Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I don't think Tesla's right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

When they bundled the dual chargers with the HPWC, the rational I received was that the HPWC was the only place the dual chargers were useful. Hogwash. There are 70 Amp Roadster HPCs, a bunch of CS-90 J1772s up in Canada, and soon the CHAdeMO will be available.

Sure glad I opted for the duals when I configured, even though as an apartment renter, they are useless for home charging.

You realize that CHAdeMO is DC charging so like Superchargers, they bypass the dual chargers, yes? So while you may have a lot more opportunities to use your dual chargers now, CHAdeMO won't be one of them.

When they bundled the dual chargers with the HPWC, the rational I received was that the HPWC was the only place the dual chargers were useful. Hogwash. There are 70 Amp Roadster HPCs, a bunch of CS-90 J1772s up in Canada, and soon the CHAdeMO will be available.

While I agree with your point that dual chargers are more relevant away from home, the dual chargers are not applicable to the CHAdeMO adapter: CHAdeMO is DC and so makes use of the same on-board equipment as Supercharging (ie. the charger itself is in the CHAdeMO cabinet, not using the one(s) in the car). The on-board chargers are only used for AC input.

For me, charging speed - and the ability to charge from as many sources as possible - has to be right up there at the top of the list of mandatory items, above even S, P or P+. Twin chargers + supercharger + Chademo (thank you thank you thank you!) is a no-brainer.

It's just mildly annoying that these things are being sold as options. Who wouldn't want twin chargers? That one time at thanksgiving, when you are far away from home, all the family are in the car, and maybe you ran out of charge quicker than you thought you would... do you really want to have to spend those extra hours - while the car charges at 50% of the available charging speed - wishing you had paid for the upgrade?

You can now sign up for the waiting list for the adapter. I had a website tracking it for changes and it changed yesterday. I am now on the list.

This is a game changer for Atlanta since the superchargers are not coming here for a long time. You can now go north and to Birmingham and west. The good thing is Nissan dealerships are adding DC chargers quickly which helps to go places that do not have good highway access (like the gulf coast, Destin, 30A) and where superchargers may not address even when they come in 2015.

I think this adapter vastly improves access and is a much better investment than dual chargers which are more expensive, it is very rare to find >40A chargers in the wild, and less than half as fast as CHAdeMO.

From the website:
For customers already taken delivery of your Model S, sign up for wait list and product updates by emailing:[email protected].

I would highly recommend not basing the availability of the CHAdeMO adapter/CHAdeMO chargers on whether you go with the Twin chargers. It's been my experience, that taking an "all of the above" approach to charging option preparations is the key. the value of being able to use plugshare/Recargo and plug into 80A chargers in the wild can be critical if you find yourself in a pinch or are off the beaten path. currently there are nearly 200,000 gas stations in the US, there is a lot of redundancy for a reason, because all kinds of things come up that make convenience the key. each owners home charging station makes up for a lot of this, but the value of having all the options open as you go, particularly on longs trips, should not be underestimated!

It's been my experience, that taking an "all of the above" approach to charging option preparations is the key. the value of being able to use plugshare/Recargo and plug into 80A chargers in the wild can be critical if you find yourself in a pinch or are off the beaten path.

I totally agree. I added the dual to mine for that reason.

Plus, I have adapters for 5-15, 5-20, TT30, 10-30, 10-50, 14-30, 6-20, and 14-50 outlets. I consider it relatively cheap insurance for road trips. Even if I only need them once, it will make the $220 investment well worth it.

Plus, I have adapters for 5-15, 5-20, TT30, 10-30, 10-50, 14-30, 6-20, and 14-50 outlets. I consider it relatively cheap insurance for road trips.

LOL! you've got me beat by the 5-20. It is all cheap insurance, much cheaper than my time waiting around. It's surprising how much one's perspective changes with respect to what is valuable before vs after ownership. as time goes by, you realize it's all valuable, depending on what is available wherever you are... Even a TT30 limited to 20A at 110V is worth it's weight in gold for multi day camping if your only other option is a 5-15 at 12A, just as a CHAdeMO adapter is if your only other option is 80A at 240V when you are actually having to stand around counting the minutes, it's all VERY relative!!! My goal is to limit, as much as possible, actually sitting at a charging station waiting for the car to charge. With more options, it's easier to get the charging done while you are sleeping/eating or otherwise having fun somewhere you'd rather be.

The CHAdeMO adapter is going to be a very valuable tool in the charging adapter chest for trip planning!!

You can now sign up for the waiting list for the adapter. I had a website tracking it for changes and it changed yesterday. I am now on the list.

This is a game changer for Atlanta since the superchargers are not coming here for a long time. You can now go north and to Birmingham and west. The good thing is Nissan dealerships are adding DC chargers quickly which helps to go places that do not have good highway access (like the gulf coast, Destin, 30A) and where superchargers may not address even when they come in 2015.

I think this adapter vastly improves access and is a much better investment than dual chargers which are more expensive, it is very rare to find >40A chargers in the wild, and less than half as fast as CHAdeMO.

From the website:
For customers already taken delivery of your Model S, sign up for wait list and product updates by emailing:[email protected].
Thanks! I signed up. Now I just need 1-2 SCs between here and CA. Let's see which 'winter' arrives first. AZ SCs or Chademo Adapter.

And now Nissan is offering $15,000 to businesses to install CHAdeMO chargers ...

Nissan Offers $15,000 For New Electric-Car Quick Chargers By Dec 31

How will this play out? As Model S can now charge at them, will Nissan rethink this?

And for this new program, who will pay for the electricity? Consumer or Nissan?

That article is crazy good for Tesla owners. Nissan is paying subsidies of $15,000 for DC quick charge station, plus the 30% tax credit, etc.

So Tesla Model S owners can use Nissan subsidized CHAdeMO DC chargers, but Nissan Leaf owners cannot use Tesla Superchargers.
Works for me.

It sounds like the business is the owner of the CHAdeMO DC chargers.
Each business will likely make a decision as to the cost for use of the electricity (free or fee).

New picture of the CHAdeMO adapter plugged in:

chademo-adapter_1024x1024.jpg

Sometimes I don't think Tesla's right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

Sure glad I opted for the duals when I configured, even though as an apartment renter, they are useless for home charging.

CHAdeMO is direct DC charging, isn't it? The on board chargers (twin or single) are not used. This is why you need the supercharging option enabled to use the CHAdeMO adapter.

Plus, I have adapters for 5-15, 5-20, TT30, 10-30, 10-50, 14-30, 6-20, and 14-50 outlets. I consider it relatively cheap insurance for road trips. Even if I only need them once, it will make the $220 investment well worth it.

I've noticed people don't seem to buy the 6-50 adapter. Why is that? I've actually needed it twice now... welding stations use it and it comes in quite handy.