Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago I saw people post here about getting the email, who put themselves on the waiting list 9 months before me. I got my email today, so they really are going through the waiting list pretty quick. Within a few weeks they will be all caught up.

Well, look at what arrived to greet me at the office today. :biggrin:
Don't really need a charge, but perhaps I'll try it out over lunch today since there is a Chademo near my office at Powertech Labs.

I was expecting to have to pay duty or tax, but it seems like Tesla prearranged all that - perfect.

IMG_2733.JPG

Something wrong here. Ordered last Friday got order confirmation that day, money way taken out of my PayPal account that day, but still no shipping confirmation.

Oops, just got an email from Tesla responding to my inquiry about shipping. Apparently, the unit is in Atlanta and to be delivered tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my car charging with the CHAdeMO adapter. FYI the adapter weighs 4# 10oz. The CHAdeMO connector seems to weigh more than that. The combined weights with the leverage seem to really torque the Tesla charging socket to the point of turning off and on with occasional yellow color (that I had never seen before) and red. I'm off to my workshop to craft a support stand to support the weight of the stuff and take the strain off of the charging socket. If anyone else has noticed this effect drop a line here.

Attachments

• P1040232_T.jpg
    P1040232_T.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 441
  • P1040232.jpg
    P1040232.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 450
The combined weights with the leverage seem to really torque the Tesla charging socket to the point of turning off and on with occasional yellow color (that I had never seen before) and red.

I was concerned about this too when I first saw Tesla's adapter design and can see it having a detrimental effect on the charge port with any significant use.

How does the adapter attach to the CHAdeMO connector? I would be a bit concerned with water ingress if it was raining, for example.

I was concerned about this too when I first saw Tesla's adapter design and can see it having a detrimental effect on the charge port with any significant use.

How does the adapter attach to the CHAdeMO connector? I would be a bit concerned with water ingress if it was raining, for example.
CHAdeMO male connector goes into adapter female connector for about 5cm, and it locks in place. I used the adapter in rain many times but it seems relatively watertight. After all female part sit above the male part so the rain doesn't go directly inside the connection.

Don't you think Tesla thought of this when the designed the adapter? They must have decided that the charge port can safely handle that much weight. It's not like this is a subtle issue that might have been overlooked.

I wouldn't really assume anything, even the most obvious design oversights are missed from time to time. A lot of times it just depends on who is involved with the review process.

Supporting the adapter sure can not hurt. I had a service tech at my home looking at my Roadster and to my surprise he checked to make sure my UMC cable was being supported at the adapter connection saying they had had problems with those that had not been supported. My Roadster problem had nothing to do with charging so it was just something they were told to look at. Anyways, the Roadster adapter connectors are really stout and if they have issues, then I would not be surprised if this CHAdeMO adapter could cause problems down the road.

I try to park close enough to the L3 unit that the heavy cable rests on the pavement. I arrange that cable to relieve as much pressure on the car port as possible. My observation is that there is not really a problem with application of this "weight" on the port.