Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla superchargers are that well placed. I think they were put where they could get the space free or cheap, Most commonly at the far back of parking lots for outlet malls around here. The restaurants around them are mostly chain fast food, which I don't want to eat, I think there is a law to have a Subway. Fortunately there will be one decent place but sometimes not. Would be nice if they had picnic tables so I could pick up take-out before getting to the charger. Long sit-down restaurants actually take longer than a charging session, which makes it an issue if the restaurant is more than a couple minute's walk from the charger and you have to interrupt your meal to move your car.

Of course, like many of you, I only supercharge on road trips. There are also people who don't have home charging who supercharge in the town they live in. For them, eating is still a good thing to do but people only go to restaurants at lunch and dinner, so that's a problem. So you want places you go to for 15-30 minutes. Groceries and the like are a good choice. Banking, not so much. You want something you need to visit a couple times a week that you spend 15-30 minutes at but not that you spend an hour at (like a movie etc.)

Reactions: 21EV
That is around 425 Amps, quite a bit more than the adapter spec allows.

Careful, amigo
That EVHUB adapter is sold with a rating of 400A continuous — like the 400A rating on the liquid-cooled cables on the EA 350 kW chargers that actually output up to 500A peak (approved as part of the charger certification) for at least several minutes. The ordering page says “Rated for 400A(allowed up to 600A peaks at 5-40%SoC) 400V making it 160kW”.

I suspect the CCS plug has a temperature sensor that would stop the charge or downgrade the amperage if things begin to heat up too much. The car may also have a temperature sensor in the socket but I don’t remember for sure.

In practice, the 400+ amps likely won’t continue long enough for things to overheat.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbeault
I plan to ride US-50 from CA to UT through NV with my new Model X. I was looking for a CCS adapter (to charge at some 50kW stations along the way) and found this and other threads. However, I still can't find what's the best way to get my hands on a CCS adapter. Should I just wait for Tesla's official adapter? Should I try to get my hands on a used CCS adapter from Korea or Ukraine?

Reactions: jsight
I plan to ride US-50 from CA to UT through NV with my new Model X. I was looking for a CCS adapter (to charge at some 50kW stations along the way) and found this and other threads. However, I still can't find what's the best way to get my hands on a CCS adapter. Should I just wait for Tesla's official adapter? Should I try to get my hands on a used CCS adapter from Korea or Ukraine?

The evhub one is the easiest one to get right now: Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A)

Personally, I'd wait on the official one, though. It should be much less expensive.

That EVHUB adapter is sold with a rating of 400A continuous — like the 400A rating on the liquid-cooled cables on the EA 350 kW chargers that actually output up to 500A peak (approved as part of the charger certification) for at least several minutes. The ordering page says “Rated for 400A(allowed up to 600A peaks at 5-40%SoC) 400V making it 160kW”.

I suspect the CCS plug has a temperature sensor that would stop the charge or downgrade the amperage if things begin to heat up too much. The car may also have a temperature sensor in the socket but I don’t remember for sure.

In practice, the 400+ amps likely won’t continue long enough for things to overheat.

I'm not a fan of 'likely'

I just had a look at Bjorn Nyland's charging video at

At 1:26 into the video the Model 3 (far right) is charging at 170 kW, 385V, 441 Amps. Some of the newer Teslas can charge at 400 Amps+ up through 30% SoC, meaning for over 6 minutes. And during those 6 minutes the amperage is between 440 - 600 Amps

Both have sensors (plug and car). Absolutely essential for Tesla, which seems to love pushing their connector capabilities to the absolute limit. That's why CCS cables are so ridiculously thick (companies not willing to push limits like Tesla does - even though Tesla seems fairly successful at it). CCS cables barely even get "above cold" at 500A, while Tesla is OK to get "warm" at 700-ish amps (whatever 250kW does).

Either way, temperature monitoring of the plug by both sides is absolutely part of both Supercharging and CCS specs. :)

I don't think Tesla superchargers are that well placed. I think they were put where they could get the space free or cheap, Most commonly at the far back of parking lots for outlet malls around here. The restaurants around them are mostly chain fast food, which I don't want to eat, I think there is a law to have a Subway. Fortunately there will be one decent place but sometimes not. Would be nice if they had picnic tables so I could pick up take-out before getting to the charger. Long sit-down restaurants actually take longer than a charging session, which makes it an issue if the restaurant is more than a couple minute's walk from the charger and you have to interrupt your meal to move your car.

Of course, like many of you, I only supercharge on road trips. There are also people who don't have home charging who supercharge in the town they live in. For them, eating is still a good thing to do but people only go to restaurants at lunch and dinner, so that's a problem. So you want places you go to for 15-30 minutes. Groceries and the like are a good choice. Banking, not so much. You want something you need to visit a couple times a week that you spend 15-30 minutes at but not that you spend an hour at (like a movie etc.)
Many of the early public chargers were put right in front of the building because that is where the electricity was and it required shorter cables. This, however, led to ICING by folks who wanted the nice parking spaces. Moving away from the primo parking spots was identified as being good my most of us early EV drivers since a convenient but ICED charger is useless while a less convenient, available one is actually useful.
EA and Tesla both took this advice into account although there is also some emphasis toward putting them where it is cheaper as well. With fast charging, it is often cheaper to put the stations near the transformer vault, not the building's wiring.

download.png

Just came across this map posted by a user in the i4 Forums on EA's expansion. It's more detailed than other maps I've seen. If you zoom in on the green points you can see pretty significant expansion (including a pair of new sites for my fellow Oklahomies).

Reactions: theothertom
I want to point it out because it is a legit concern now. Evhub is shipping out of the Ukraine. Anyone ordering from there should consider the risks of doing so at the moment.

Obviously, I hope Ukraine doesn't get invaded. I also would also say the Evhub adapter is pretty damn awesome IMO. But I would be pretty upset if I ordered, and the invasion resulted in the product being lost. Obviously, insignifant to the loss of life that might occur. Just something to keep in mind.

Sounds like package-forwarding service is the way to go?
Until Tesla ban them, we had all forwarders banned from USA to Ukraine :) in first few month. I think they will deliver 5-10 orders and "kill" address, not something new.

So we could not buy chademo and charge US spec cars, and that's how first experiments started with wires and DC :)

And here is Tesla trying seems to keep them in Korea as much as they can, so I would not expect easy order

Last edited:
Reactions: surma
Until Tesla ban them...

Ha, ha. Yes. Tesla will probably "catch on" and may stop orders from North American Tesla owners, possibly. Get your CCS1 adapters while you can! (Just kidding. I am not encouraging anyone to take the risk.)

However, I would probably order one for myself, because I like "breaking the rules," but I am pretty sure (from looking at photos) that the South Korea CCS1 adapter is PHYSICALLY INCOMPATIBLE with the Models S & X charge port. I would love to hear confirmation from anyone in North America (or from South Korea, for that matter) as to whether this is actually true. But it looks to me like the open charge-port cover-door would interfere with the adapter and that the adapter's locking pin might rub the car's paint near the port. I suspect that a different adapter design is going to be necessary for the Models S & X, unfortunately.

Take a look at the photos. The Models 3 and Y port area has a relatively large expanse of black plastic around the port itself. Not so on the Models S and X. The Models 3 and Y cover-door opens up out of the way. But the open door is right next to and in the way on the Models S and X.

North American Tesla Model 3 Proprietary Charge Port - 1.jpg North American TPC Port.jpg CCS1 Adapter in Model 3.jpg