Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd personally rather they developed a CCS adapter

Literally the title of this thread.

Have you looked at an actual CCS1 plug?

Not only have I, but I have a copy of the spec from CharIn. Which you should also go get a copy of.

Having the plug disconnected by a user in the middle of a 400V charge session would be dangerous because even the energy in the wires can hurt someone at that point.

That's the job of the pilot pin, which is what controls voltage flowing. Again, this is spelled out in the standard, which I strongly encourage you to read.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Literally the title of this thread.
Yes... and exactly why I am here. Not sure what is so confusing about that for you. Now if I think it's realistic to expect one anytime soon (nevermind a whole switchover to CCS ports like in the EU) is an entirely different story. In my opinion, Tesla as a company has very little reason to support CCS, I'd be very happy and feel lucky if we just got an adapter and support for CCS.

Tesla as a company has very little reason to support CCS,

Except to add support for the North American standard connector, and to allow us owner to charge when there aren't Tesla chargers around. Which I've said a dozen times now. Because there are huge swaths of North America that don't have Tesla chargers, but do have a CCS charger at, say, a grocery store.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Except to add support for the North American standard connector, and to allow us owner to charge when there aren't Tesla chargers around. Which I've said a dozen times now. Because there are huge swaths of North America that don't have Tesla chargers, but do have a CCS charger at, say, a grocery store.
I meant financially. Clearly SC's are becoming a profit center and the real way to win a price competition is to not enter it at all. I think Tesla has proven lately they don't care that much about their customers. Call me pessimistic if you want but I'm not holding out hope for a CCS adapter anytime soon, as much as I want one.

• Disagree
Reactions: IdaX
I meant financially. Clearly SC's are becoming a profit center and the real way to win a price competition is to not enter it at all. I think Tesla has proven lately they don't care that much about their customers. Call me pessimistic if you want but I'm not holding out hope for a CCS adapter anytime soon, as much as I want one.

I'm also not holding out hope, because Elon said they would so I presume it will come too late.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX and AdamMacDon
Tesla is dominant in the US today, but as with Ford 100 years ago, this will not last. (despite what the fan-bois think) Changing to CCS would allow Tesla owners greater access to charging and also allow Tesla to sell charging to other vendors. European SuperChargers will charge other EVs, perhaps accidentally, but it works. If Tesla is looking at the long game, making the SuperCharger network available to VW for example could lead to another long term business that is less vulnerable that their current market position.

But back to the tread topic, I could really use a CCS adaptor, hopefully one comes along soon, I don't want to spend the money on a Chademo adaptor limited to 45kW and far fewer available charging sites.

Tesla is dominant in the US today, but as with Ford 100 years ago, this will not last. (despite what the fan-bois think) Changing to CCS would allow Tesla owners greater access to charging and also allow Tesla to sell charging to other vendors. European SuperChargers will charge other EVs, perhaps accidentally, but it works. If Tesla is looking at the long game, making the SuperCharger network available to VW for example could lead to another long term business that is less vulnerable that their current market position.

But back to the tread topic, I could really use a CCS adaptor, hopefully one comes along soon, I don't want to spend the money on a Chademo adaptor limited to 45kW and far fewer available charging sites.

I tend to agree with you, although here the CCS locations would only slightly augment the existing SC network. And a lot of the CCS stalls are only 50kw anyway.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency just put out a RFP for a network of charging stations for travel around the state - mainly off of the interstates and mainly off the Tesla SC network. Grant $s available. Requires CCS and J1772 (as backup); silent on CHAdeMO. Minimum of 50kw. I would suggest this is, or will be, common.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency just put out a RFP for a network of charging stations for travel around the state - mainly off of the interstates and mainly off the Tesla SC network. Grant $s available. Requires CCS and J1772 (as backup); silent on CHAdeMO. Minimum of 50kw. I would suggest this is, or will be, common.

It would miss about 75 percent of the target market in BC as the vast majority of electric vehicles here are not CCS compatible.

Yet, but that markets achanging

I don’t know. The vast majority of EV’s on the road here are Tesla’s followed by Leafs. Both of which are Chademo compatible. I can see leaf changing soon but Tesla hasn’t suggested they are yet. Tesla’s are the biggest customers of public charging here and Chademo/CCS locations outnumber Tesla Superchargers 10 to 1...at least...and Chademo/CCS locations are growing faster than Superchargers. If Tesla ever goes away from Chademo I can see the beginning of the end for Chademo here. But Tesla seems to be hanging on to Chademo for the time being.

FWIW I would love a 100 kw CCS adapter.

California is rolling out something like 40,000 charging stations in southern California alone, and plans on rolling out 250,000 by 2025. Regardless of the brand of EV you buy, if you live in communities where these chargers will be installed, you'll want adapters.

California is rolling out something like 40,000 charging stations in southern California alone, and plans on rolling out 250,000 by 2025. Regardless of the brand of EV you buy, if you live in communities where these chargers will be installed, you'll want adapters.
Don't confuse DC Fast Chargers with AC charging points. Certainly the vast majority of the "stations" quoted will be simple J1772 EVSE.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike

But those appear to all be AC/J1772 locations, for which every Tesla already comes with an adapter. So not really related to this thread.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I just got started in Tesla about 2 years ago..... EU requires all EVs to use the Type 2 CCS charger so Tesla was compelled by law to create the CCS adapter. What was the reason for the Chademo adapter? Was it developed because the supercharger network didn't yet exist?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I just got started in Tesla about 2 years ago..... EU requires all EVs to use the Type 2 CCS charger so Tesla was compelled by law to create the CCS adapter. What was the reason for the Chademo adapter? Was it developed because the supercharger network didn't yet exist?

No, it was released long after the Superchargers were building out - shortly before Tesla started selling cars in Japan, where CHAdeMO stations are far more common than anywhere else.

No, it was released long after the Superchargers were building out - shortly before Tesla started selling cars in Japan, where CHAdeMO stations are far more common than anywhere else.
Japan is the reason that the North American version of the CHAdeMO adapter was made. Japan uses the same Tesla proprietary charging inlet as North America. There is a separate CHAdeMO adapter that has the Type-2 like plug used on the Model S and Model X in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. Since the CHAdeMO protocol was already implemented, making the other inlet style was easy. I think the prevalence of CHAdeMO chargers in Norway during the Supercharger buildout was probably enough justification for making the European version.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike