Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just visited all but 6 of the WCEH chargers and there is NO construction on any of them, so it may be a while before they are replaced, but I also read on their site (West Coast Electric Highway| EV Charging Stations | EVCS) that some CCS will be 150kW, and they won't be removing the CHAdeMOs. I will be curious how they compete with the EA network, they are going for a flat rate unlimited charging structure, but are years away from being finished.

I wish I had gotten some free power from Electrify America over the holiday, did they just do that in California or was it the whole country? Truly with WCEH chargers every hour that were free I didn't have time to track down EA chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I just visited all but 6 of the WCEH chargers and there is NO construction on any of them, so it may be a while before they are replaced, but I also read on their site (West Coast Electric Highway| EV Charging Stations | EVCS) that some CCS will be 150kW, and they won't be removing the CHAdeMOs. I will be curious how they compete with the EA network, they are going for a flat rate unlimited charging structure, but are years away from being finished.

I wish I had gotten some free power from Electrify America over the holiday, did they just do that in California or was it the whole country? Truly with WCEH chargers every hour that were free I didn't have time to track down EA chargers.
It was nationwide, I think. I was using them in PA, CT, and NY.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy

It did say that the upgrade project is two years long and was set to begin in October 2021.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Pretty sure it was the whole country.

I posted about it at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set... and Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set.... Had seen confirmations on Bolt groups from all around the country.

I also gave a heads up over at CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3. I can try to remember to @ you next time, if/when EA gives free juice again.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that press release didn't say what power output the new chargers will deliver.

Probably 50KW
I had not done this before, but I took a look at the ChargeHub site to get a sense of what power levels non-Tesla Level 3 chargers tend to offer in my own local area (eastern Ontario). I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see just how much of it was limited to 50 KW. That said, 50 KW charging is still reasonably fast. And the reality is that due to the drop of fast charging rates as charging progresses, the difference between total time charging at 50 KW vs (say) 150 KW for a complete electric 'fill-up' is not is not as significant as the KW rating initially would appear to indicate.

And the reality is that due to the drop of fast charging rates as charging progresses, the difference between total time charging at 50 KW vs (say) 150 KW for a complete electric 'fill-up' is not is not as significant as the KW rating initially would appear to indicate.
Yeah, it's a different ballgame with Model 3 and V3 Superchargers, but with my older 2014 Model S on V2 Superchargers, most of my sessions are in the 70-90 kW area anyway, so I generally said that CHAdeMO is about half as fast as Supercharging.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
And the reality is that due to the drop of fast charging rates as charging progresses, the difference between total time charging at 50 KW vs (say) 150 KW for a complete electric 'fill-up' is not is not as significant as the KW rating initially would appear to indicate.

Which is one of the reasons why 'charging to full' using fast charging is a bad EV strategy unless you don't have a choice or are going to be at that location regardless. Experienced EV owners charge just enough + a little buffer to get to their next stop.

Last edited:
After Tesla made it available eventually, I do wonder if the CCS adapter is going to be out-of-stock 99% of the time like the CHAdeMO adapter was.
Apparently any pass-through adapter may work, which would seem to imply a clone version could be done much more easily, more like the J1772 adapter clones? Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter The challenge will be controller board upgrades for those without the newer hardware.

After Tesla made it available eventually, I do wonder if the CCS adapter is going to be out-of-stock 99% of the time like the CHAdeMO adapter was.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 6.39.26 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Mark57