Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge door not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I wish I was closer. Both service centers are 90 minutes away and they must have loaners if he said they would determine on site. Seems silly. I will have my kids with me so I’ll try and get a car before my wife arrives.
im pretty sure you’re entitled to a car rental covered by Tesla if they claim they don’t have a loaner. But also that’s only if the repair has to take more than a few hours. What they pulled on me last time is to ask me to wait - I didn’t but also was in no mood to figh them when Uber is 15 bucks. Check you local state consumer laws for warranty repairs.

No one is ”entitled” to a loaner. But if you have a specific need, be sure to include the request in your service ticket. They will do their best to provide one if possible.
Correct. But you're definitely entitled to car rental if no loaner is available and the repair takes more than a few hours. Check your rights. E.g. in NJ this is explicitly spelled and I imagine in most states too. E.g. check section 17:18-19. Noone can be asked to sit and wait for Tesla to finish their warranty repairs all day and be on their dime if they don't - not in states with consumer laws.

That said, I agree demanding and fighting is not the best route, just ask nicely but firmly. Fight only if met with arrogance and ignorance.

No one is ”entitled” to a loaner. But if you have a specific need, be sure to include the request in your service ticket. They will do their best to provide one if possible.
Yes but having 6 things they need to look at on a brand new car is irritating and shouldn’t be hard to get a loaner car. Picked up 11/29. I live 90 mins away from the closest service center. Even asked if they could look at it while I was flying away for 5 days and they told me they do not want my car to sit at their lot past 24 hours of completion. Irritating when there’s no service centers nearby. Anyways went to another center which is much nicer and had no issues getting a loaner today.

Funny thing is this service center (Louisville) has heard issues from several customers about the Cincy location. He said I wasn’t the first one to complain. Only problem is we have to pickup in Ohio. No direct sales allowed in KY but the Louisville service center is 100x nicer. He says we wouldn’t have told you that. If we don’t have to provide a loaner you can leave the car here.

My car was in service for 9 days (waiting on some exterior trim part SC damaged during a 1st delivery visit) and one of the issues I added was the charge port door not opening via the wand(s) I have at home. So they end up upgrading my software from 2023.44.30.6 to 2023.44.30.7, either before or after claim to have tested the opening and it just worked fine according to the notes, then I come home and nope it doesn’t. Any clue what’s going on with these charge door receivers ?

Attachments

• IMG_1228.png
    IMG_1228.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
2023.38.9 not going to fix this issue. It'll come back. Service center update my X to this version try to fix this issue, but issue came back when I pickup my car.

Concern: Customer states: Charge port door does not open when pressing the charger handle
button. Had tried mobile connector, wall connector and supercharger, none of them work.

Repair Notes: Verified customer's concern. Installed latest firmware update and rechecked. Verified charge port door opens when using charge cable handle.
Correction: Diagnosis: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity Check

Latest reply from service center:
Good morning, the charge port issue needs to be investigated further. We will create a follow up. Currently we do not have solution and will follow up once we determine the root cause. We were able to get the button to work after updating the software. Now we understand the issue still remains. Our virtual team will start the review process. Thank you.
Follow up on my case, after 3 attempts, they finally fixed my charge door issue. it's hardware problem, not software.

Concern: Customer states: Charge port door does not open when pressing the charger handle
button. Had tried mobile connector, wall connector and supercharger, none of them work.

Repair Notes: Verified customer's concern. Installed latest firmware update and rechecked. Verified charge port door opens when using charge cable handle.

Good morning, the charge port issue needs to be investigated further. We will create a follow up. Currently we do not have solution and will follow up once we determine the root cause. We were able to get the button to work after updating the software. Now we understand the issue still remains. Our virtual team will start the review process. Thank you.

Concern: ***second attempt****Customer states: The charge port door does not open when we
press the charge cable button, this is true for the super charger cable release button and the at home
charge cable release button. Service updated the software and we tested once we got home just to
find the cable button still does not open the door.

Repair Notes: Technician verified customer concern. Inspected circuit integrity and found no issues
within the harness for charge port door. Verified internal fault within the charge port electronic control
module. Technician removed and replaced affected Module. Verified Charge port door is now
working as intended.

Correction: ECU - Charge Port (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added: ASSEMBLY CHARGE PORT CONTROLLER GEN 4 NA(1619321-01-C)

Concern: **COMEBACK ** charge port door does not open with supercharging cable , I tested it
when client came to pick up the car

Repair Notes: Technician verified customer concern. Inspected circuit integrity and found no issues
within the harness for charge port door. Charge port Electronic control Unit did not resolve issue.
Verified internal fault within the Left Rear Bluetooth endpoint causing signal communication issues.
Technician removed and replaced affected Module. Verified Charge port door is now working as
intended after multiple attempts.

Correction: Module - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) - Rear (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added: ASY, SX LEFT REAR BLE UHF (315MHz) (1758309-10-A)

This BLE module located inside driver side rear bumper fascia, post #42 (link below) in this thread has the part picture.
post #42

Last edited:
Follow up on my case, after 3 attempts, they finally fixed my charge door issue. it's hardware problem, not software.

Concern: ***second attempt****Customer states: The charge port door does not open when we
press the charge cable button, this is true for the super charger cable release button and the at home
charge cable release button. Service updated the software and we tested once we got home just to
find the cable button still does not open the door.

within the harness for charge port door. Verified internal fault within the charge port electronic control
module. Technician removed and replaced affected Module. Verified Charge port door is now
working as intended.

Correction: ECU - Charge Port (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added: ASSEMBLY CHARGE PORT CONTROLLER GEN 4 NA(1619321-01-C)

Concern: **COMEBACK ** charge port door does not open with supercharging cable , I tested it
when client came to pick up the car

within the harness for charge port door. Charge port Electronic control Unit did not resolve issue.
Verified internal fault within the Left Rear Bluetooth endpoint causing signal communication issues.
Technician removed and replaced affected Module. Verified Charge port door is now working as
intended after multiple attempts.

Correction: Module - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) - Rear (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added: ASY, SX LEFT REAR BLE UHF (315MHz) (1758309-10-A)

This BLE module located inside driver side rear bumper fascia, post #42 (link below) in this thread has the part picture.
post #42
Good to know. Mine was fixed after the holiday firmware release and am not facing any issues since the release for the first time. I think majority will be firmware related but glad to know you were able to get yours fixed with hardware replace. This will be my next option if faced again and will note this post as a reference. THANK YOU!

Mine sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. If the car has been asleep for a while and it wakes up it doesn't. If the car was just parked and I am trying to plug it in it does, but I have not repeated this enough times to be sure it's the pattern. This could be either a hardware or a software issue or a mix. Fairly annoyed they simply tried it once, and declared it a non-issue - typical SC ignore and check off to keep the pipeline flowing crap. They could have reached out to discuss this.

Mine still works about 25% of the time or less. Have 2 service appointments in a row, for one the car got towed due to weird behavior and a bunch of alerts. At this point I hope I don't have a lemon, the charge port should be the easier to fix problem.

So far has worked since xmas. Wonder if they put a timed reboot on the module that keeps failing (was told updates reboot that module which is why works for a bit after an update) as a way to "fix" the problem.
same here still going strong as well and opens on every attempt. The range has gotten better as well and i now can press the button 3-4 feet away and it opens right up lol. I'm sure it's exactly as you stated and the fix is "forced module reboots".