Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, and I'm coming to this thread late, but the pictures in this post:

Center console now standard

show seats that are different from any I've seen. There seems to be some suede like material on part of the seats in addition to the regular, shinier and smoother leather, and there is also a gray piping on the tan seats.

I can't seem to find any pictures like this on the Tesla website.
Those are the old "performance" seats, discontinued quite a while back.

I know the performance seats included the piping. I didn't recall the suede, but I'll take your word for it. But why would Tesla be including the old seats in a picture of the new interior showing the new, apparently built in center-console?
Elsewhere we also saw pictures of the old rear seats without the rear window blocking headrests, a.k.a., Gen 1.0 (pre-mid-2014) seats. Sloppy web work when pulling up stuff from the graphic repository. To carry on with the joke, the intern hired for the website never saw a non-AP S to realize the seats changed.

But there wasn't a lack of a center console for those who wanted one. As the cars are built to order, I don't see why having the center console optional was a negative for anyone.

If it had been a no-extra-cost option (as in "either or", like opting for no model lettering on the rear which is typically a no-extra-cost option on many cars) I would agree. But making the customer pay through the nose for something that the majority seems to prefer as standard never felt right. Obviously Tesla themselves seem to agree with that now or else they wouldn't have done it.

+1

Just because a few early adopters convinced themselves that they could make do with Tesla's omission of a center console and even somehow managed to tell themselves they preferred it that way doesn't mean the majority of people worldwide buying cars would agree.
Time to get off your high horse there. This has to be one of the most condescending post I've seen in a while here.

You swiftly and simply dismiss other peoples opinions differing from yours as people fooling themselves. I have no problem understanding people wanting a console, but at the same time I wouldnt want one if I was paid money to get it.

Personally I partly bought the S because of the lack of a console made me able to rest my right leg while driving without it being prodded by a console all the time. As a tall man that is almost impossible to find in cars these days. I never even considered buying the console, and as mentioned I wouldnt have included it even if it was "free".

I will never buy a new model s if the console get standard(not that I really considered that anyway). A model x maybe as the seating position is different, but no model s if the console is mandatory and non-removable.

No console has turned out to be genious for us. My wife loves it as well as she fits her purse into it.

Time to get off your high horse there. This has to be one of the most condescending post I've seen in a while here.

You swiftly and simply dismiss other peoples opinions differing from yours as people fooling themselves. I have no problem understanding people wanting a console, but at the same time I wouldnt want one if I was paid money to get it.

Personally I partly bought the S because of the lack of a console made me able to rest my right leg while driving without it being prodded by a console all the time. As a tall man that is almost impossible to find in cars these days. I never even considered buying the console, and as mentioned I wouldnt have included it even if it was "free".

I will never buy a new model s if the console get standard(not that I really considered that anyway). A model x maybe as the seating position is different, but no model s if the console is mandatory and non-removable.

No console has turned out to be genious for us. My wife loves it as well as she fits her purse into it.

Lots of I's / us's in your post as well. So it seems we both have our own - personal - views. And that in itself isn't inherently negative.

But what convinces me that I am not totally wrong with my statement is the fact that Tesla themselves seem to agree.
They made such a big point about the "less is more" design at the beginning. Making the center console standard on their model lineup now seems to me to be indication enough that somehow - exactly because they listen to their customers - Tesla has more customers / potential customers who prefer the more conventional layout. Personal preferences of some notwithstanding.

Can't see what's supposed to be condescending in any way about a rational observation. But if you feel that way, I can only apologize to you. It was not meant that way at all.

Lots of I's / us's in your post as well. So it seems we both have our own - personal - views. And that in itself isn't inherently negative.

But what convinces me that I am not totally wrong with my statement is the fact that Tesla themselves seem to agree.
They made such a big point about the "less is more" design at the beginning. Making the center console standard on their model lineup now seems to me to be indication enough that somehow - exactly because they listen to their customers - Tesla has more customers / potential customers who prefer the more conventional layout. Personal preferences of some notwithstanding.

Can't see what's supposed to be condescending in any way about a rational observation. But if you feel that way, I can only apologize to you. It was not meant that way at all.
You missed the point. Your post described those with a different view as someone who had fooled themselves into believing they didnt need the console. Leaving no room for opposite views being ratinal. Leading to your view being the only rational one. Backing it up with majority rules/tesla agrees only makes the point once over.

I restate that I have no problem seeing people wanting a console. Might even so that most people want it...

But that doesnt mean that those of us in the minority have fooled ourselves....

You missed the point. Your post described those with a different view as someone who had fooled themselves into believing they didnt need the console.

I think "to fool oneself" is something quite different than "to convince oneself". Which is why I didn't use the word "fool" at all, nor did I mean to imply that. Again, I can only apologize if it came across that way. It was not my intention.
And with "rational observation" I meant the observation that Tesla have made the center console standard. That observation is rational as it is fact. I never said there couldn't be rational reasons for not wanting a center console.

I like not having a center console.
Hope to order a 3 without one as well. If it's standard, please make it removable!

I 'm with you. Love my no center console S85 from 2014. It is like a racing sailboat where when below (inside), you are looking right at the unfinished hull, keel bolts and chainplates. And it's FUNCTIONAL. I love all the things about the S that are not like conventional cars because they just don't have to be, and which show high functionality and design smarts. E.g frunk, hand closing frunk lid. Center console is a sop to expectations of conventional luxury car buyer, which I never have been (car before my S was a Mini Cooper). But hey, it takes all kinds to make a world. Might as well make the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus converts happy as well as me.

I like the option of the center console being a standard option, but I do with it were available without, or better yet, removable. That space is perfect for purse instead of the floor where everyone's feet go, or the seat so it can fly off and spill once a week.

HeIsAGod carries a purse? Whatever. The space is also perfect for seasoning with coffee when you inexplicably put your coffee cup down there rather than the cup holder because you are only going around the block, then accelerate a little harder than you meant to and season the obeche wood with Early Bird Medium Roast.

• Funny
Reactions: Soundchasr
HeIsAGod carries a purse? Whatever. The space is also perfect for seasoning with coffee when you inexplicably put your coffee cup down there rather than the cup holder because you are only going around the block, then accelerate a little harder than you meant to and season the obeche wood with Early Bird Medium Roast.
Jerry Seinfeld: "It's not a purse. It's European!"

I think it's safe to say that largely speaking, people prefer center consoles. There is a certain contingent of Model S owner that is unable to see any of the car's faults for what they are and instead they simply write off missing options as "added complexity" or "a simply design". Things like the omission of door pockets, the lack of a real center console, adaptive headlights, etc are all glaring omissions and all things I suspect Tesla will address in future models and indeed they have as I believe the X includes a center console and LED headlights.

Do some people prefer the empty space? Sure. I don't hate it but I really find myself missing the console from my previous 5 series. I also feel like the current consoles (Tesla's included) are all one notch above a generic ones you can get from Pep Boys. There's no reason a $100,000+ car should have a console that looks like someone grabbed from the accessory aisle at AutoZone.

There is a certain contingent of Model S owner that is unable to see any of the car's faults for what they are and instead they simply write off missing options as "added complexity" or "a simply design". Things like the omission of door pockets, the lack of a real center console, adaptive headlights, etc are all glaring omissions and all things I suspect Tesla will address in future models and indeed they have as I believe the X includes a center console and LED headlights.

I agree. This is a lot like the first iPhone. It was revolutionary in some aspects but "not quite there" in other respects (no Exchange email, no cut/paste, etc.). Apple fans thought it was the best thing ever invented and failed (or refused) to see that it couldn't do what a lot phones already could. The Model S is, no doubt, revolutionary in many ways. However, it is not perfect and I think even Tesla, the company, would admit that. Unfortunately, it seems that some of the Tesla fans would rather crucify people that are critical of the car rather than be open-minded to other points of view.

Reactions: bradjc
Unfortunately, it seems that some of the Tesla fans would rather crucify people that are critical of the car rather than be open-minded to other points of view.
It's funny, because I feel the opposite is the case. It seems (from my perspective) that those of us who prefer no console are being marginalized. The last two posts say that we are blinded by Tesla love, and obviously can't have a reasonable opinion.

I loathe door pockets. People in my family load them with stuff that's never removed except by me. I've had them in all cars until the Tesla, and I don't miss them a lick. Is that because I just think Tesla does everything right, or can I reasonably be glad they're not included?

I think it's safe to say that largely speaking, people prefer center consoles. There is a certain contingent of Model S owner that is unable to see any of the car's faults for what they are and instead they simply write off missing options as "added complexity" or "a simply design". Things like the omission of door pockets, the lack of a real center console, adaptive headlights, etc are all glaring omissions and all things I suspect Tesla will address in future models and indeed they have as I believe the X includes a center console and LED headlights.

Do some people prefer the empty space? Sure. I don't hate it but I really find myself missing the console from my previous 5 series. I also feel like the current consoles (Tesla's included) are all one notch above a generic ones you can get from Pep Boys. There's no reason a $100,000+ car should have a console that looks like someone grabbed from the accessory aisle at AutoZone.
Dont really disagree about any of the other points such as door pockets, adaptive lights, missing HUD and the horrible cupholder-placement among many nitpicks. But the center console is a feature I really hate in most newer cars as it makes my right leg go to sleep on longer drives. Driving the model s for hours has no such problem:) thus for me it is a definite plus and I honestly havent wanted a console there once.

BMWs are worst in class actually when it comes to me and center consoles as it builds out towards the driver(sadly much better room in the passenger seat). I refused to buy a 5-series wagon some 5years ago due to the center console alone. I really liked the rest of that car and oooh the comfort seats. Tested a X3 as well which was even worse with its center console.

My grief with the comment by @AustinPowers was that it was written as if no normal person could ever want the current setup without "convincing ourselves" that we really needed/wanted it this way. To me that convincing-statement more than implies that my opinion isnt valid and/or really isnt even my own opinion in the first place.

I cheered when I realised that Tesla had made it possible to utilize the space left open by the ev-drivetrain:) I needed no convincing at all...

At the same time I have no problem seeing that my long leg issues isnt an issue for most people;)

Reactions: dlv1984
I think "to fool oneself" is something quite different than "to convince oneself". Which is why I didn't use the word "fool" at all, nor did I mean to imply that. Again, I can only apologize if it came across that way. It was not my intention.
And with "rational observation" I meant the observation that Tesla have made the center console standard. That observation is rational as it is fact. I never said there couldn't be rational reasons for not wanting a center console.

I was somewhat annoyed/offended by the "early adopters convinced themselves" post. I put a dislike on that post (which I have since removed), not because I disagreed with you, but because in my eyes that post was unnecessarily abrasive. Thank you very much for clarifying with the follow-up posts. I'll go back to enjoying my console-less S85D now. :)

Peace...

It's funny, because I feel the opposite is the case. It seems (from my perspective) that those of us who prefer no console are being marginalized. The last two posts say that we are blinded by Tesla love, and obviously can't have a reasonable opinion.

I loathe door pockets. People in my family load them with stuff that's never removed except by me. I've had them in all cars until the Tesla, and I don't miss them a lick. Is that because I just think Tesla does everything right, or can I reasonably be glad they're not included?

Different strokes different folks man. I don't like the pockets either just like how I don't like the "oh sh*" handles. It detracts away from the cleanliness of the lines and design.