Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't actually used a CCS station - are the cables thicker than the V2 supercharger cables (which are not liquid cooled) ? Those are already a bit of a pain to maneuver.

Those CCS cables in that video look considerably longer, which probably does necessitate some extra thickness.

I haven't actually used a CCS station - are the cables thicker than the V2 supercharger cables (which are not liquid cooled) ? Those are already a bit of a pain to maneuver.

Those CCS cables in that video look considerably longer, which probably does necessitate some extra thickness.
Yeah. They're EXTRA thick. Like, grip with two hands and move your whole body to twist the cable into position, so it doesn't rest with twisting force on the plug. You can see the cable briefly here:

It's DUMMY THICCC, and that one is even liquid cooled. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: gglockner
Here is a funny. A pic from the Texas Gaga factory showing a TX Model Y Supercharging with CCS. :oops::oops: Must have been a "lazy" reuse of some European footage.🤣🤣

IMG_0293.jpeg

Here is a funny. A pic from the Texas Gaga factory showing a TX Model Y Supercharging with CCS. :oops::oops: Must have been a "lazy" reuse of some European footage.🤣🤣

It's funny you should mention that.

The Tesla webmaster (or webmasters) in charge of European, Australian, and other country "Shop" pages appear to be equally "lazy" when it comes to portraying the proper CHAdeMO adapter. I.e., the standard photo of a TPC (proprietary plug) CHAdeMO--as used in North America, South Korea, and Japan for Models S, X, 3, & Y--is incorrectly displayed there instead of the proper Type 2-plug CHAdeMO adapter (necessary for most Models S & X in Europe and Oceania).

CHAdeMO Adapter.jpg Type 2 CHAdeMO.jpg
TPC CHAdeMO Type 2 CHAdeMO

Of course this is or may soon be moot, as CHAdeMO use is allegedly on the decline. But still. This carelessness has probably confused customers in the past.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Congratulations, neighbor! Any tips on how you were able to purchase one from the US?

Just need a credit card and a Korean address. I used this service which gives you a unique address to ship to them. Then they ship it to you!

It was ~$250 for the adapter and ~$30 to ship and took ~2 weeks from purchase to my door step state-side.

Just need a credit card and a Korean address. I used this service which gives you a unique address to ship to them. Then they ship it to you!

It was ~$250 for the adapter and ~$30 to ship and took ~2 weeks from purchase to my door step state-side.
What?! That is weird. On page 73 of this thread, there are several people talking about how they were trying to use package forwarding companies in Korea to take delivery of these adapters for them, but Tesla somehow kept detecting it and canceling their orders. So I think that maybe Tesla has just gotten to a point of lightening up on that and stopped canceling those kinds of orders now.

See several posts on this page:

Reactions: gglockner

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Genie
What?! That is weird. On page 73 of this thread, there are several people talking about how they were trying to use package forwarding companies in Korea to take delivery of these adapters for them, but Tesla somehow kept detecting it and canceling their orders. So I think that maybe Tesla has just gotten to a point of lightening up on that and stopped canceling those kinds of orders now.
Yes, this is exactly why I asked.

I am jealous of those of who who have controller boards that can use this adapter. I have to wait for Tesla to support the upgrade.

A different question. Any progress on being able to precondition your battery for a CCS charge? There did not seem to be one for a CdM charge when I had that adapter. I guess you could nav to the nearest supercharger (which is probably very far away) but I don't know how it does the precondition. It says "preconditioning" right away but surely waits until you approach, I would think.

Reactions: Suspect
I am jealous of those of who who have controller boards that can use this adapter. I have to wait for Tesla to support the upgrade.

A different question. Any progress on being able to precondition your battery for a CCS charge? There did not seem to be one for a CdM charge when I had that adapter. I guess you could nav to the nearest supercharger (which is probably very far away) but I don't know how it does the precondition. It says "preconditioning" right away but surely waits until you approach, I would think.
It’s a guess but I think it’s actually in the process of heating the battery when the “Preconditioning for Fast Charging” message pops up.

I think this is the case because it comes and goes with many instances of it going away a few minutes before I reach a supercharger. I think it heats the battery to an ideal temperature and then when it reaches it, stops heating (hence message going away).

On longer stretches I’ve seen the message pop up when I’m around 100 miles away from the charger then disappear and come back as I got much closer to the charger.

That’s very interesting. Before they were VIN locked and you had to provide a VIN when ordering and it was limited to one adapter per-VIN. I had a friend that is Korean try to order a number of times and it always got canceled by Tesla before it even charged his card…

That’s very interesting. Before they were VIN locked and you had to provide a VIN when ordering and it was limited to one adapter per-VIN. I had a friend that is Korean try to order a number of times and it always got canceled by Tesla before it even charged his card…
I just ordered one from the link I provided above (using the Delivered proxy service mentioned by some else here). I had to login to my Tesla account to place the order but it didn't ask for a VIN. Hoping I got the proxy's address right—not understanding any Korean, I had to rely a lot on Google Translate to navigate the checkout process.

Reactions: kayak1
I just ordered one from the link I provided above (using the Delivered proxy service mentioned by some else here). I had to login to my Tesla account to place the order but it didn't ask for a VIN. Hoping I got the proxy's address right—not understanding any Korean, I had to rely a lot on Google Translate to navigate the checkout process.
If you do get one, they have sold on eBay for about $600 (which makes sense because people pay that for aftermarket adapters) so you could make a fat profit -- unless they let you get only one ever, or at least until they are plentiful.

On preconditioning, it seems unwise to heat the battery up 2 hours in advance and keep it hot, but maybe there is some value to that? The question then becomes, how long does a good precondition take, and you can learn to fake requesting it by pretending to nav to a very remote supercharger while on your way to a non-Tesla fast charger. A kludge. Since Tesla sells adapters, they should put the DC Fast stations in the map (hell, put in all on plugshare) and let you navigate to them and precondition for you. And also not give you warnings about how you are out of range of a station while you are navigating to one (it's done this to me.) And even more, it should offer all the data you could want -- how many stations are in/use available, just like superchargers, prices etc.

Yes, for "competitor" stations. My car should serve only me, not Tesla - which says it doesn't try to make money from charging anyway. My car should do everything it can to make my driving and charging experience the best. I can tell ABRP I have the adapter and it will do this for me, but my Tesla should do it.

Reactions: kayak1