Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is about something totally different. The adapter you bought is the same one that comes with every Tesla and lets you plug a Level 2 EVSE with a J1772 plug into the Tesla and charge. It's for AC charging and the max power is about 14 kW. This thread is about an adapter that lets you plug in at DC Fast Chargers that use the CCS 1 Combo plug. It's for DC charging and the max power allowed via this adapter is ~80 kW.
NO. The adapter allows a TESLA charger to become a J1772 plug so a non-Tesla car can use my HPWC.

I also bought the CCS1->Tesla converter (yes it is a larger active device) so I can charge my Tesla from a CCS charger.

(At least that's what I intended to buy! Haven't tried either one yet but when I unpacked and inspected the adapters that's exactly what they appear to be and the Tesla->J1772 attaches to my HPWC cord and presents as a J1772 plug)

Last edited:
NO. The adapter allows a TESLA charger to become a J1772 plug so a non-Tesla car can use my HPWC.

I also bought the CCS1->Tesla converter (yes it is a larger active device) so I can charge my Tesla from a CCS charger.

(At least that's what I intended to buy! Haven't tried either one yet but when I unpacked and inspected the adapters that's exactly what they appear to be and the Tesla->J1772 attaches to my HPWC cord and presents as a J1772 plug)
Please go to the page for your purchase and copy out the portion from the Product Details in the description box which says that you bought a CCS Combo to Tesla converter, then paste it in your next reply to this thread.

ok, I'll guinea pig.... I emailed the company for details. They were able to show information that the adapter had already been test marketed in Korea. Normally I’d be scriptural, but this company also had built a few products for Jack Rickard’s EVTV. One thing about Jack, I doubt he would’ve been doing business with a second rate company. So, I’m taking a chance and ordered one. Even if ‘only’ charged at 72kw, that’s a whole lot faster than the CHAdeMO 50kw.

While supercharger network is ok for 95% of my needs, my weekly commute places me in a an 90 mile stretch with no SC. (180 mile commute). While the car can do it non stop, my concern is if I ever get into a detour situation after the last SC, I’m screwed. Fortunately the PA turnpike now has several Level 3 stations along the way. So, either a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter is my life vest.

I’ll keep the thread informed if a) it actually shows up and b) if it actually works.

Fantastic. Thank you for sticking your wallet out on this.

I'm curious if this implies that should I decide to take my car to Europe, the CCS2 adapter that Tesla sells there for older S and X will work for my Model 3?

(Many years ago, my dad took his Jaguar to Europe on sabbatical. I suppose if you plan to do an extended holiday roll-on-roll-off would be far cheaper than renting cars for a month or two)

Which then brings up the question about how compatible the mobile chargers are too. What's standard household amperage on a European 220V circuit?

I'm curious if this implies that should I decide to take my car to Europe, the CCS2 adapter that Tesla sells there for older S and X will work for my Model 3?

(Many years ago, my dad took his Jaguar to Europe on sabbatical. I suppose if you plan to do an extended holiday roll-on-roll-off would be far cheaper than renting cars for a month or two)

Which then brings up the question about how compatible the mobile chargers are too. What's standard household amperage on a European 220V circuit?
No, the CCS2 adapter for Europe allows a vehicle with the European Tesla Type-2 inlet to use CCS2 charging stations, including European SC V3. The only DC adapter for cars with a North American Tesla proprietary inlet is for Tesla Type-2 Superchargers or the CHAdeMO adapter.

NEW! Tesla Supercharger Adapter – European to US – EVSE Adapters
CHAdeMO Adapter

Would make sense that when Tesla updated the Model X / S charge circuitry, that they would have done the same worldwide to support CCS1 and CCS2 input. If someone has a new Model 3 / Y that they imported, they should try that adapter. These same folks sell a CCS1 to CCS2 adapter.

CCS1 to CCS2 Adapter| EV Charger Factory | SETEC POWER

Would make sense that when Tesla updated the Model X / S charge circuitry, that they would have done the same worldwide to support CCS1 and CCS2 input. If someone has a new Model 3 / Y that they imported, they should try that adapter. These same folks sell a CCS1 to CCS2 adapter.

CCS1 to CCS2 Adapter| EV Charger Factory | SETEC POWER

I wonder how many of these things you can stack - CCS1-to-CCs2, then CCS2-to-TeslaSC ? And then charge from CCS1

No, it won't work as the charge port on a European Tesla is different. (Type 2 instead of custom Tesla.)

I have a North American Model 3 with a standard Tesla port, like (I assume) older European S and X. The adapter that Tesla sells in Europe was plugs into older S and X Tesla-standard ports and the CCS2 (European) plugs into that. Presuming that the modifications to older S and X are also a feature of worldwide Model 3's? Does my North American 3 speak CCS?

I guess we'll find out when the adapter arrives for Boeingpilot.

Reactions: Reeler
I have a North American Model 3 with a standard Tesla port, like (I assume) older European S and X. The adapter that Tesla sells in Europe was plugs into older S and X Tesla-standard ports and the CCS2 (European) plugs into that. Presuming that the modifications to older S and X are also a feature of worldwide Model 3's? Does my North American 3 speak CCS?

I guess we'll find out when the adapter arrives for Boeingpilot.

EU spec S/X have never had the same charge port as US spec cars - they have a Mennekes Type 2 port instead, to take advantage of the common availability of three phase power in the EU.

CCS2 in Europe reflects that, with a Type2 top half.

This is the European Model S charge port.
2015-05-26-19.22.35.jpg

This is the European Model 3 charge port.
Tesla-Model-3-CCS1-e1542191696558.jpg

This is the North American Model S charge port.
29e889_3adde8f32e5748259d95dd4cc50a4779~mv2.jpg

This is the North American Model 3 charge port
tesla-model-3-charging-port-image-700x405.jpg

The adapters needed for North American cars are completely different than European cars. Both because the Tesla proprietary port is different in North America and because CCS Combo-1 is different than CCS Combo-2.

The European CCS adapter for S & X requires two parts - the physical adapter and the ECU to speak CCS protocol. Newer cars have the ECU factory installed, but the ECU can be retrofitted to all older European S & X cars as well. There is some debate about whether the North American Model 3 has the ECU ability to speak CCS, but it looks unlikely because of the differences in the boards between NorAm Model 3 cars and Euro Model 3 cars.

I did not realize that Teslas in Europe have never had the standard Tesla charging port. Unfortunate for them.
I think people in that market would not share your opinion. I think they're glad that they have a charge port that is the same as other manufacturers. They had the benefit of the EV market being more mature by the time that Tesla started selling in Europe, so it was more practical for Tesla to follow those standards. The Model S inlet is kind of a bastardization of the Mennekes port though.

I did not realize that Teslas in Europe have never had the standard Tesla charging port. Unfortunate for them.
:p Far from it. The European situation was way better and more convenient. The port they used already matched all of the regular public charging stations, so they didn't need to snap on that adapter like we have to for converting J1772 to the Tesla (TM) port. And then Tesla was able to put that same kind of plug onto their Supercharger stations too, so for many years, they never needed adapters for anything. CCS has made things a little more complicated, though.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311