Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate at home keeps resetting to max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed lately that when plugging in at home the charge rate keeps resetting itself to 48A. My installation is capable of that but I usually dial it back to 32A or sometimes lower, and if I set it back again it will stay there until the next unplug-replug cycle (where it resets to 48A again). This didn't happen before and I think it may have started with 2024.14.X.

Anyone else seeing this?

I've noticed lately that when plugging in at home the charge rate keeps resetting itself to 48A. My installation is capable of that but I usually dial it back to 32A or sometimes lower, and if I set it back again it will stay there until the next unplug-replug cycle (where it resets to 48A again). This didn't happen before and I think it may have started with 2024.14.X.

Anyone else seeing this?
If you set it in the car, it should remember the charging limit preference for that particular location.

If you set it in the car, it should remember the charging limit preference for that particular location.
I know, and it should work like that in the app too. I never had a problem with it on either car until just the last two months or so. Tried the reboot and we'll see if it helps.

Oddly, maybe 15-20% of the time it remembers what I set it for and I have no problems. I've tried correlating it to when I plug in the car and what state it's in (awake with charging screen up, asleep, awake but doors closed and nobody inside, and so on) but no luck.

I know, and it should work like that in the app too. I never had a problem with it on either car until just the last two months or so. Tried the reboot and we'll see if it helps.

Oddly, maybe 15-20% of the time it remembers what I set it for and I have no problems. I've tried correlating it to when I plug in the car and what state it's in (awake with charging screen up, asleep, awake but doors closed and nobody inside, and so on) but no luck.

Could be a GPS reception problem. (?)

I've tried correlating it to when I plug in the car and what state it's in (awake with charging screen up, asleep, awake but doors closed and nobody inside, and so on) but no luck.
Well, I thought about mentioning this earlier, but assumed you knew about this, although a lot of new owners don't.

Sometimes people are trying to set the amp level and THEN plug in. That doesn't work and isn't setting or memorizing anything. It is only creating a memorized amp setting at that location if you adjust the amps while it is plugged in.

Reactions: Royal27 and ATPMSD
It is only creating a memorized amp setting at that location if you adjust the amps while it is plugged in.
Once you are plugged in it just sits waiting for go time. No adjust up available.

Once it's underway it self adjusts. Either that or it starts early. I am asleep.

Come back next day and it is showing 32A on the charge screen but has gone back to 16A when I get home again.

It does same for public DC chargers. 16A seems to be a default setting and no learning by GPS at all.

Anyone else seeing this?

Two things,

There is absolutely no need to set it lower. It's actually less efficient and has absolutely NO IMPACT on the batteries.

You can always set it lower in the wall connector. (but see above)

Reactions: Big Earl
Would I not get a fault code along with that?

I does actually charge at 32A, or else it starts early, but it shows 32A after it is done.

Not an "in your face" one. At least I didn't. The only indication was reduced charging. And 16A or 32A max suggests the issue. Depending on the vehicle, it will have 1, 2, or 3 16A inverters that are used when AC charging.

16A suggest that you may have 1 of 2 or 2 of 3 not working.

Reactions: Rocky_H
There is absolutely no need to set it lower. It's actually less efficient and has absolutely NO IMPACT on the batteries.
The efficiency impact is minimal; I just don't see the need to run it maxed out all the time and heat up the connection points in the charger and breaker etc. unnecessarily. Keeping amps "in reserve" also gives me margin in case I need a bit more charge at the last minute or need to leave earlier.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not an "in your face" one. At least I didn't. The only indication was reduced charging. And 16A or 32A max suggests the issue. Depending on the vehicle, it will have 1, 2, or 3 16A inverters that are used when AC charging.

16A suggest that you may have 1 of 2 or 2 of 3 not working.
It's 48A max in NZ for A/C charging. I have 32A available from my wiring with the charger aka wall unit set to deliver 32A.

If I had got 3 phase hooked up I could have had 48A.

It seems to get 32 ok.

Still think my car may be broken?

The efficiency impact is minimal; I just don't see the need to run it maxed out all the time and heat up the connection points in the charger and breaker etc. unnecessarily. Keeping amps "in reserve" also gives me margin in case I need a bit more charge at the last minute or need to leave earlier.

I understand where you are coming from. Why not limit it to 15A charging?

The National Electric Code (NEC) is the holder of the rules. They go through great pain to make sure that all solutions are safe and sustainable. They are the reason for 80% degradation on sustain loads (EVs). They have certified that when the right wire size and plugs and sockets and breakers are all used together, they will safely sustain the rated load. In reality, that means that it can actually handle significantly more.

There are those that suggest that the efficiency isn't minimal. I'm in the middle. The longer charging times does mean that the vehicle has to stay awake longer and that the batteries are warmer, longer. But with Tesla's temperature control, this really isn't even a big issue.

Think twice about what you said about "keeping it in reserve" It actually means that the vehicle may not be fully charged when you need it, whereas if you had used max current all along, it would have.

It's 48A max in NZ for A/C charging. I have 32A available from my wiring with the charger aka wall unit set to deliver 32A.

If I had got 3 phase hooked up I could have had 48A.

It seems to get 32 ok.

Still think my car may be broken?
You are making me think way too much on this one, now that I realize you are an Aussie.
I think that the first question is how many inverters do you have? And that may indeed be different from the US version of your vehicle.
If your car was made to support 3-phase, i.e. uses CCS-2 (and not CCS-1) then I believe that it should have 3 inverters, one for each phase.
You may want to check it out on the Australian forums, where someone may better know the answer. I know enough to be really dangerous.

Think twice about what you said about "keeping it in reserve" It actually means that the vehicle may not be fully charged when you need it, whereas if you had used max current all along, it would have.
You're assuming I use scheduled charging. But it would not, because I'm using off-peak and scheduled departure. The car starts charging whenever it decides it needs to in order to finish charging at the specified time, and I generally aim for that to be the time I'm leaving. Whether it's at 32A or 48A, it's still going to finish charging (typically to 55% most days) at the same time, because the start time was automatically changed to get the desired end result.

But let's say I realize I need to leave a little earlier, or that I need a few more percent for the day If it's already maxed out, there's nothing I can do to speed it up (get to the same charge level sooner) or get more juice in the same amount of time. At a base setting of 32A, I can crank it up and get more juice or finish a little faster. It may not be by much, but it can and has helped bail me out when I forgot to set things up right the night before, or plans changed at the last minute.

They have certified that when the right wire size and plugs and sockets and breakers are all used together, they will safely sustain the rated load. In reality, that means that it can actually handle significantly more.
I tend to have excellent luck with machinery and equipment in general (mechanical sympathy has benefited me well, personally and professionally), and part of that I think comes from babying things a little--or at least, not my driving stuff hard unnecessarily. It's like not flooring it in an ICE vehicle all the time, or not hitting the brakes hard every stop, or not cranking the g's on hard every time I turn in an airplane. A really extreme example is gas turbine engines; when you get to high power levels, even a relatively small reduction or increase in max temperature (and this thrust) can result in significantly longer or shorter service life. Electronics can apparently be the same way. In this case dropping the amps on my charger when I don't need it maxed out drops the heat in the wires and connections by about half, and it's already warm enough here. It's sort of the same reason I don't just charge to 80% all the time; I can, but I don't need to, and by not doing so I'm going easy on my stuff and helping it last longer.

But back to my original point, I think I have anthe answer... I have my wall connector scheduled to cut out between 1400 and 1900 (our on peak hours). If I plug in during that time, it doesn't get the test current pulse and therefore I think it defaults to the known max charge rate. Plugging in outside the time limit, it works normally and recalls the last setting used.

What I have not tested yet is whether the 48A setting actually sticks, or if it reduces when charging is actually supposed to start. But this is my best working theory at this point.

Reactions: flixden