TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charge port open button not working on HPWC handle

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by andrewket, May 29, 2013.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I had an electrician install my HPWC today. It's working fine; well, at 60A anyway. I'd love some news from Tesla on when we're going to get a fix so we can charge at 80A, but that's a different issue. My issue is that the button on the handle is not opening my charge port door. It works fine with the UMC. If I open the charge port door from inside the car, charging works AND I can stop charging/disconnect the handle from the charge port by pressing the button on the handle (is there a better name for this? handle?). So the button is at least partially working. I looked in the HPWC installation manual and there doesn't appear to be a "pairing" step required. My understanding is that any Tesla model S charger should be able to open any Model S charge port door as long as the car is unlocked or your keys are nearby. I did have my keys on me, and the car was unlocked.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks-
    A

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My UMC no longer opens my charge port. For a while now, I've had to unlock the charge port from the screen anyway because if I used the UMC's button, the connector would not lock and the car wouldn't charge.

I'll get Service to look at it when it's in, but I have a workaround for now.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The transmitter in the HPWC's connector may be bad or something wiggled loose. Try holding the handle just over the left edge of the rear liftgate glass (try about 1/3 the way up) and push the button. My UMC had to be replaced because it would only work about 50% of the time it was held up to the glass on the liftgate.

4. andrewket

Thanks for the hint. Replacing a UMC is easier than an HPWC :(.

5. andrewket

It started working without any changes. Could the transmitter have a small battery that charges while you're charging the car? I had the note that the cable organizer would be shipped in February, so my unit has clearly been in the box awhile.

6. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Same Problem here.

7. andrewket

#7 andrewket, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    Mine started working on its own a few hours later. Try it tomorrow.

8. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

I'm 50/50. Seems like it is pretty sensitive. If I lock/unlock the doors, it sometimes works upon the unlock. Then again, it always works from the inside, so never really a major problem.

9. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

I was at the SC and they told me the charging door sensor is in the back windshield, not the door itself (which I thought). Now I hold the charger a little higher up and it at least seems to work better. Not sure if it really makes a difference or if I have just had luck for the last few days, but worth a try if you are having trouble.