Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a guy on eBay that had some of these, new and still the box. Just tested it out on my 2022 Model S and was getting 358 mi/hr charge from a 150kw Electrify America charger. Very happy!View attachment 829840View attachment 829841
Did you actually get 244kW out of their 150kW charger, or is that just what EA is reporting that your car told it is the maximum that it could accept? (Since EA bills based on the maximum your car can accept, not the maximum that is achieved.)

Did you actually get 244kW out of their 150kW charger, or is that just what EA is reporting that your car told it is the maximum that it could accept? (Since EA bills based on the maximum your car can accept, not the maximum that is achieved.)
I think it's a bug in the EA app when you don't subscribe to Pass+. I noticed on mine, while I was subscribed to Pass+ it always showed the maximum that my car actually received from the charger... So in my case, up to 190 kW. However, once I left Pass+ lapse, I noticed all the history in my app, now it just says 215 kW, which I know isn't what I actually received... But it says that for all my sessions, even ones that I know I only received 149 kW, etc...

Dashboard data shows instantaneous 99kW (424V x 234A). Receipt shows 31kWh for a ~20 minute session or 93kWh if it had been charging for an hour. So I'd say close to 100kW for the charging session.

I think it's a bug in the EA app when you don't subscribe to Pass+. I noticed on mine, while I was subscribed to Pass+ it always showed the maximum that my car actually received from the charger... So in my case, up to 190 kW. However, once I left Pass+ lapse, I noticed all the history in my app, now it just says 215 kW, which I know isn't what I actually received... But it says that for all my sessions, even ones that I know I only received 149 kW, etc...
I've only tried EA 6 times since getting the adapter besides taking an extra minute or two to connect the adapter and initiate a charge it has worked well. I am a pass + member and 5 times it reports 215 kW max charge rate and one time reports 158 kW max. Actual avg kWh/hr charge rate for each session has varied from 73 kWh/hr (started SOC 54 so expected low) to 148 kWh/hr (started SOC 8%). The one session that reported the 158 kW max rate averaged 98.3 kWh/hr (on a 150 kW charger). Generally pleased with the adapter and the EA experiences so far.

Reactions: bmackey55
I've only tried EA 6 times since getting the adapter besides taking an extra minute or two to connect the adapter and initiate a charge it has worked well. I am a pass + member and 5 times it reports 215 kW max charge rate and one time reports 158 kW max. Actual avg kWh/hr charge rate for each session has varied from 73 kWh/hr (started SOC 54 so expected low) to 148 kWh/hr (started SOC 8%). The one session that reported the 158 kW max rate averaged 98.3 kWh/hr (on a 150 kW charger). Generally pleased with the adapter and the EA experiences so far.
Maybe it was an app or server update then, where they broke that functionality... Because I've logged over 20 charging sessions, and they all reported correctly..... But currently, every single one of them, now just says 215 kW. Which is odd, because I'm talking about sessions that used to show the correct number before my Pass+ lapsed.

EA_1.png

EA_2.png

See what I mean? These are for the exact same charging session. The first one is from a screen cap I took of the history page a few weeks ago, and the second one is from a few minutes ago... The app is no longer reporting it correectly.

View attachment 829873

View attachment 829874

See what I mean? These are for the exact same charging session. The first one is from a screen cap I took of the history page a few weeks ago, and the second one is from a few minutes ago... The app is no longer reporting it correectly.

Actually they probably fixed the app/backend, and it is now correctly reporting the max charge rate that the car asks for. (Since that is used by EA to determine the rate you will be billed at per minute locations.)

Of course, if you are not at a per minute location it is less valuable.

Actually they probably fixed the app/backend, and it is now correctly reporting the max charge rate that the car asks for. (Since that is used by EA to determine the rate you will be billed at per minute locations.)

Of course, if you are not at a per minute location it is less valuable.
Makes me glad that so far the states I've traveled thru, are billed per kWh. I'd hate to have to pay for the highest tier for the entire session, even if the car only pulls that rate for a fraction of the session duration.

I received my CCS adapter a month ago and tested it at a local EA station in Collinsville ILI nav’d to a nearby SCer and arrived at the 350 kWH EA station with a 14% SOC. My charging rate peaked at 197 kWH, I charged for a few minutes and it didn’t increase, I stopped at 22% SOC. I then drove to the V3 SCer about 1/4 away and saw 234 kWH at about 22% SOC.

Reactions: masotime
All my recent charging has been in California where charging now is per kWh. I did check my history for when I charged under the old charge rate based system. I'd used EA for a BMW i3 and Chevy Bolt which charged at the lowest tier. Also a Hyundai Kona that barely was over the lowest tier and was very cost ineffective to use EA. All the histories for these pre-2020 sessions have had the max charge rate set to 0 - I know it used to display the max rate the car would accept back when the tier based charge system was in effect. So it's likely an app change or too has changed things. Still doesn't explain why my one session doesn't show what appears to be the default of 215 kW. This was at an Electrify America site (stockton walmart) that was set up in late 2019 but I was never able to charge there - look like it went live in 2020 sometime. the other locations showing 215 kW Auburn and San Jose Valley Fair were set up more recently.

This is all new to me so I'm not able to answer your question. I do know this, it added over 100 miles of range in 19 minutes of charging.

Christmas update of our simple CCS (North American) compatibility poll:

Collecting data this way can be a little haphazard:
  • Dates provided can be date car was delivered (and papers signed), date produced (may be weeks or months earlier), or something else. Some include day; some not. Need consistency. (Have ended up using date-delivered, but date-manufactured would be better.)
  • Easy to introduce errors (I've found a few of my own).
  • Issue of "enabled," "not supported," or "not installed" which I ignored (apologies if it turns out to be important).
But this is just an informal sample. So far the pattern seems to agree, for the most part, with Post #672 (by AlexUS), who I think said:

Models 3 & Y

- 2018 - February 2020: CCS adapter not supported (Gen3 ECU; PN 1092755)
- March 2020 - June 2021: CCS adapter supported (Gen4 ECU; PN 1537264)
- July 2021 and later: CCS adapter not supported (again?)

Models S & X

- 2012 - 2019: CCS adapter not supported (relatively simple hardware retrofits and software updates available for Europe and North America to fix this)
- 2020 and later: CCS adapter supported right from the factory
You say CCS adapter NOT supported for 2018 Model S and X and that “relatively simple hardware retrofits and software updates available for Europe and North America to fix this.” Okay, but how and who has done this successfull, and, more importantly, when will Tesla offer this retrofit?

You say CCS adapter NOT supported for 2018 Model S and X and that “relatively simple hardware retrofits and software updates available for Europe and North America to fix this.” Okay, but how and who has done this successfull, and, more importantly, when will Tesla offer this retrofit?
I have retrofitted my 2017 Model X successfully: DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in My US 2017 Model X

Also there is another post for Model S: DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in US Model S

The hardware part is easy. The most difficult part is changing the gateway config

I have retrofitted my 2017 Model X successfully: DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in My US 2017 Model X

Also there is another post for Model S: DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in US Model S

The hardware part is easy. The most difficult part is changing the gateway config

First, here is a slightly more up-to-date chart showing results of our non-scientific poll: CCS compatibility for Models 3 & Y.

The informal poll results indicated that before March 2020, Tesla cars probably lacked CCS capability. And that there was a period (~7/21-10/21) when they lost CCS capability (due to chip shortages). (We can, if we want, assume that patterns for Models S & X are similar, but that may not be true.)

Second, with the benefit of hindsight and increased wisdom I would probably revise my 12/25/21 Post language (if I were able). In Europe Tesla offers older Model S and X drivers the option to purchase hardware retrofits (installed by Tesla) to make cars CCS-enabled. This is so that they can use CCS2 adapters there. I assume, but do not know, that such a (similar) retrofit would allow North American cars to use CCS1 adapters.

Regardless, it is a moot point because few if any North American owners would be able to take advantage of the European Tesla CCS retrofit program.

IMO, the best things for CCS-interested North American Models S and X owners of older cars to do are to:
  1. Check for CCS compatibility in their car. (You know how to do that, right? [a] Center touchscreen; Software screen; [c] Additional Vehicle Information box. Assume that car's prior to 2020 are not CCS-enabled, but check anyway.)
  2. If handy, adventurous, and/or brave, utilize DIY procedures outlined in TMC posts (e.g., see references above) to make your car CCS-enabled. (I do not recommend this, but it is an option.)
  3. Or if (appropriately) cautious, wait for Tesla to eventually offer the CCS retrofit option. While this is arguably the safest option, it is anyone's guess as to if and when Tesla will offer it. All we have to go from is Tesla's existing retrofit program in Europe. Tesla has not yet even begun to offer the CCS1 adapter for sale in North America. When will all this take place? We don't know. Could be tomorrow or in many months.
Sorry I do not have more definitive information.