Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge door not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suddenly stopped working on my 2023MS; will open if I tap the charge port door; haven't tried using the screen control or phone control yet but will check it out today, just to see. I've been so used to opening the charge port (when charging at home) with the wall charger button but this no longer opens the door. I rarely use a supercharger so I don't know if that would be just as futile. 1st world problems, I know but, come on!!
Update: I confirmed that I CAN open the charge port door using the center screen and using my phone app; I haven't tested with a Supercharger or different wall charger yet... will update when I do... Also, I'm using a Gen 2 Wall Charger...

Update: I confirmed that I CAN open the charge port door using the center screen and using my phone app; I haven't tested with a Supercharger or different wall charger yet... will update when I do... Also, I'm using a Gen 2 Wall Charger...
Also, I can open by pressing/tapping the door, and also with my fob... So, that leaves trying a different wall charger wand and a supercharger wand button... fingers crossed I figure this out soon.

Also, I can open by pressing/tapping the door, and also with my fob... So, that leaves trying a different wall charger wand and a supercharger wand button... fingers crossed I figure this out soon.
Update: I tried a different wall charger and it opened the charge door like normal. Went back to my garage wall charger and was pleasantly surprised that it worked again. Not sure what happened, or how it was resolved, but I'm happy.

Update: I tried a different wall charger and it opened the charge door like normal. Went back to my garage wall charger and was pleasantly surprised that it worked again. Not sure what happened, or how it was resolved, but I'm happy.
I have same issue, have you try press and hold the button on wand and charge port open. Plug in and unplug the port will close, then the button did work again.

Reactions: lmmuzquiz
My mobile connector button no longer opens the door. It worked fine since new but with a recent software update something must have changed.

For all the people suggesting other methods of opening the door, that’s not the point. The button on the charging handle worked fine since day 1 and now it doesn’t.

The charger button always works to unlock so I can detach it, so the button obviously works. As a test I wondered what would happen if I unlocked it, let it close. Then pressed it to open the door. It worked.

So somehow after I come home and get out of the car, the vehicle doesn't want to accept any commands from the charger.

The charger button always works to unlock so I can detach it, so the button obviously works.
There are two different mechanisms there. When it is plugged in, the communication wire is tied into the car. It can send the interrupt hard wired, just like it's a J1772 handle with its release button.

But if it's not plugged in, and you are pushing the button to open the door, then that is using the wireless transmitting, and that can be a problem either with the transmitter in the handle, or the receiver in the car.

There are two different mechanisms there. When it is plugged in, the communication wire is tied into the car. It can send the interrupt hard wired, just like it's a J1772 handle with its release button.

But if it's not plugged in, and you are pushing the button to open the door, then that is using the wireless transmitting, and that can be a problem either with the transmitter in the handle, or the receiver in the car.

It seems like the car's receiver isn't always 100%. The handle works fine especially after unplugging, letting the door close, then pushing the handle button to remotely open the door. if the charging handle button is bad, then I'd see issues trying to remove the handle.

2022 X LR and have same problem. After a SW update the button on my Wall Charger will open the port for a few weeks then goes back to not working (all other methods work, have never tried to SC the car yet haven't had to). I filed a ticket to service and they said "known SW issue with the module, after an update it gets rebooted but eventually fails again, wait for SW update to fix". Been about 8 mo now no fix. But every update it works for a short period of time again. Very annoying.

Reactions: Tz00
I started with the charger connected to the car. I press the button to allow me to remove the charger. The door closes by itself. I press the button the charger handle and the door opens. That doesn't work for you?
Same the button on handle does not open the door under any circumstance (At least my wall charger, haven't tried a SC yet but will one day for giggles). All other methods to open the door work on mine.

Such a unreliable and poor implementation of such a simple feature. Leave it to Tesla to F it up. FW issues aside the implementation and interference will never be resolved due to architecture and design, there lies the underlying issue itself. Sooner or later Tesla will just disable it to avoid complaints like they did with the passenger side air vent that whistle when you only had the driver side enabled. Resolved now since you can't ever turn off passenger side.

The Tesla way, like the plaid vibration it's just a feature when you spend $150k+..... Unbelievable

Update. Mobile tech came out and did a same version software reload on my car. That fixed it. Apparently software loaded at the factory is defective even though it's the same version.

After every software update my charge port door starts opening properly via the charger handle button. After a couple of weeks, it will stop again until the next software upgrade. A reboot of the car doesn't "temporarily" fix it.

Reactions: neo1738
After every software update my charge port door starts opening properly via the charger handle button. After a couple of weeks, it will stop again until the next software upgrade. A reboot of the car doesn't "temporarily" fix it.
Same, SC don't work either. Like I said was told the module needs rebooted every now and then which happens only after a SW update. Said "fix" coming but that was about 6 mo ago.