Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port open button not working on HPWC handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I had an electrician install my HPWC today. It's working fine; well, at 60A anyway. I'd love some news from Tesla on when we're going to get a fix so we can charge at 80A, but that's a different issue. My issue is that the button on the handle is not opening my charge port door. It works fine with the UMC. If I open the charge port door from inside the car, charging works AND I can stop charging/disconnect the handle from the charge port by pressing the button on the handle (is there a better name for this? handle?). So the button is at least partially working. I looked in the HPWC installation manual and there doesn't appear to be a "pairing" step required. My understanding is that any Tesla model S charger should be able to open any Model S charge port door as long as the car is unlocked or your keys are nearby. I did have my keys on me, and the car was unlocked.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks-
A

My UMC no longer opens my charge port. For a while now, I've had to unlock the charge port from the screen anyway because if I used the UMC's button, the connector would not lock and the car wouldn't charge.

I'll get Service to look at it when it's in, but I have a workaround for now.

The transmitter in the HPWC's connector may be bad or something wiggled loose. Try holding the handle just over the left edge of the rear liftgate glass (try about 1/3 the way up) and push the button. My UMC had to be replaced because it would only work about 50% of the time it was held up to the glass on the liftgate.

The transmitter in the HPWC's connector may be bad or something wiggled loose. Try holding the handle just over the left edge of the rear liftgate glass (try about 1/3 the way up) and push the button. My UMC had to be replaced because it would only work about 50% of the time it was held up to the glass on the liftgate.

Thanks for the hint. Replacing a UMC is easier than an HPWC :(.

It started working without any changes. Could the transmitter have a small battery that charges while you're charging the car? I had the note that the cable organizer would be shipped in February, so my unit has clearly been in the box awhile.

I had an electrician install my HPWC today. It's working fine; well, at 60A anyway. I'd love some news from Tesla on when we're going to get a fix so we can charge at 80A, but that's a different issue. My issue is that the button on the handle is not opening my charge port door. It works fine with the UMC. If I open the charge port door from inside the car, charging works AND I can stop charging/disconnect the handle from the charge port by pressing the button on the handle (is there a better name for this? handle?). So the button is at least partially working. I looked in the HPWC installation manual and there doesn't appear to be a "pairing" step required. My understanding is that any Tesla model S charger should be able to open any Model S charge port door as long as the car is unlocked or your keys are nearby. I did have my keys on me, and the car was unlocked.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks-
A

Same Problem here.

I was at the SC and they told me the charging door sensor is in the back windshield, not the door itself (which I thought). Now I hold the charger a little higher up and it at least seems to work better. Not sure if it really makes a difference or if I have just had luck for the last few days, but worth a try if you are having trouble.