Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS for Model 3 in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do question the wisdom of EA only providing a single CHAdeMO at the majority of their sites. If in a location where they get a lot of Tesla business, it may behoove them to raise the ratio to earn more revenue from the site.
But how many Tesla drivers own the $450 Chademo adapter?

I think it would make little sense for EA to build more Chademo outlets than they have to. The only Chademo car in the US with significant sales numbers is the Nissan Leaf, and most Leafs (with the exception of the brand new "Plus") have too little range to be commonly used for road trips. But in cycle 1 EA has focused on building highway stations ...

Reactions: Zoomit
When Supercharger sites with as many as 40 charging stalls are starting to fill up, a nearby CHAdeMO or two for overflow aren't going to make a lot of difference. Best use of CHAdeMO chargers are in places where there aren't any Superchargers nearby. Like in parts of Canada.

I do question the wisdom of EA only providing a single CHAdeMO at the majority of their sites. If in a location where they get a lot of Tesla business, it may behoove them to raise the ratio to earn more revenue from the site.

Right. Which is why I want to see CCS but everyone seems to have their heads in the sand about this.

Reactions: kayak1
Right. Which is why I want to see CCS but everyone seems to have their heads in the sand about this.

The thing about the CHAdeMO adapter is that it has been well developed, available, and proven to the Tesla S/X community for some time. So it made a lot of sense to make it work on the Model 3 as well. When the adapter first came out, there were a fair number of CHAdeMO sites around for Leaf owners, but CCS was almost non-existent.

Times change. I have nothing against Tesla developing a North American CCS adapter. The more the merrier. Wouldn't even bother me if at some point Tesla even switches over to CCS like they are doing now in Europe.

Reactions: Big Earl and KJD
The thing about the CHAdeMO adapter is that it has been well developed, available, and proven to the Tesla S/X community for some time. So it made a lot of sense to make it work on the Model 3 as well. When the adapter first came out, there were a fair number of CHAdeMO sites around for Leaf owners, but CCS was almost non-existent.

And more importantly it was required for delivering Model 3s in Japan.

I'm sure that they will get around making a NA CCS adapter available, I just don't know how soon.

If I try abetterrouteplanner to plan a trip from montreal to gaspé... I can´t get there with my tesla... If it has CCS (or Chademo) suddenly there are chargers on the way, and I can get there. If I want to go to Rouyn-Noranda... again, I can´t really get there with my (SR+) model 3... (it says to limit my speed to 70 kmh for half the trip) If I say to use Chademo or CCS, there are lots of good stops, and no speed limits. Chademo would solve the problem today... I guess I could do that, but It´s obvious CCS is the better long term investment... but I can´t buy that yet. It would be really great to have such a thing...

brand neutral as per the terms of the settlement, but yes, being funded by VW, I'm sure they did the bare minimum to meet the letter of the law that said they had to be brand neutral, meaning one single 50kW CHAdeMO charger per site.
Their behavior is nowhere near brand-neutral. They're totally stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicles, even though some of them (e.g. VW e-Golf) are only available in a very limited set of states.

Their behavior is nowhere near brand-neutral. They're totally stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicles, even though some of them (e.g. VW e-Golf) are only available in a very limited set of states.

Only in the sense that their vehicles uses CCS. But so do most other EVs other than the LEAF. So you could probably say that they are discriminating against the LEAF and other Japanese/Korean makes, but I'm not seeing that they are favoring VW above all other makes.

VW does use CCS and they are obviously pushing it more than CHAdeMO, but the market is shifting towards CCS as a whole. Only the Japanese brands are still using CHAdeMO and even the Honda Clarity is shifting to CCS. The Nissan Leaf is the only major car left to use CHAdeMO. If Toyota had made more of an effort on BEV, CHAdeMO may have had a chance but it looks like CCS is the VHS to CHAdeMO's Beta.

Now Tesla needs to get a CCS adapter for North America. I'm not spending money on the CHAdeMO adapter but would get the CCS one.

Now Tesla needs to get a CCS adapter for North America. I'm not spending money on the CHAdeMO adapter but would get the CCS one.

This is where I'm parked at the moment, although with the rapid expansion of the Supercharger network, I'm feeling that by the time a CCS adapter becomes available, even the need for that might be minimal. There was one hole in my typical travel routes where a CCS or CHAdeMO adapter might have been a benefit, but lo and behold, Sheetz decided to host a Supercharger at pretty much the exact point where it would be most beneficial in this long gap between the last Supercharger and home.

VW does use CCS and they are obviously pushing it more than CHAdeMO, but the market is shifting towards CCS as a whole. Only the Japanese brands are still using CHAdeMO and even the Honda Clarity is shifting to CCS. The Nissan Leaf is the only major car left to use CHAdeMO. If Toyota had made more of an effort on BEV, CHAdeMO may have had a chance but it looks like CCS is the VHS to CHAdeMO's Beta.

If you look at network capability and user base, it's more like CHAdeMO is Laserdisc, CCS is Betamax, and Superchargers are VHS.

I really wish Tesla would publish a standard so other companies could offer it as well, but the majority of DCFC capable cars in the US are Teslas and the ratio continues to favor Tesla more strongly as time goes on. The Supercharger network is far more capable than any other so far - and Tesla charges far less money for charging than the others do.

This is where I'm parked at the moment, although with the rapid expansion of the Supercharger network, I'm feeling that by the time a CCS adapter becomes available, even the need for that might be minimal.
It really depends on where you are. Try taking a road trip that passes through the LA metro area or the SF Bay Area. Most superchargers are overcrowded and quite often you will have to wait in line (and then charge slowly because you're almost always sharing a charger with someone who was there before you). On a recent trip from San Diego back to San Jose I lost about 2 hours because of this. I'd really like to be able to use EA chargers as an alternative when they finally go online in CA. There are also areas in North America (e.g. in Canada) were CCS chargers are more common than superchargers.

The market is actually shifting towards GB/T as a whole.

When Supercharger sites with as many as 40 charging stalls are starting to fill up, a nearby CHAdeMO or two for overflow aren't going to make a lot of difference. Best use of CHAdeMO chargers are in places where there aren't any Superchargers nearby. Like in parts of Canada.

EA are Volkswagen, which is a CCS company. So it's little more than lip service. But if Nissan released the Nissan e-HotCake all EA would need to do would be to change some charging cables and change the charger software configuration. There are lots of dual-protocol chargers. It's really not a big deal, and people are overstating the problem.