Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Reeler You really wanted a CCS adapter didn't you? Well it looks like someone is finally releasing one: CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

Though it looks like it will be limited to ~72kW charging.

Better than nothing. Slightly better than the Chademo. On the one page at the bottom it says this.

"USB for software update will follow Tesla’s update"

Not sure what to make of that.

Better than nothing. Slightly better than the Chademo.

Really the part that is better is that it is CCS. So at an EA site you have the choice of 4-8 stalls to charge at instead of just 1 per site. So you have way better odds of finding a non-occupied and working stall.

On the one page at the bottom it says this.

"USB for software update will follow Tesla’s update"

Not sure what to make of that.

That makes me think that Tesla doesn't support talking CCS, no surprise there, so they are having to translate from CCS to the Tesla Supercharger protocol. And Tesla likes to make changes to things all the time. So if Tesla makes a change to the Supercharger protocol they would have to provide a software update for the adapter to deal with it. (Just like all of the third-party HUDs where a Tesla software update often breaks them because Tesla changes the CAN messages.)

Of course, Tesla could make changes that would turn the CCS adapter into a brick, so it is a risky investment.

ok, I'll guinea pig.... I emailed the company for details. They were able to show information that the adapter had already been test marketed in Korea. Normally I’d be scriptural, but this company also had built a few products for Jack Rickard’s EVTV. One thing about Jack, I doubt he would’ve been doing business with a second rate company. So, I’m taking a chance and ordered one. Even if ‘only’ charged at 72kw, that’s a whole lot faster than the CHAdeMO 50kw.

While supercharger network is ok for 95% of my needs, my weekly commute places me in a an 90 mile stretch with no SC. (180 mile commute). While the car can do it non stop, my concern is if I ever get into a detour situation after the last SC, I’m screwed. Fortunately the PA turnpike now has several Level 3 stations along the way. So, either a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter is my life vest.

I’ll keep the thread informed if a) it actually shows up and b) if it actually works.

ok, I'll guinea pig.... I emailed the company for details. They were able to show information that the adapter had already been test marketed in Korea. Normally I’d be scriptural, but this company also had built a few products for Jack Rickard’s EVTV. One thing about Jack, I doubt he would’ve been doing business with a second rate company. So, I’m taking a chance and ordered one. Even if ‘only’ charged at 72kw, that’s a whole lot faster than the CHAdeMO 50kw.

While supercharger network is ok for 95% of my needs, my weekly commute places me in a an 90 mile stretch with no SC. (180 mile commute). While the car can do it non stop, my concern is if I ever get into a detour situation after the last SC, I’m screwed. Fortunately the PA turnpike now has several Level 3 stations along the way. So, either a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter is my life vest.

I’ll keep the thread informed if a) it actually shows up and b) if it actually works.

Many of us will be interested to hear experiences! And it looks like it's rated at 200 amps, so it may be 60% faster than the 125 amp CHAdeMO adapter (i.e. the CCS adapter could be listed at 80 kW if they followed Telsa's optimism on their "50 kW" adapter)

ok, I'll guinea pig.... I emailed the company for details.

@Boeingpilot , you should see if the seller will give you a discount if you offer to edit the English language product descriptions on their website. :p

They may very well be a legit and technically competent company, but having a website with such mangled English is sure to scare away potential customers.

(From the product page...)
There is one CCS combo 1 charger, when the Tesla with US standard vehicle inlet come , then can not charge the Tesla . In this case , will need to our CCS adapter.

Both two side with plug , one side connect with CCS combo 1 plug , the other side will connect with electric car vehicle inlet.”

Reactions: Rocky_H and CO_MY
@Boeingpilot , you should see if the seller will give you a discount if you offer to edit the English language product descriptions on their website. :p

They may very well be a legit and technically competent company, but having a website with such mangled English is sure to scare away potential customers.

(From the product page...)
I would, but I get the feeling this is going to have to be a 'below the radar' device. Definitely wouldn't advertise to the Service Center I've been using one if I brought the car in for service.

In reality, it really isn't that a complex device once someone has reverse engineered Tesla's Supercharging protocol. Once that's done, I suspect something as simple as an Arduino board could handle communications between CCS and Tesla standards.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a CHAdeMO adapter anyway. I imagine it will get very occasional use. In reality (just like a lot of CHAdeMO users) it's to cover you just in case. I'll give a possible for example. Driving to work right after I got the car I was thinking, he I can stop at the East Brunswick SC. I get there, and it's closed, as they were renovating it. But, wait, there's a CHAdeMO/CCS charger right there. If I'd been desperate, hey, problem solved.

I'll post my results if / when the thing ever shows up

I think many will buy it too @Boeingpilot if it works for you. I doubt Tesla would sell another CHAdeMO adapter if it does. That may force Tesla to finally do their own.

The Tesla adapter in Europe is much more compact than this one. But, just white labelling it would be great.

The difference is that in Europe, the charge port is modified to talk CCS. (If we're talking a MS; M3's I think there can talk CCS natively) I doubt Tesla would have much motivation to develop a mod for MS or MX. So, the European adapter is really just that, a physical adapter. This thing probably has a processor to do translations between standards

What exactly did you buy?

SITE_EMAIL_SHIPPING_3x.png

Your order will ship to:
United States
SITE_EMAIL_CAL_3x.png

Estimated delivery:
Mon, Nov 30

J1772 Tesla Charging Adapter Bundle - 60A 250V Model S/3/X/Y Electric Ve...
Total: $264.83
Order number:
Item ID: 254760721825
Seller: wassersteinhome(3,482)

Note: I bought two items: I also wanted to let EV friends charge their J1772 cars when they visit so I also bought the Tesla->J1772 inexpensive adapter. The seller also delivered almost four days earlier than they estimated!

Last edited:
Order number:

Note: I bought two items: I also wanted to let EV friends charge their J1772 cars when they visit so I also bought the Tesla->J1772 inexpensive adapter. The seller also delivered almost four days earlier than they estimated!
This thread is about something totally different. The adapter you bought is the same one that comes with every Tesla and lets you plug a Level 2 EVSE with a J1772 plug into the Tesla and charge. It's for AC charging and the max power is about 14 kW. This thread is about an adapter that lets you plug in at DC Fast Chargers that use the CCS 1 Combo plug. It's for DC charging and the max power allowed via this adapter is ~80 kW.

I picked up a ccs adapter as well.

Hopefully it works for us, but if our cars catch fire and burn down, we need to come up with a story to tell Tesla service... and don’t schedule your service appointment the same time as me, I’ll go first and you schedule 5 days after... or is that more suspicious? We’ll need a plain for sure...

SITE_EMAIL_SHIPPING_3x.png

Your order will ship to:
United States
SITE_EMAIL_CAL_3x.png

Estimated delivery:
Mon, Nov 30

Order number:

that looks like a 2.5’ extension set for a Tesla adapter. /s

(Tesla to j1772 to Tesla)