Yes. Wow, that is an incredible story. So sorry. Unfortunately, years ago sellers were running roughshod over buyers, so eBay clamped down on sellers--but maybe too much and for too long. Right now, I see eBay as doing the least to tax themselves and the most to make money, at the cost of buyers and sellers. Not a good marketplace, in my opinion. Unfortunately, alternative suction sites don't seem to "take off" and we are stuck with $%^& eBay.

Just got the adapter today from delivered. 182 kw max on 350 Electrify America charger (Model Y Performance). Just need to get my Model 3 ccs enabled now.

Attachments

• 6722794F-801B-46AF-8864-8D51B8D5A91A.jpeg
    6722794F-801B-46AF-8864-8D51B8D5A91A.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 07DE7C3B-09DD-4A80-9E13-F8FCC78F4091.jpeg
    07DE7C3B-09DD-4A80-9E13-F8FCC78F4091.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 57
Just got the adapter today from delivered. 182 kw max on 350 Electrify America charger (Model Y Performance). Just need to get my Model 3 ccs enabled now.
Nice!! I think this basically confirms that the max speed will be around 180-190kW on these adapters and the charging profile seems to be roughly the same as superchargers.

In some cases it might be cheaper to charge at a CCS station vs Tesla. EVGo was $0.29/min in WA & could be $0.25 if you sign up for $4.99/mo (you get a $4.99/mo credit, so basically free but you need to at least spend that much charging each month).

I think most cases you’ll be able to do 5% to 80% in 40 minutes or less which would be about 56kWh and would be ~$10 on the EVGo station or $0.178/kWh! I’m almost positive Tesla is more expensive than that in WA…

Nice!! I think this basically confirms that the max speed will be around 180-190kW on these adapters and the charging profile seems to be roughly the same as superchargers.

In some cases it might be cheaper to charge at a CCS station vs Tesla. EVGo was $0.29/min in WA & could be $0.25 if you sign up for $4.99/mo (you get a $4.99/mo credit, so basically free but you need to at least spend that much charging each month).

I think most cases you’ll be able to do 5% to 80% in 40 minutes or less which would be about 56kWh and would be ~$10 on the EVGo station or $0.178/kWh! I’m almost positive Tesla is more expensive than that in WA…
We have already seen charging speed > 200 kW