Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, all depends on how heavy the Chademo plug and the adapter end of the unit is. Never held a Chademo plug so its hard to say. I can only assume that the port can handle it if Tesla designed it as such and is selling it.

That, or they are not allowed to have the adapter on the ground for safety/standards reasons.

Well, all depends on how heavy the Chademo plug and the adapter end of the unit is. Never held a Chademo plug so its hard to say. I can only assume that the port can handle it if Tesla designed it as such and is selling it.
The Yazaki connector shown in the picture (and used in most CHAdeMO stations) weighs 3.5 lbs (1.6kg) not including the cable. If you add the socket on the Tesla adapter I would say there's a good 7 lbs or more hanging there.
http://charge.yazaki-group.com/english/pdf/YPES-15-1197E.pdf

Like I said previously, given both are locking connectors, I assume most of the weight is taken up by the locking pins (which I assume is more robust than the other pins, although it would still be more strain than anticipated at least on the CHAdeMO connector side). Otherwise, yes it would result in excess strain on the charging port.

I've noticed people don't seem to buy the 6-50 adapter. Why is that? I've actually needed it twice now... welding stations use it and it comes in quite handy.

I don't know where I would find a welding station on a trip.

For me the adapters are only for road trips. I have absolutely no range anxiety while in San Diego, and will not even be carrying the UMC (I plan on just leaving it plugged in at home)

And now Nissan is offering $15,000 to businesses to install CHAdeMO chargers ...

Nissan Offers $15,000 For New Electric-Car Quick Chargers By Dec 31

How will this play out? As Model S can now charge at them, will Nissan rethink this?

And for this new program, who will pay for the electricity? Consumer or Nissan?

Still cost the business $13k after a $12k Federal Tax Credit. Seems Nissan's $40k cost to install could be artificially high, so they're not really dishing out much. Doesn't TESLA install for at no cost to the business ? Be interesting to know how many businesses will go for the Nissan deal.

Tesla has posted an updated picture of the Chademo adapter actually plugged in:
chademo-adapter_1024x1024.jpg

$1000 for a year of gas? That would be something like only 10000 miles a year in a car that gets 40 mpg.

There are not a lot of cars that look and drive like the Model S that get 40MPG and I drive a lot more than 10k miles a year. ;)

Just because the Model S is big and heavy doesn't mean that someone who purchased a Model S only would have bought a comparably heavy BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. My previous car was a Prius that averaged 48 MPH. If I had not purchased the Model S, I likely would have sprung for a Lexus hybrid at around $50k. My annual fueling cost in a Prius was around $1,400, Model S is just under $400, so in my case the cost of the CHAdeMO would be roughly equivalent to a year of gas savings.

Just because the Model S is big and heavy doesn't mean that someone who purchased a Model S only would have bought a comparably heavy BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. My previous car was a Prius that averaged 48 MPH. If I had not purchased the Model S, I likely would have sprung for a Lexus hybrid at around $50k. My annual fueling cost in a Prius was around $1,400, Model S is just under $400, so in my case the cost of the CHAdeMO would be roughly equivalent to a year of gas savings.

I guess I don't use "a year of gas" as a measure of if something is worth getting for the Model S. The car itself is 90+ "years of gas", so one more for additional refueling flexibility at the destination city (where superchargers generally are not found), seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
To be honest. $1000/year of fuel savings is probably the floor. Comparing a Prius to a Tesla Model S is being extremely generous to the generic ICE population. It may be accurate for a particular user but it certainly isn't the mean or even median convert. And if you are looking at potential converts vs actual the situation gets more biased toward lower MPG on the ICE side.

What is the current state of the Blink DC chargers? I know that Blink had problems with the J1772 plugs on their L2 chargers and did not maintain all the stations they installed. There are quite a few Blink DC fast chargers in the SF Bay Area, where I am. Is anyone here using these chargers on another vehicle and can report on their true availability? I put a lot of miles on my S every day and access to these chargers via the CHAdeMO adaptor would make a huge difference to me.
-P
Philip Macafee

Virtually all Blink charge stations have potential failings, so it's not wise to expect that they are going to work. For CHAdeMO DC charging, at least you don't have to worry about them physically damaging your car like the Blink J1772 30 amp stations can.

Blink was recently purchased after sucking up over $100 million of your tax money (and sold for about $3 million), so I would expect that it will be a long time before that new company gets around to fixing all the Blinks.

Consider that any Blink that you find to work properly as a good day to buy a lottery ticket.

The CEO of CarCharging Group sent an e-mail letter to Blink Network members which I partially quote below:

CarCharging has always been committed to supporting the EV industry and we want to assure you that the Blink charging stations will continue to operate. We will work as quickly as possible to rectify any outstanding issues in order to elevate the Blink stations and network to the highest quality standard.

If you have an urgent maintenance issue (i.e. your charger does not work), please contact the Blink Call Center at (888) 998-2546 and we will do our best to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

We appreciate your support and we look forward to serving you! Charge on!
We will see how quickly their reputation improves. A key metric will be the amount of time it takes to bring offline CHAdeMO units back online. Stories like this one at Plugincars.com show how bad it has been at times.

The CEO of CarCharging Group sent an e-mail letter to Blink Network members which I partially quote below:

We will see how quickly their reputation improves. A key metric will be the amount of time it takes to bring offline CHAdeMO units back online. Stories like this one at Plugincars.com show how bad it has been at times.
I wouldn't hold my breath. CarCharging Group is stuck with it's own troubles in Chicago:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0926-charging-ruling--20130926,0,7873451.story

They manage the Walgreens chargers too, so the reliability of those are probably a good indication of this company.

Regarding the pics posted: If the J1772 Combo AC-DC is the "Frankenplug" then this is the "Frankendapter". It sure looks like it would put mechanical stress on the charge port. That said I'll want it as soon as they announce it in EU!

I wouldn't hold my breath. CarCharging Group is stuck with it's own troubles in Chicago:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0926-charging-ruling--20130926,0,7873451.story

They manage the Walgreens chargers too, so the reliability of those are probably a good indication of this company.

That link seems to require a membership, but here is another Tribune link that describes the tawdry dealings at length.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...n-charging-stations-electric-vehicle-stations

Philip MacAfee

Last edited:
Can you elaborate further, any links to stories of blink chargers damaging vehicles would be great.
Tony's Blink home charging station melted his RAV4 EV. All the gory pictures are here. That event and others exposed the fact that Blink used J1772 handles from REMA that were very poorly crimped. The poorly crimped pins overheat when they're used at 30A. That eventually led Blink to turn down many home and public charging stations to 16A. Some folks got their J1772 cord replaced and the station turned back up to the normal 30A level. A related story at PluginCars.com showed that Honda put thermal protection on the J1772 inlet of the Fit EV and protected their cars from this same defect.

Last edited:
Tony's Blink home charging station melted his RAV4 EV. All the gory pictures are here. That event and others exposed the fact that Blink used J1772 handles from REMA that were very poorly crimped. The poorly crimped pins overheat when they're used at 30A. That eventually led Blink to turn down many home and public charging stations to 16A. Some folks got their J1772 cord replaced and the station turned back up to the normal 30A level. A related story at PluginCars.com showed that Honda put thermal protection on the J1772 inlet of the Fit EV and protected their cars from this same defect.
Wow!
Interesting, I'm guessing the public blink chargers are ok since none have damaged any vehicles.

Thank you for filling me in!