Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but why the sharing only among a pool of 2 chargers? It's better to use the V3-like architecture where a single transformer can power any of several chargers at 250-350 kW. Because sometimes, the two that happen to need it at the same time happen to be next to one another.
Less complexity? Or maybe it can and they just aren't describing it completely?

I'm curious how it works. For example at a 4 stall site in Colorado they took out all of the power distribution cabinets and CCS only stalls. Then installed, I think, three power cabinets and three 350kW "dispensers". So is the remaining CHAdeMO/CCS stall sharing power with one of the new 350kW stalls? (Or maybe they didn't really replace the cabinet the CHAdeMO/CCS stall uses.) But I thought it was reported that all three 350kW stalls were labeled as "Balanced Power".

I suspect we will get more details as more sites are upgraded and people get more experience with how they operate.

I think CharePoint, and Kempower, both have hardware that can share power across all stalls on a site. But EA is using a combination of BTC and Signet power distribution cabinets, both hooked to I think BTC "dispensers" for their "next gen" installs.

Last edited:
Yes but the point would be to have the tesla navigation do it.
It does on my android. Now I haven't actually done the navigation, but if I tap on the pin on the plugshare map to open the details, I see a smaller google map. If I tap on that, it brings up a 'share' menu and the tesla is one of the choices. tap on that and it sends the destination to the car. Using a local one, I have verified that it does get to the car and the car brings up a nav that looks correct. Even labeled as an EA station.

If you're on a trip, you can set destinations in the calendar. This is a bit from memory but if you start driving within a cuople hours of the event (that being arriving at the charger), it will automatically start navigating to that destination. I have used the calendar stuff and it has gotten confused when I put 2 in close together. For example I was picking up someone at 12:45 to get to a mtg at 1:30 and the 1:30 never showed.

• Informative
Reactions: samori01
It does on my android. Now I haven't actually done the navigation, but if I tap on the pin on the plugshare map to open the details, I see a smaller google map. If I tap on that, it brings up a 'share' menu and the tesla is one of the choices. tap on that and it sends the destination to the car. Using a local one, I have verified that it does get to the car and the car brings up a nav that looks correct. Even labeled as an EA station.

If you're on a trip, you can set destinations in the calendar. This is a bit from memory but if you start driving within a cuople hours of the event (that being arriving at the charger), it will automatically start navigating to that destination. I have used the calendar stuff and it has gotten confused when I put 2 in close together. For example I was picking up someone at 12:45 to get to a mtg at 1:30 and the 1:30 never showed.
That's not a terrible work around but still requires a decent chunk of effort to do. I'm used to sharing locations to my Tesla but I'd love to be able to set a destination in the Tesla Navigation and it route me to superchargers and/or EA chargers if we confirm we have the CCS adapter with us. Obviously it couldn't route us there without confirmation as I'm sure a lot of people do have the adapter yet but for those of us that do, it'd be great.

Anyone take delivery of a 2023 LRY in the last few weeks and fine that the website says it is not CCS compatible when they go to order the adaptor? My 7-seat PF394 is giving me that message.

Is 1537264-00-B the part number that is needed and how hard is it to get and install these days?

Anyone take delivery of a 2023 LRY in the last few weeks and fine that the website says it is not CCS compatible when they go to order the adaptor? My 7-seat PF394 is giving me that message.

Is 1537264-00-B the part number that is needed and how hard is it to get and install these days?
All new cars should be CCS enabled. Before going out and begin a part you don't need, you can check your car by going to the car menu, software, additional vehicle information. It should have a line that says something like CCS adapter support: Enabled.

The Tesla Store website probably just hasn't updated to show that new VINs are compatible.

We took delivery last Friday (11/4), and until 11/5 I could not order the CCS adapter. But, on the 5th, it was available to my account now that the Y was on it and ordered. We received it on 11/9. My 2018 Model 3 is not compatible currently.

Reactions: KJD
All new cars should be CCS enabled. Before going out and begin a part you don't need, you can check your car by going to the car menu, software, additional vehicle information. It should have a line that says something like CCS adapter support: Enabled.

The Tesla Store website probably just hasn't updated to show that new VINs are compatible.
That is what my vehicle tells me.

Attachments

• Tesla Software IMG_9296.JPG
    Tesla Software IMG_9296.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 127

Yes, thanks! Additional info screen in the car does say it is CCS enabled. The vin group must not be updated on Tesla's website to allow me to purchase the adaptor yet. I'll try later or use the developer tools trick.

With the news of Tesla fully opening up the connector, I wonder how long it will be before some of the third party networks start enabling access without an adapter?

A couple have been doing this for a while now. But it has been a CHAdeMO based approach.

If I were running a fast charging network, I'd want to attract all the Tesla customers that I could. So far it seems like only EVgo has taken significant steps in that direction.

Reactions: jsight and MP3Mike
With the news of Tesla fully opening up the connector, I wonder how long it will be before some of the third party networks start enabling access without an adapter?
The Tesla blog post says that network operators already have plans in motion. I suspect EVgo might be the first. (Since they have already worked with Tesla on integrating the CHAdeMO adapter into some of their sites.)

Reactions: jsight
Here's an oddball question - can the Tesla CCS adapter be used at a J1772 charger in place of the "pure" J1772 adapter we've all been carrying around for years?

I'd have thought it could be (CCS being a superset of the J1772), but the manual doesn't mention anything about it.
It wouldn't be allowed. Tesla shares the pins between AC and DC. A J1772 adapter would power the 2 larger pins up top with AC but this would also feed 120V or 240V AC to the exposed DC contacts, which could electrocute you.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy and jsight