Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, $100 cheaper is a nice bonus for waiting so long. I’m still unable to add to cart as others indicate, but progress!
I gave up on waiting for Tesla a couple weeks ago and bought a used module off ebay for about $150 and installed it myself. Much cheaper than what Tesla charges, which is not bad for 30 minutes work. It's really quite easy to do. The trickiest thing is getting the trim off and back on. Swapping the module itself takes about one minute and really can't be done incorrectly. You don't even need to disconnect any batteries or power down the car.

After swapping the module, you must do a software reinstallation from the service mode and you're good to go. I verified regular L2 charging, then drove down to a nearby Buc-ees and verified that both supercharging and CCS charging worked.

I already had the CCS adapter for my Model Y, so all I needed was the electronics module. I've used it a couple times since then on different networks just to be sure all is good and it's worked every time.

I gave up on waiting for Tesla a couple weeks ago and bought a used module off ebay for about $150 and installed it myself. Much cheaper than what Tesla charges, which is not bad for 30 minutes work. It's really quite easy to do. The trickiest thing is getting the trim off and back on. Swapping the module itself takes about one minute and really can't be done incorrectly. You don't even need to disconnect any batteries or power down the car.

After swapping the module, you must do a software reinstallation from the service mode and you're good to go. I verified regular L2 charging, then drove down to a nearby Buc-ees and verified that both supercharging and CCS charging worked.

I already had the CCS adapter for my Model Y, so all I needed was the electronics module. I've used it a couple times since then on different networks just to be sure all is good and it's worked every time.
Unfortunately for older Model 3s like mine, I’d need the bundle of wires” with resistors that fake a sensor in the charge port. There’s been reports on here of charging faults on Superchargers in certain temperature conditions following this hack.

Anyone else seeing "No delivered cars on your account" error now?

1708642807088.png

Although it doesn't affect me, do any of the Model Ys that aren't CCS compatible yet require the Bundle of Wires harness? If not, it seems like Tesla should be offering the upgrade to any Model Y owner - since it is simply an ECU swap.

I did the Bundle of Wires mod for my 2018 Model 3, and it seems to work fine. However I can't help wonder if Tesla is designing an ECU that covers our older Model 3s, and does the temperature sensing more correctly than the BoW workaround.

If it does not come out by the time they open up the network, Im just going to upgrade it myself. I held off specifically because they promised an official retrofit 1.5 years ago!
I kept waiting as well, but finally did it myself. It was incredibly simple to do. Telsa even recognizes that I have the CCS capability now, so the online shop offers me the CCS adapter.

Reactions: KJD
My bigger concern is that Tesla doesn't show CCS locations in the nav. They need to add these so preconditioning can be activated. As you allude to, parts of the Tesla experience are starting to lag behind what competitors can do.
As I mentioned in a different thread. I can't see Tesla directing drivers to an unreliable CCS station that is more that likely to be unusable since they provide warranty tows to drivers who arrive at one of their stations they've directed them to and find it down.
Maybe they will if there end up being reliable CCS stations that can live up to Tesla's standards.

As I mentioned in a different thread. I can't see Tesla directing drivers to an unreliable CCS station that is more that likely to be unusable since they provide warranty tows to drivers who arrive at one of their stations they've directed them to and find it down.
Maybe they will if there end up being reliable CCS stations that can live up to Tesla's standards.
They do have CCS chargers in the nav in Europe and Australia, but it seems they haven't rolled it out to North America yet. (Or there are no CCS chargers that meet the requirements to be listed.)

When drivers navigate to a Qualified Third-Party Charger, the battery automatically preconditions to arrive with an optimal temperature, reducing the amount of time it takes to charge.

Qualified Charging Station Requirements
To be considered a Qualified Charging Station, it must meet these conditions over a 60-day period:
  1. At least one compatible charging connector
  2. Frequently used by Tesla drivers at least once every four days
  3. Average charge success rate is 90% or higher

Given those requirements, and that for example EA charges significantly more than Tesla, I wouldn't think enough Tesla drivers are using them to get the data necessary for them to be listed.

They probably got a lot of good data last year when EA had the system issue and the chargers were in free mode. But my success rate was below 90% on all of the EA sites I attempted to use to take advantage of the free electricity.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and Earl