Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone curious about modifying your order and incentive eligibility:

I placed initial order in mid June. Called Tesla Springfield yesterday and asked them to modify the wheels on my order. Today I just got confirmation of the order modification, which changed my order agreement order date to 7/7, so now I should eligible for the incentive.
Was there any price change (i.e. price increase Tesla is doing every two weeks) other than wheels?

When I ordered last year I asked for clarification when it comes to tesla, as I had ordered the car before the program ran out of money, but took delivery after. Here is their response:
A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the 'accepted by customer' date or the 'order date' of the vehicle will be considered the date of purchase or lease.
Since the program is now funded again, I'm just waiting for them to mail the check. I don't know if the new program is different since it's a POS transaction now.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
For anyone curious about modifying your order and incentive eligibility:

I placed initial order in mid June. Called Tesla Springfield yesterday and asked them to modify the wheels on my order. Today I just got confirmation of the order modification, which changed my order agreement order date to 7/7, so now I should eligible for the incentive.
It has been said that when you do that, the price of the car becomes the newest (higher) price. Were you able to keep your lower price (if yours was below the $52,990)?

If someone wanted to order the car with FSD, it would probably make sense to not add it to the initial order, get the 5k/2k back when you get the car and then buy the 10k upgrade after delivery. I'm not sure if that's allowed or not but definitely don't order FSD, if you plan to, as part of your initial order if you can just add it on later AND get the 5k/2k incentive.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
If someone wanted to order the car with FSD, it would probably make sense to not add it to the initial order, get the 5k/2k back when you get the car and then buy the 10k upgrade after delivery. I'm not sure if that's allowed or not but definitely don't order FSD, if you plan to, as part of your initial order if you can just add it on later AND get the 5k/2k incentive.
That's exactly how you would do it. But just to let you know you don't actually get a check. They're going to deduct it from the price. You can deduct the 5k/2k from your downpayment so you can use it for the FSD. Remember FSD is paid in full if you don't purchase it with the car. So deducting what you would have put down would go into the FSD cost (if you don't have the money)

Just wondering... If you include it as part of the car, you don't have to pay taxes on that $10,000 option (NJ doesn't charge taxes on EV sales). Do you have to pay taxes if you buy as an option after you take delivery of the car?

If the federal proposal reviving EV tax breaks for Tesla return, do you think that vehicles purchased in 2021 would qualify? Or would there be the same "Order Date" scenario as it applies to NJ's Phase 2. I know the Dems' proposal is still a big unknown but they are pushing it pretty hard.

If the federal proposal reviving EV tax breaks for Tesla return, do you think that vehicles purchased in 2021 would qualify? Or would there be the same "Order Date" scenario as it applies to NJ's Phase 2. I know the Dems' proposal is still a big unknown but they are pushing it pretty hard.
I’m wondering this as well. If I order today and the delivery date is 9 weeks out, I’m hoping that between now and then there will be a definitive answer. I would think that within the next 9 weeks we’ll know if and what is going to pass, or not pass. Worst case scenario I guess we’d just have to cancel the preorder and reorder it if it’s based on order date?

I’m wondering this as well. If I order today and the delivery date is 9 weeks out, I’m hoping that between now and then there will be a definitive answer. I would think that within the next 9 weeks we’ll know if and what is going to pass, or not pass. Worst case scenario I guess we’d just have to cancel the preorder and reorder it if it’s based on order date?
I said that 2 months ago also
“Surely by the time the NJ incentive is here we’ll know something about the federal incentive”
Nope

this is my concern too. ive been waiting on these two rebates/incentives to pull the trigger. sad to see the LR M3 only gets 2k instead of 5....but im ready to pull the trigger but afraid of missing out on that 10k federal incentive.
My thoughts lean that it's a tax rebate you would claim on 2021 taxes, so delivery date should be irrelevant as long as it's in the tax year. The bill/plan would just need to pass in 2021....which with this congress...who knows! But I also dont want to wait anymore :(

From what I understand the bill, I thought the $7,500 tax credit is retroactive to purchases after May 24, 2021

From what I understand the bill, I thought the $7,500 tax credit is retroactive to purchases after May 24, 2021

Yeah I think the best position you can end up in is buying it in 2021 before they sign that, then being able to apply it retroactively. If they do so in time, that is.

I say this because it’s pretty easy to imagine that if Tesla gets a confirmed tax credit across the board again, you can expect to see prices rise as well. Probably not the full $7500, but they’ll want a chunk.

25% gone in 2 days? at this pace, there will be no money left for those with deliveries 8 weeks out. It's like they are incentivizing a purchase off the car lot vs ordering (Tesla)

A portion of the FY22 budget is being used to payout the remainder of eligible owners who bought during Phase 1, but never received a check since they ran out of FY21 funds. I wouldn't be alarmed, it's highly doubtful that the 7M is representative of any Phase 2 purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiagia