Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My management office likely only allows me to install a 13A socket, but I understand Tesla doesn't recommend using 13A as primary charging option....does anyone mainly using 13A charging now? what's the downside?

(for me, using 13A charging overnight would be adequate to fill up my daily mileage)

thanks!

Hi Philip,
My car hasn't arrived yet but my charging solution will be somewhat similar to yours.
Recently Tesla has included some FAQs documents in our dashboard and it mentioned one of the reason why they don't suggest 13A charging is the reliability of the plug. With repeated plug on and off the quality of the connection may deteriorate and causing short circuit or fire. I am dealing with the management office to allow me to install the stock wall connector rather than just a BS1363 socket. This may solve the above mentioned problem.

They are letting me use the 13A without charges for now as they said the cost is minimal... and hope eventually it can be upgraded.

Just concern will it caught fire using 13A then i will be on news :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Philip,
My car hasn't arrived yet but my charging solution will be somewhat similar to yours.
Recently Tesla has included some FAQs documents in our dashboard and it mentioned one of the reason why they don't suggest 13A charging is the reliability of the plug. With repeated plug on and off the quality of the connection may deteriorate and causing short circuit or fire. I am dealing with the management office to allow me to install the stock wall connector rather than just a BS1363 socket. This may solve the above mentioned problem.

sigh..... how can it be so difficult in HK

Moderator's Note: Tidied up repeat text in this message.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tossed a coin.... and I'll take the "offer" ***sigh*** :frown:

After a 2-year fight it is difficult to give up anyway :cursing:

Having said that, I've written to the management office, saying I'm not happy but understand they need to recover additional admin cost somehow, due to the fact that I'm the only EV owner in the estate. Such a high fee would discourage people switching to EV, so they must review the fee when more users coming in.

I'll definitely bring that up in the next Owner's Committee!

Aon covered the charging facility in my carpark. I live in one of the buildings in Jardine's Lookout and my management was quite supportive of me getting a Tesla. We are in the process of upgrading our network for the entire building so that it can handle multiple EV's in the building. EV Power are the ones doing the work for us. They will get the work done but their response time needs to be improved. Initially, I was just going to run a cable from my apartment but the building said no, as that doesn't allow others to get an EV so they decided to upgrade the building. It's unfortunate that others in different buildings are having difficulties. I've already got my charger installed and my tesla arrived last week so all set. Happy to give more exact details through PM. As an aside, while I'm the only one in the building with a Tesla, a number residents have come up to me and asked about it. EV revolution...

@ekwng: Could you post or PM me the contact in Convoy. Thanks.

@AppleFan: Liberty is not offering such kind of insurance.

You make inquiry through their customer services email [email protected] (or ask your broker for Zurich to quote)

To make things easier, just provide them more info:

- Risk Address? Car park Space xxx, [property address]
- Is the premises an individual house or village? Multi-story estate. Indoor / Outdoor Car park.
- Home size in sq. ft.? Car park Space
- Age of building? xx years
- Self-occupied, Rental or Tenant?
- Any renovation work finished over the past 5 years? If so, please specify the details.
- Any claims in the past 5 years?

Special Note: [Below was what I wrote, please change to your situation]
An Electric Vehicle charging connector will be installed at the parking space. It is an original power connector to supply electricity to the on-board car charger. The battery and charger are all on-board therefore insured by the car comprehensive insurance, however the power connector is to be installed at parking space. The Estate Management requested for an additional annual 3rd party liabilities insurance to cover the connector and wiring in case of fire, with the sum insured of HK$10,000,000.

The connector will be installed by a licensed electrician Company, EV Power, who also installed and managing hundreds of chargers/connectors in Government Car parks in Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Hi All,

New to the forum and thought I would share my experience with EV Charging in a private estate.

We put in our order for MS late 2013 and are due to get it Oct 2014. We live in a private estate in Tai Wai and own our car parking space (covered). We initially contacted HKEV Power to survey and propose a charging solution which they promptly did for our personal parking space. After lengthy discussions with our management office (who were very willing to help us) we discovered that the supply station closest to our parking space was 'unavailable' for third party usage and to use the supply station we would need to install our own branch into the supply station (which would be prohibitively expensive given the insurance implications for shutting the supply station for the electrical works). As we were insistent on having access to an EV Charger 'in house' we searched for available 'plugs' in the car park and negotiated with the management office to lease us a space adjacent to available electrical supply. We then had HKEV power survey our new space and we installed (at our expense) a 32A charger for our personal use in our leased space. Though it ended up working out (our plan was to keep two cars) it ended up being non-optimal as we could not effectively use our personal space. We found that the biggest issue (in our development) was actually tapping the electrical supply station rather than getting the owner's association go ahead.

Giving the overall costs for installing a charger we would suggest first checking with your development if they have a contractor who can do the electrical work (specially if you only want to install the Tesla Charger though you are likely to be limited to 13A). If that doesn't work then I would advise HK EV Power. We did contact CLP (they were super expensive) and our own private electricity contractor but in the end the only real options are in house contractor or HK EV Power.

Hi All,

New to the forum and thought I would share my experience with EV Charging in a private estate.

We put in our order for MS late 2013 and are due to get it Oct 2014. We live in a private estate in Tai Wai and own our car parking space (covered). We initially contacted HKEV Power to survey and propose a charging solution which they promptly did for our personal parking space. After lengthy discussions with our management office (who were very willing to help us) we discovered that the supply station closest to our parking space was 'unavailable' for third party usage and to use the supply station we would need to install our own branch into the supply station (which would be prohibitively expensive given the insurance implications for shutting the supply station for the electrical works). As we were insistent on having access to an EV Charger 'in house' we searched for available 'plugs' in the car park and negotiated with the management office to lease us a space adjacent to available electrical supply. We then had HKEV power survey our new space and we installed (at our expense) a 32A charger for our personal use in our leased space. Though it ended up working out (our plan was to keep two cars) it ended up being non-optimal as we could not effectively use our personal space. We found that the biggest issue (in our development) was actually tapping the electrical supply station rather than getting the owner's association go ahead.

Giving the overall costs for installing a charger we would suggest first checking with your development if they have a contractor who can do the electrical work (specially if you only want to install the Tesla Charger though you are likely to be limited to 13A). If that doesn't work then I would advise HK EV Power. We did contact CLP (they were super expensive) and our own private electricity contractor but in the end the only real options are in house contractor or HK EV Power.

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Do you have a separate meter or you pay a monthly fee to management office? Just curious..

No separate meter, in our case the EV charger (from HK EV Power) we installed 'meters' our monthly usage which is then downloaded and a service invoice is prepared. Though we would have preferred our own meter (ultimately the electricity is cheaper this way --- though as we know electricity is too cheap in Hong Kong to begin with) the service contract solution ended up being the most economic one to implement.

No separate meter, in our case the EV charger (from HK EV Power) we installed 'meters' our monthly usage which is then downloaded and a service invoice is prepared. Though we would have preferred our own meter (ultimately the electricity is cheaper this way --- though as we know electricity is too cheap in Hong Kong to begin with) the service contract solution ended up being the most economic one to implement.

Do you mind sharing with the group what was the total cost of the overall installation? Thanks.

Do you mind sharing with the group what was the total cost of the overall installation? Thanks.

In our case the installation cost was HKD 6,300.00 which covered everything except the EV Charger. We ended up getting an EV Charger from HKEV Power (they have them manufactured - EVC 32N) which is on the expensive side (HKD 23,000) as they are really for shared usage rather individual usage (they work on a key card method) and they seem a bit more robust than some of the home charging stations you can pick up online. Additionally we needed a 'metering' function to implement the service contract. We did consider trying to just use the Tesla Charger that comes with the car but worried it wouldn't satisfy our requirements. I suspect that if you have access to a single phase 13A plug by your car space you could get a certified electrician to just install the Tesla Charger at much lower cost but it would assume you own the line.