Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not an expert, but…

Tesla Part Number 1537264-30-B is apparently for a Chinese-made car.

Is it truly CCS compatible and would it work in a North American car (which is what I assume you have)? I don’t know. But if it was me, I wouldn’t risk it. Look instead for Part Number 1537264-00-B.

Also, I am confused. If you already have a working ECU with “bundle of wires” for your Model 3 and it is CCS-enabled, why do you need another ECU?
We do have another car and I can’t seem to find one more ecu which I paid 165$ and $59 for wire
Called sc they say check back in 2023 they won’t sell they to me

We do have another car and I can’t seem to find one more ecu…

OK. You have two cars. I can imagine that it is hard to find the correct ECU now (many people looking). Options:
  • Wait until Tesla provides ECU updates in 2023.
  • Try to buy the right ECU at more than one Tesla Serve Center. (SCs apparently differ on whether they will provide them.)
  • Continue to look for the correct ECU online. Expect to pay MUCH more that the $140 retail price. Search Craig’s List (nationwide), eBay, and other sources. Make sure to get the correct part number and a working, undamaged ECU.
I, personally, would avoid buying from dodgy sources and purchasing anything but the correct, North American, Gen 4, CCS-enabled ECU. Watch out for scammers.

OK. You have two cars. I can imagine that it is hard to find the correct ECU now (many people looking). Options:
  • Wait until Tesla provides ECU updates in 2023.
  • Try to buy the right ECU at more than one Tesla Serve Center. (SCs apparently differ on whether they will provide them.)
  • Continue to look for the correct ECU online. Expect to pay MUCH more that the $140 retail price. Search Craig’s List (nationwide), eBay, and other sources. Make sure to get the correct part number and a working, undamaged ECU.
I, personally, would avoid buying from dodgy sources and purchasing anything but the correct, North American, Gen 4, CCS-enabled ECU. Watch out for scammers.
Thank you
I appreciate your response
I agree with you .

I’ve haven’t had this happen in about a dozen adapter uses so far. I wonder if this message happens when the car fails to lock the adapter. If so, you would just need to hold the cable in to the inlet for a short time longer until the car locks it into place.
No, that's not it. This is also a new notification, likely from a newer software build, now that Tesla recognizes CCS charging in the USA.

Received my CCS adapter this afternoon, so I went up to the only Electrify America station in Charlotte, NC, after work. I wanted to see if I could pull more than 150kW, and Electrify America is the only non-Tesla provider that has options more than 150kW in Charlotte.

Unfortunately, I arrived with a relatively high, 40% state of charge. (I did remember to pre-condition the battery by entering the nearby Tesla Supercharger in my nav before I left home, and it was conditioned enough that the preconditioning was turning off and on.

I still pulled over 140kW for a couple of minutes, and the ramp-down curve seemed to hold higher rates for longer than a supercharger would at high states of charge. It was still charging at 80kW around 70% SOC. Even when charging stopped at 80%, it was pulling over 60kW.

Best part of all, that EA station was currently free to use.

The adapter is kind of clunky, because the CCS handle is clunky.

If you're interested in my stream-of-conscience commentary, here it is on YouTube.

I never show up at an EA station on low enough of a charge to get more, I always fear it will be out of order, so I have enough range onboard to make it to the next Supercharger. Hopefully I can go that extra 5 kWs some day...
I'm the same way... Even on my 1600 miles roadtrip, where I exclusively used EA, I always chose an EA stop where there was an actual SC either in the same parking lot, or the next exit off the freeway. I was always afraid of a busted EA charger. Worked out well on my last trip, because unlike earlier in the summer, when I had no issues with EA, on the most recent one, I stopped at the Yreka EA, but the chargers all kept throttling after a few minutes, so I drove around the corner to the Yreka SC. The next stop, I was going to stop by at the Anderson EA charger, but they were all out of order, so I went to Cottonwood Supercharger, which was the next exit.

I never show up at an EA station on low enough of a charge to get more, I always fear it will be out of order, so I have enough range onboard to make it to the next Supercharger. Hopefully I can go that extra 5 kWs some day...

The supercharger and EA station are side-by-side in Pecos, TX.

Just sayin'

Bonus: The EA station is part of the Sonic Drive-In, so you can order ice-cream while you charge.

It would be cool if you could actually order from the display on the charger, press the red button for service

You almost can. Here's a view of the EA chargers from the Sonic drive-thru. Two of them are right in front of the last two car-hop stalls on the right!

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 5.16.40 PM.png

wonder how CCS drivers feel when the Tesla SC (8+ stalls) has open spots but the EA charger (with typically only 2 or 4 stalls) is packed and Tesla's charging there "because it's a few cents cheaper" ... just sayin'
No doubt that will happen. Public golf courses are more crowded than private clubs too, maybe not the best example but for now Superchargers are private.

wonder how CCS drivers feel when the Tesla SC (8+ stalls) has open spots but the EA charger (with typically only 2 or 4 stalls) is packed and Tesla's charging there "because it's a few cents cheaper" ... just sayin'
I'd tell them I pay for Pass+, so to STFU... But in all seriousness, the people I've talked to so far have been nice. A few months ago, while roadtripping up the 5 from California, up thru to Canada... I coincidentally was traveling in a pack with a Mach-E and ID.4, as we all happened to be stopping at the same EA stations... On the last EA station we stopped at, I knew the next EA station had 3 broken chargers, and there were three of us, so I told them I would use the SC that was around the block from the next EA station. At the next charging stop, after SC'ing, I drove thru the EA parking lot to see if they were there. I saw the Mach-E charging. He flashed his brights as I crept past them.

Reactions: KJD
Also this would be perfect opportunity to explain to them how Tesla Disables SC for salvage cars n that's why i'll be there.
Lets make more ppl aware of the issue, maybe something will change lol