Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have a Korean address to ship to, as I registered with Delivered Korea. Harumio will be my next option, if none of the suggestions here work, and if they respond to my request for an invoice that I sent yesterday morning.
Harumio responded promptly to both email and the Chat box on their website when I ordered. We never aligned at the same moment due to the time zones, but communication was fine.

Did we ever have a discussion about the max charge rate of the adapter? It’s rated for 500V and 300A, but Tesla‘s are 400V packs so in theory the max would be 120 kW. Now I’m assuming the 300 is the rated amps, so it could sustain pulling 500 amps or more for a short period of time. I know users have posted getting 200 kW or more, but I’m wondering how safe that is for extended use over time?

Reactions: team2step
Can confirm... was using Google Translate camera on my phone to translate parts of the order flow that didn't auto-translate properly otherwise. It seemed at first to mean "save my card in general :D " but it actually meant to "use this card for all future Tesla transactions" and thus needs more Korea-financial-specific info. I ended up getting my first (primary) card declined because I guess they don't like how spicy Korean ramen is, or something, but my CashApp card worked fine. Yet another reason I love me some good CashApp.
Helpful info, thanks! And checking out CashApp card as well.

Reactions: FalconFour
There was some chat earlier in this thread about the ability to *rely* on non-Tesla fast-charging stations actually working, and what the stats on this actually are. This story has some sobering numbers.

When you venture outside the Tesla supercharger network, you realize how much more common place it is for chargers to be down.

Finally made my way to an Electrify America CCS station today to test out the adapter. I input the local Tesla supercharger into the navigation to precondition the battery before arrival. My impressions are below:
  1. One stall was out of order and one latch was broken on the CCS handle on an active stall. Cables are extremely hefty and unwieldy. This location seemed pretty beat up.
  2. It took me a while to figure out how to operate the station even though I watched a YouTube video before. The phone reader is not the same as the credit card reader which it took me a while to find out lol. Definitely a little more difficult than just using a supercharger.
  3. I only got to 133 kW despite this being a 350 kW rated station and having preconditioned the battery before arrival. This could be because my SoC wasn’t low enough at 25% and/or because it took me 10 minutes to actually get connected and charging after arrival, thus allowing the battery to “cool down” some. The one station that had the connectors in the proper spot for a Tesla (back left) was out of order which I didn’t realize until after I had parked. Then I had to figure out which stall was next best for my charge port location after that.
  4. Non-member cost was $0.43 per kWh versus $0.31 per kWh if you are a pass member ($4/month). $0.31 per kWh is in line with local supercharger pricing.
  5. The CCS adapter never really got hot or even warm at all. The ambient temperature outside was 73° F for reference.
  6. This whole experience gave me anxiety about Tesla opening up the supercharger network to non-Tesla‘s as my incohesive experience at this CCS charger is likely the same or worse experience a non-Tesla EV would experience at a supercharger. The CCS charging stalls are in different spots for different EV charge port locations. Tesla superchargers are only in one spot.
  7. This EA station is at a local Sam’s Club and as fate loves irony, there were long lines at the gas station while I was charging. Pic below 😄.

F0BEBC89-9BBA-4081-B289-FC88E8CBDAEE.jpeg

Finally made my way to an Electrify America CCS station today to test out the adapter. I input the local Tesla supercharger into the navigation to precondition the battery before arrival. My impressions are below:
  1. One stall was out of order and one latch was broken on the CCS handle on an active stall. Cables are extremely hefty and unwieldy. This location seemed pretty beat up.
  2. It took me a while to figure out how to operate the station even though I watched a YouTube video before. The phone reader is not the same as the credit card reader which it took me a while to find out lol. Definitely a little more difficult than just using a supercharger.
  3. I only got to 133 kW despite this being a 350 kW rated station and having preconditioned the battery before arrival. This could be because my SoC wasn’t low enough at 25% and/or because it took me 10 minutes to actually get connected and charging after arrival, thus allowing the battery to “cool down” some. The one station that had the connectors in the proper spot for a Tesla (back left) was out of order which I didn’t realize until after I had parked. Then I had to figure out which stall was next best for my charge port location after that.
  4. Non-member cost was $0.43 per kWh versus $0.31 per kWh if you are a pass member ($4/month). $0.31 per kWh is in line with local supercharger pricing.
  5. The CCS adapter never really got hot or even warm at all. The ambient temperature outside was 73° F for reference.
  6. This whole experience gave me anxiety about Tesla opening up the supercharger network to non-Tesla‘s as my incohesive experience at this CCS charger is likely the same or worse experience a non-Tesla EV would experience at a supercharger. The CCS charging stalls are in different spots for different EV charge port locations. Tesla superchargers are only in one spot.
  7. This EA station is at a local Sam’s Club and as fate loves irony, there were long lines at the gas station while I was charging. Pic below 😄.

View attachment 802373
I’m waiting for Harumio to send mine over. I plan to keep it in the console bin along with my J1772 adapter, so that I will have more options, and have an easier time in general. Going south on 35 through Oklahoma, I think EA at the Walmart in Moore will work better from a logistical standpoint than the OKC supercharger, which takes my several miles out of my way.

Also, it alleviates concern about the Perry supercharger, which has had reliability issues of late.

There was some chat earlier in this thread about the ability to *rely* on non-Tesla fast-charging stations actually working, and what the stats on this actually are. This story has some sobering numbers.

If you actually read the "survey", you would realize how ridiculous it is.

According to the survey, over 1/4 of the "failures" at Electrify America involves the cable not being long enough to reach the vehicle's charging inlet.

If you have ever been at an Electrify America's charging station, you would realize how long the cables are.

There are some companies that charge their electric buses at Electrify America's charging stations.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for Harumio to send mine over. I plan to keep it in the console bin along with my J1772 adapter, so that I will have more options, and have an easier time in general. Going south on 35 through Oklahoma, I think EA at the Walmart in Moore will work better from a logistical standpoint than the OKC supercharger, which takes my several miles out of my way
I'm leaving on a road trip in a week or two, and was going to test out EA, as one of the stops, there's an EA with two 350kw chargers basically across the street from a v2 Supercharger.. If it works out, it will open up more food options at other stops, especially if it means I can skip a v2 SC and go for a 350kw CCS charger.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and kayak1
Honestly, my experience at EA has been pretty much 10/10. Always works, but doesn't always run at full capable speed. Just like Supercharger sites, the electrical load of these crazy-huge-power installations is often managed for grid demand, so if you charge at 5pm on a Tuesday, you're much more likely to end up observing throttling than if you did the same at 1pm instead.

Most non-Tesla networks seem fairly well oiled - at least, if you're familiar with the process (be set-up with the app and login before going, get there and locate the station in the app and swipe to start). Can be even better if you set up the network's card in Apple Pay first, for example (activate Pay, switch to the card, tap to activate).

BTW, kW ratings are an incredibly obtuse way of measuring these third party stations. It's harder to predict/decipher if you're not familiar with basic electrical principles - so knowing those will help. 350kW stations are often referring to a 500A/800V capable machine, and thus will get you 190kW (380v/500a). 150kW stations can be harder to characterize - at EA I was at a 150kW station that also had a 500A limit and thus went full speed (150kW) but the station plate on the side said it was a 500A station after all! So, maybe software limited? Who knows. But don't rely on those kW ratings - try to know their amps :)

FWIW, on my trip this week down to Florida, I used an EA station with my Chademo adapter and the experience was not noteworthy (good thing?). I plugged in my adapter, opened the app, selected the station, swiped then it was charging.

I only got 50kW but we had to stop for a zoom call from work and given the EA station’s convenient placement for where we were on the road, I figured it made since to be charging at some rate while we had the meeting rather than make a stop and not charge at all (the meeting time was very rigid).

Worked out pretty ok all things considered and I’d still much rather have a CCS adapter for faster speeds but I think the reliability is improving for EA.

Did we ever have a discussion about the max charge rate of the adapter? It’s rated for 500V and 300A, but Tesla‘s are 400V packs so in theory the max would be 120 kW. Now I’m assuming the 300 is the rated amps, so it could sustain pulling 500 amps or more for a short period of time. I know users have posted getting 200 kW or more, but I’m wondering how safe that is for extended use over time?
Good question. If I see the adapter exceed rated amperage, I will take temperature of the adapter as that would be a good measure of the durability of the device. I have a scanning IR thermometer I use to measure heat in electrical equipment. But my plan is to use it mostly with my Model S and it probably won't exceed 200KW unless the battery is at optimum preconditioned. I only ever hit that one time on a 250KW supercharger. Since, I rarely do 160KW peak. My Model Y is a different story and that frequently would peak for a few seconds at 250KW but since I no longer get free SC on the Y I only charge at home now. We use the Y for local driving and on trips go in the S as it is a better road tripper.

According to the survey, over 1/4 of the "failures" at Electrify America involves the cable not being long enough to reach the vehicle's charging inlet.

If you have ever been at an Electrify America's charging station, you would realize how long the cables are.

There are some companies that charge their electric buses at Electrify America's charging stations.
It was not a survey of EA in particular, but DC fast chargers in general. EA may not have a charger configuration issue regarding cord reach to vehicles, but for DC fast chargers that do have this problem, this would presumably pose a significant practical issue for drivers seeking a charge. And there are other categories of problems. The next wave of people now coming to electric cars will likely not be dedicated EV enthusiasts who are willing to spend significant time figuring things out. Especially when it comes to charging on the road, they will want something that 'just works' without a second thought. Tesla is pretty much there with its Supercharger network. Other networks still need some improvement.

Reactions: cwerdna
Tesla is pretty much there with its Supercharger network. Other networks still need some improvement.
Tesla has some structural advantages that are going to make it challenging for other charging providers to provide equivalent services. Primarily, Tesla's advantages are related to them being entirely vertically integrated. They make the cars, they make their own charging equipment, and they run their own charging service. This lets them design holistically. They put all the charge ports in the same place on all their cars, which simplifies design requirements for the charging hardware. They can offload billing communications and validation to the car side instead of having to do it on the charge equipment, which lets them do plug and charge much easier. Tesla builds their own software for and controls design of the infotainment system, which gives them a direct and simple approach to having the car navigate to their charging stations. Etc.

Other EV manufacturers and charging providers can do many of these things, but it's going to be harder and more costly for them.

They say specifically there are EA stations that the cables can't reach the Bolt's port. Not that hard to find complaints on Bolt forums about this.
More frustration with Electrify America
Charging at Electrify America - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum
Electrify America problems...
(and also the "secret handshake" thing that has to do with EA + Bolt combo).
Minor empiphany regarding Electrify America site issues

Last edited:
They say specifically there are EA stations that the cables can't reach the Bolt's port. Not that hard to find complaints on Bolt forums about this.
More frustration with Electrify America
Charging at Electrify America - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum
Electrify America problems...
(and also the "secret handshake" thing that has to do with EA + Bolt combo).
Minor empiphany regarding Electrify America site issues
Imagine if someone parks a Tesla vehicle head-in at a Supercharger so that the cable won't reach and count that as Supercharger failure.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
It was not a survey of EA in particular, but DC fast chargers in general. EA may not have a charger configuration issue regarding cord reach to vehicles, but for DC fast chargers that do have this problem, this would presumably pose a significant practical issue for drivers seeking a charge. And there are other categories of problems. The next wave of people now coming to electric cars will likely not be dedicated EV enthusiasts who are willing to spend significant time figuring things out. Especially when it comes to charging on the road, they will want something that 'just works' without a second thought. Tesla is pretty much there with its Supercharger network. Other networks still need some improvement.
This video is pretty interesting. It's a 1000 mile "race" between an Audi Q5, a Model S Plaid, and a Mach-E... One of the interesting things they pointed out, was that it was not actually the chargers per-se that screwed over the Mach-E... It was the the route guidance in the Mach-E that sucks. He was saying, that because of the way the superchargers are vertically integrated, the Tesla will tell you availability, and can plan accordingly if the SC is full/busted/etc... The Mach-E on the other hand, does not have/present this information. In this race, the Mach-E kept directing them to a charger that was offline. They were pissed at one of the stops, becuase when they called the support number, support said they saw the charger was offline on their end... But this information was not relayed to the Mach-E. Because there were no chargers close by, they had to L2 charge for a bit, and then go off course to get to a working charger. They were so far off course, they had to completely skip the waypoint in the race. They even found some of the chargers in the Mach-E navigation were misclassified. Some of them were marked as DC Fastcharging in the navigation, but when they arrived, it was actually a 7.2kw L2 charger. Their conclusion was to not trust the navigation in the car, and use the EA App to find chargers. A bit extreme, but was an interesting take.

Here is the in depth video from the first day, that shows more details of what went wrong for the Mach-E team.