Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think elsewhere (on TMC?) we have been told that the Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapter is actually produced by a Taiwanese firm (Pegatron, partnering with Tesla) and physically manufactured in China?

So perhaps the same or different Chinese factories are 'rushing' (in reality, I know it takes time to engineer and market a new product) to take advantage of perceived North American consumer desire for CCS1 adapters, and the current vacuum created by Tesla clamping down on the CCS1 adapter marketing pipeline (e.g., from Harumio to North America). And we already know that there are Chinese-made CCS1 adapters coming that are similar to the SETEC (with battery and firmware) and to the (electrical pass-through) Ukrainian models.

I wonder (and worry, a little) what the true potential market for CCS1 adapters really is. Besides the 'enthusiasts' on TMC, how many Tesla drivers really need and want one? How many will really end up buying one, and how much are they willing to pay? Has the previous (probably relatively small?) CHAdeMO-adapter market been a good indicator model for the potential for future CCS1 adapter sales? Anyone have any sales figures or other valid insights?

Reactions: jsight
I thought about getting a CHAdeMO a couple times. While not ideal, it made more sense as a backup than the J1772. But I was always put off by the bulk of the thing as well as the price. But the CCS1, which some might make those same arguments about, I jumped at the chance.

It's pretty hard predicting fickle consumer interest.

Reactions: akidesir
I thought about getting a CHAdeMO a couple times. While not ideal, it made more sense as a backup than the J1772. But I was always put off by the bulk of the thing as well as the price. But the CCS1, which some might make those same arguments about, I jumped at the chance.

It's pretty hard predicting fickle consumer interest.

Right.

I have both a CHAdeMO adapter and a CCS1 adapter. IMO the choice is obvious. CHAdeMO is big and bulky, and it only charges at ~50 kW. So I do not understand why CHAdeMO prices on eBay remain so high. (Maybe there are outlying North American areas where Superchargers and CCS1 stations are still rare?)

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Right.

I have both a CHAdeMO adapter and a CCS1 adapter. IMO the choice is obvious. CHAdeMO is big and bulky, and it only charges at ~50 kW. So I do not understand why CHAdeMO prices on eBay remain so high. (Maybe there are outlying North American areas where Superchargers and CCS1 stations are still rare?)
Because older models cannot charge via CCS as they are not enabled and the Chademo adapter is no longer available therefor eBay used units are about the only choice left as an alternative charge source.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I wonder (and worry, a little) what the true potential market for CCS1 adapters really is. Besides the 'enthusiasts' on TMC, how many Tesla drivers really need and want one? How many will really end up buying one, and how much are they willing to pay?
Totally agree not everyone has a need or will rush to get an adapter. I would not have gotten one since there are a lot of superchargers in close proximity to where I live.

The selling point for me was free CCS charging from Shell/Pasadena (ending this year), but CCS charging will likely continue to be subsidized offering rates undercutting what Tesla currently charges in the LA market.

If other CCS networks begin to undercut what Tesla is charging for supercharging that could possibly be the driver for adapter demand... which i'm sure Elon doesn't want

• Helpful
Totally agree not everyone has a need or will rush to get an adapter. I would not have gotten one since there are a lot of superchargers in close proximity to where I live.

The selling point for me was free CCS charging from Shell/Pasadena (ending this year), but CCS charging will likely continue to be subsidized offering rates undercutting what Tesla currently charges in the LA market.

If other CCS networks begin to undercut what Tesla is charging for supercharging that could possibly be the driver for adapter demand... which i'm sure Elon doesn't want
One reason for me to seek a customer adapter is to open options other than supercharging (if convenient) right now CCS charging is cheaper than supercharging around here so that could be a reason Tesla has not released it in North America yet.

• Helpful
I have them reasonably close as well. Although in opposite directions, the closest CCS is about the same as the closet SC.

But I mostly charge at home so having CCS stations (or SC) near me is a 'don't care'. I've got it for the trips.

It also looks like Harumio redesigned the case to add a spot for the standard Tesla J1772 Level 2 adapter alongside the Tesla CCS adapter. Nice feature, but it looks like it makes the case maybe 3 inches wider than the previous version. Harumio currently sells the case for $45 (worldwide shipping included) or $25 if purchased with the CCS adapter.

Harumio Case

View attachment 807507
What is the Red Ring in the Mesh for? Does it come with the Case?

I think elsewhere (on TMC?) we have been told that the Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapter is actually produced by a Taiwanese firm (Pegatron, partnering with Tesla) and physically manufactured in China?
Although the product markings are from Tesla China in Beijing, the Chinese text says the adapter is made in Taiwan, not in mainland China (just off a listing on eBay):
s-l1600.jpg

So perhaps the same or different Chinese factories are 'rushing' (in reality, I know it takes time to engineer and market a new product) to take advantage of perceived North American consumer desire for CCS1 adapters, and the current vacuum created by Tesla clamping down on the CCS1 adapter marketing pipeline (e.g., from Harumio to North America). And we already know that there are Chinese-made CCS1 adapters coming that are similar to the SETEC (with battery and firmware) and to the (electrical pass-through) Ukrainian models.
As above, given it is made in Taiwan, it reduces the chance of that factory selling the design or clones out the back door (as is commonly done for many product contract made in mainland China). They can of course reverse engineer a copy, but that's a different thing.

I wonder (and worry, a little) what the true potential market for CCS1 adapters really is. Besides the 'enthusiasts' on TMC, how many Tesla drivers really need and want one? How many will really end up buying one, and how much are they willing to pay? Has the previous (probably relatively small?) CHAdeMO-adapter market been a good indicator model for the potential for future CCS1 adapter sales? Anyone have any sales figures or other valid insights?
I imagine the demand of CCS is a lot more than the CHAdeMO adapter. It's much smaller and far more capable.

Reactions: M0SA
It looks like it goes between the adapter and the car.

Ha, ha. That thing has confused many people (me included). I asked Harumio about it and they sent me some).

Harumio Foam Pads

The idea, I guess, is to use it to help prevent scratching the car with the adapter(?). And maybe it would help to not forget and leave behind a J1772 adapter? I don't know, I am still confused ( :) ), but it was nice of Harumio to send them. Harumio told me that they were going to start including them with that (new version of the) adapter case, but now with the adapter has become mostly unavailable, I don't know if that will continue place.

I still have one pad left, as well as one official (the early Harumio version w/o J1772 indentation) and several unofficial (from Amazon/eBay/Harbor Freight) cases for the adapter. (See this thread, or if you are in a wacky mood, this one.) PM me for details.

By that logic, what's the point of having a web forum if people keep starting the same threads over and over again? Can't they just use the search function to find the same or similar threads? Well, I think you're smart enough and know the answer. People will continue to make "My car is rated at 303 miles of range, why am I seeing half of that?" and "Why does the air coming out my A/C smell?" threads.

I would also recommend a Google search tip. You can search a specific website such as this by adding site:teslamotorsclub.com after your search question. Example: My Tesla road trip site:teslamotorsclub.com

I often get the best results for what I am looking for this way.

good tip. Didn't know about the "site:' . Will have to try that. But while the same question over and over might be annoying, I understand it. I usually try a search and in fact TMC will offer what it thinks are similar threads. But getting the result you're looking for is easier said than done.

I have the same response for the frequent RTFM. While the Tesla owner's manual isn't bad, there is a huge amount that it doesn't cover.

I would also recommend a Google search tip. You can search a specific website such as this by adding site:teslamotorsclub.com after your search question. Example: My Tesla road trip site:teslamotorsclub.com

Actually when you start a new thread this forum does do an automatic search, although not google based (so probably a bit worse). It's trying to avoid people asking the same question a billion times when it has been answered. It's a real problem especially if people don't even make a minimal effort to search (as sometimes the questions would be even covered in a sticky).

good tip. Didn't know about the "site:' . Will have to try that. But while the same question over and over might be annoying, I understand it. I usually try a search and in fact TMC will offer what it thinks are similar threads. But getting the result you're looking for is easier said than done.

I have the same response for the frequent RTFM. While the Tesla owner's manual isn't bad, there is a huge amount that it doesn't cover.

That is a good tip. Thanks.

Also, it took me a bit of practice, but the internal search function associated with this forum site (upper right-hand, next to your user ID) can be very helpful and informative. With the standard search you can find references in all Posts and Threads, in titles only, in specific forums only (like in the classified ads), and by specific members. Once the results appear, you can order them by "relevance" or by date (I find that latter option particularly helpful), and you can thin the results out by forum, user, time, et cetera. And there is an advanced search that offers other options. Whether you are looking for references to particular subjects, posts by particular contributors, or just trying to find something you yourself wrote two years ago, the search function built into this forum software (and used on other forum sites, as well) has proven very useful (to me).

Right.

I have both a CHAdeMO adapter and a CCS1 adapter. IMO the choice is obvious. CHAdeMO is big and bulky, and it only charges at ~50 kW. So I do not understand <emphasis added> why CHAdeMO prices on eBay remain so high. (Maybe there are outlying North American areas where Superchargers and CCS1 stations are still rare?)

Others here have pointed out the obvious--that some (older or 6/21-10/21) ) Models S, X, 3, and even Y unfortunately did not come with CCS-charging capability. That is an obvious reason for people to still seek out the (less powerful, clunky) CHAdeMO adapters, or even the (sometimes problematic) SETEC/Lectron (CHAdeMO-mimic) CCS adapter.

Now (North American) Models 3 and Y with Gen4 ECUs lacking the necessary CCS-capable chip(s) (i.e., Tesla ECU Part No. 1537264-80-B) can easily receive the capable CCS-enabled ECUs (Tesla Part #1537264-00-B). And even cars with the older Gen3 ECUs (e.g., #1092755-99-D) can apparently be made CCS-capable with some DIY effort and parts (for example, see here).

Nonetheless, it is fully understandable that cautious Tesla drivers should choose to avoid DIY work and settle for a genuine, if less powerful, CHAdeMO adapter until Tesla officially releases a CCS1 adapter (along with authorized hardware retrofit/upgrades) for North America cars.

Well something is going on. Now Ingenext is showing their inventory as being sold out...

As of 1 PM (Pacific Time) 07/25/22 the Tesla-Korea site still shows the CCS1 adapter as being available (one per registered car, for Models 3/Y, blah-blah; the CHAdeMO adapter is also still available). (The Harumio site continues to have no adapters available.)

Besides Harumio, I am unfamiliar with other sources for Tesla CCS1 adapters. But could it mean that Tesla is finally serious about shutting down the unsanctioned Korea-to-North-America pipelines for its adapters? This is pure speculation, but is Tesla is finally preparing to release the CCS1 adapter for direct sale in Canada and the USA? I already have mine, but for the benefit of other drivers, I hope so.

Reactions: Nolakai and jsight