Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On another note, when I searched "Tesla CCS adapter" today to see if any new info had popped up in the last few months, I found a link to a CCS adapter on the Tesla Canada website! Sadly, it is for the Type 2 adapter for Europe :(

Tesla CCS Combo 2 Adapter

This encouraged me to go poking around to see if I could find mention of the Type 2 CCS adapter on Tesla's store Web site, but I couldn't find it. I tried switching to both the UK and German versions, but I found only the CHAdeMO adapter. Does anybody know when it will become available or how much it will cost? Obviously neither piece of information is directly relevant to me in the US, but I am curious, especially since, if the more optimistic assumptions prove to be correct, the cost of a Type 1 CCS adapter would likely to be similar.

This encouraged me to go poking around to see if I could find mention of the Type 2 CCS adapter on Tesla's store Web site, but I couldn't find it. I tried switching to both the UK and German versions, but I found only the CHAdeMO adapter. Does anybody know when it will become available or how much it will cost? Obviously neither piece of information is directly relevant to me in the US, but I am curious, especially since, if the more optimistic assumptions prove to be correct, the cost of a Type 1 CCS adapter would likely to be similar.

It had been for sale starting back in June if I recall correctly. But you're right. I can't find it on the site anymore. So maybe they've stopped selling the type 2 CCS adapter.

A number of people have even reported getting it and getting the retrofit done on their car.

Tesla does have a lock on releasing the charging connector. Sometimes it can get stuck. When that happens you have to open the rear of the car and start disassembling it to reach the mechanical bits that you can manipulate to force the connector to be released.

Actually you only have to disassemble enough to get to the manual release. Yes it is in the trunk space. I know because in the 1st month of my M3 the J1772 adapter got locked in and console unlock would not for anything unlock it. And I could not drive until I could get the adapter out.... So I learned there's a manual release in the trunk for it....

How about this kludge:
  1. CCS-1 to CCS-2 for $880
  2. CCS-2 to Tesla Mennekes for $190
  3. Tesla Mennekes to NA Tesla for $1050
Seems like the electrical pins would pass through this route. Not sure of there is special EP software to allow the CCS-2 adapter to work with the Tesla Mennekes connector there.

How about you buy all of that, test it, and then come back and report on the results rather than spamming the forum with the same information repeatedly?

• Funny
Reactions: Reeler
How about this kludge:
  1. CCS-1 to CCS-2 for $880
  2. CCS-2 to Tesla Mennekes for $190
  3. Tesla Mennekes to NA Tesla for $1050
Seems like the electrical pins would pass through this route. Not sure of there is special EP software to allow the CCS-2 adapter to work with the Tesla Mennekes connector there.

On paper that will work, if all the adapters work as promised - and if the chargeport has the hardware and software to speak CCS that was added to the EU cars starting in May. No clue if that’s the case for any US car.

Reactions: vdiv and MP3Mike
On paper that will work, if all the adapters work as promised - and if the chargeport has the hardware and software to speak CCS that was added to the EU cars starting in May. No clue if that’s the case for any US car.

Not worth $2K to me, but I have asked the vendor if they have tried that combination. They seem to make pretty good adapters so maybe that will prompt them to offer one if the NA Tesla software stack supports it.

Not worth $2K to me, but I have asked the vendor if they have tried that combination. They seem to make pretty good adapters so maybe that will prompt them to offer one if the NA Tesla software stack supports it.

Would that adapter be worth $400 more than the CHAdeMO adapter to you? (I can't recall for sure but I'm pretty sure that the S&X cars can't get the full 200kW through the CCS adapter that they can get directly from a Supercharger even if the CCS charger supports it and can deliver it to a Model 3. I seem to recall it was limited to something like 100kW, which is still twice that of the CHAdeMO adapter.)

Would that adapter be worth $400 more than the CHAdeMO adapter to you? (I can't recall for sure but I'm pretty sure that the S&X cars can't get the full 200kW through the CCS adapter that they can get directly from a Supercharger even if the CCS charger supports it and can deliver it to a Model 3. I seem to recall it was limited to something like 100kW, which is still twice that of the CHAdeMO adapter.)
I would pay ~$800 for a supported adapter, yes. Most would not.

Yes.
Shut up and take my money.jpg

I have the Chademo franken-adapter. I could only get 26 KWh out of a station that is capable of 50 KWh on my last couple attempts. I would not feel comfortable that there is not a line for a location with one Chademo port, but those with 4-5 CCS ports leave me without that worry.

I have the Chademo franken-adapter. I could only get 26 KWh out of a station that is capable of 50 KWh on my last couple attempts. I would not feel comfortable that there is not a line for a location with one Chademo port, but those with 4-5 CCS ports leave me without that worry.

You probably used a CHAdeMO station that was only capable of 100 amps or less. If you use one that is rated 125 amps (max the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter supports) or higher, you can see rates above 40 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and vdiv
I have seen 49kW, but never faster, still, that is pretty good. Tried it on a 70kW Chademo but only got 24kW out of it... Probably dropped back to compatibility mode of some sort.

Apparently it is common for CHAdeMO and CCS chargers to be rated at their max current and voltage. Max voltage is quoted 500 volts. Yet depending on state of charge, actual battery voltage may typically be between, say, 350 and 400 volts. So if the charger has a 100 amp max, it might be 'rated' at 50 kW. But in practice it would only deliver 35 to 40 kW. A 125 amp charger would deliver 43.75 to 50 kW.

As you know, things like pack temperature and high state of charge can also cause tapering of charge rate.

I pray this adapter comes out soon. A ton of free level 3 charging popping up in my town. The CHAD adapter is way too expensive and also too slow. Considering on a good day it's slower than the worst supercharger stall, I'll pass. CCS however has many attractive options and also a new network across Canada (also currently free)!

Reactions: KootsChewt