Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just glanced at the ea app and that was showing one of four stalls available. That really wouldn't help much.
It'll probably work if you're one of the first Tesla customers in North America to get the CCS adapter...for about 1 or 2 months. And then, it'll be obvious that the only real solution is to build more chargers at that shopping center.

Reactions: kayak1 and wws
It said 3 out of 4 operational.

The other charger might work if someone calls in and ask for a reboot.

And if they call in and get it rebooted they should get a free charging session.
So, pro tip: if you're an EA user and you'd like to charge while you have lunch, look for a charger that's hanging. :D

(On a trip last year, I'd planned to charge our Kona at West Lebanon, NH to 71%, cross over to White River Junction and have lunch at a Turkish restaurant there, then keep heading west and top up at EVGo chargers in Rutland, VT. Issues at West Lebanon, NH Electrify America meant I had to call customer service, they gave us a free session and with the delay we ate near the chargers instead. Returned to the car with 96% so skipped Rutland charging.)

Actually, I want it so I can get out of my car! The short term goal is that if the supercharger is full, my car can wait in a nearby spot, and when it is assigned a spot after somebody leaves, the car will park in the spot and plug in. And when it is full, unplug and park itself. Now we can do this without robotic plug-in and should, because there is always a tesla driver coming in our out who would, if asked (or required) do plugging and unplugging.

But where it gets really interesting is when my car can be sitting where I parked it, and knows I am gone for a while, so it drives off to a charging station, plugs itself in and comes back to me. A lot easier than driving passengers around. Especially if you only need to go short distances on empty roads at night, or just move in motel or employee parking lots.

You could build a robotic snake plug, but the car is already a robot. If you design the plug the right way you don't need any more robotics.

That was indeed my sales pitch to tesla, and a dozen other firms too. Kept thinking I'd sell it, but too early to the game I guess. Oh well, I'll just keep the patent active. Eventually it should pay off! Or, not.

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1
If only they could use the Electrify America charging station nearby, LOL

Louisiana is not dense with charging. There are only a handful of superchargers in the whole state, and only one six-charger station anywhere near Lake Charles. That day, 3 of the chargers were broken and the other 3 were charging slow.

Even though that will be rare, such a line is indeed a bad thing, particularly with all the people who buy EVs but can't charge at home. (I never use superchargers in my own city, only on road trips. If they want to add chargers to solve this, the right place is apartment and work parking lots, not strip malls.) But until that day, they are going to need to have more stations. There is an 4 port EA station and if I lived in this town I would want the adapter. The CdM adapter would not help a lot with only one of the EA units supporting it.

Reactions: FalconFour
I just glanced at the ea app and that was showing one of four stalls available. That really wouldn't help much.
Better than nothing... To Electrify America's credit, if I'm counting right, there are 4 stalls near ake Charles, another 4 west in Beaumont and 6 in Lafayette. And Tesla for sure needs to expand or add to any Interstate routes that only have 8 or fewer V2 stalls - when these sites get full, the charge rate suffers quite a bit. Having the option of CCS charging can save quite a bit of time in a number of cases.

Anyway, plenty of further discussion on this specific issue in the Lake Charles thread:

If they want to add chargers to solve this, the right place is apartment and work parking lots, not strip malls.
Hear, hear! That's the right solution. EVs work best when charged where they're not needed, not while in use - a hold-over from the only way you could charge (refuel) a gas car. Workplace charging is sorely under-appreciated, but it's the only way I've lived since 2014.

Hear, hear! That's the right solution. EVs work best when charged where they're not needed, not while in use - a hold-over from the only way you could charge (refuel) a gas car. Workplace charging is sorely under-appreciated, but it's the only way I've lived since 2014.
I've written several articles on what I call "gasoline thinking." Which is how most of us probably thought before we bought EVs, so we can't blame the public for it too much, but we can educate them. But people setting policy and building charging have no excuse for following gasoline thinking.

Part of this is the call for ultra-fast charging -- 500kw to megawatt. That's useful if you're in a super-hurry or planned poorly but it definitely should not be the norm. It's actually too fast on the stops where you plan to eat or shop, OK if all you will do is pee, I guess. But megawatt charging is going to be very expensive compared to slower charging, as the gear has to be very fancy and robust and extra safe, since there is so much more that can go wrong at a megawatt, and it's also expensive to bring in that much power unless it's one megawatt station vs. 7 150kw stations. It's very unlikely it's not going to be more issues for your battery to charge it this fast, too, though maybe a chemistry will arise that faces no penalty there. It's going to need fancier cooling.

As such, you would expect to megawatt charge maybe just a few times a year in a properly operating world. Your normal life should be charging at home or work every night or every weekday, with fast charging only on road trips, or for those who can't get more than level 1 at their house, fast charging once or twice a month for the rare days when level 1 wasn't enough.

Once we get a world where most motels have level 2 charging, you'll probably just fast charge once a day, around noon, and do it during lunch. Admittedly this is a problem, people will have to spread out their lunches because we can't have everybody charge at the same time (same with megawatt charging) but I think it can be handled. Rare people on hard-slog days over 500 miles of driving (or towing) would fast charge more than once a day.

But as I said above, the big charging infrastructure bills should focus on motels, apartment lots, commuter lots and a little bit of fast charging and some curbs.

FWIW, I bought a Setec/Lectron CCS adapter off eBay. I could not connect it to my laptop through my various micro USB cables (all good data ones) to check or update the firmware. I tried it with my Mac, then with my PC, but no joy. I figured why not just field test it. Plugged into a Green Lots charger, and I was pulling 43-48kW steady. So it works, but I’m not sure what firmware I’m running. As the running joke goes, YMMV.

Attachments

• BDB9C5EC-15E4-406A-81CC-DABCCA944A5E.jpeg
    BDB9C5EC-15E4-406A-81CC-DABCCA944A5E.jpeg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: wlee