Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unplug UMC from car and switch off at power point. Switch back on and plug back in, set charge limit to 1% higher again - again waiting for a while after charging completes.
I tried this method throughout yesterday and still no luck unfortunately.

Wifi connected?
Yep, I have one of my mesh units in the garage so it's a strong signal and full speed in there and haven't had any connection issues.

The instructions I received from Tesla for updating the UMC firmware is:
Sounds like everything meets those steps but still no update to the UMC.
The first couple of days I tried, I was running 2023.12.5 and yesterday I got the 2023.20.4.1 update finally and left the UMC plugged in overnight at 100% but it's still only showing 8A.

Might have to tell my friend to contact Tesla since we both can't get it to update. I guess I'm lucky my own unit updated fine straight away when I got my car.

Thanks for the responses everyone, appreciate the tips you've all chipped in with!

Hi all I haven't picked up our MYLR yet but I noticed our Tesla Gen 3 wall charger was flashing red this morning. I have an isolating switch and because I don't have the car I've been leaving it off. Last night though I turned it on and after fluttering around it went solid green. I left it on overnight (obviously not charging) and this morning it is flashing red. Is that a problem I should attend to or is that normal? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Do you think it necessary to buy the $550 Tesla charging kit on top of the 3 phase Gen 3 wall charger?

Flashing red is a fault. The number of flashes tells you what fault - the codes are on page 34 of the Wall Connector manual.
Thanks Cafz, I referred as suggested to the charger manual and it's strange because the top green light is pulsing suggesting it's waiting for commissioning (whatever that means?). I did what the manual said and check on my iphone and it tells me there is no internet connection. Well there is internet connection on my modem and router and wi-fi signal in the garage is strong. Could it just be that I don't have the car yet?

Thanks Cafz, I referred as suggested to the charger manual and it's strange because the top green light is pulsing suggesting it's waiting for commissioning (whatever that means?). I did what the manual said and check on my iphone and it tells me there is no internet connection. Well there is internet connection on my modem and router and wi-fi signal in the garage is strong. Could it just be that I don't have the car yet?
The commissioning process requires connecting to the WiFi network that the wall charger broadcasts. Your phone will say that network doesn't have an internet connection, because it doesn't - it just lets you talk to the wall charger itself.

As the manual says, it'll only broadcast that special network for the first 15 minutes after turning it on, so you'll need to turn it off and back on again to start the commissioning process.

The commissioning process requires connecting to the WiFi network that the wall charger broadcasts. Your phone will say that network doesn't have an internet connection, because it doesn't - it just lets you talk to the wall charger itself.

As the manual says, it'll only broadcast that special network for the first 15 minutes after turning it on, so you'll need to turn it off and back on again to start the commissioning process.
You're a champion, thanks again. :)

The
Can someone help advise the difference between the 22kw type 2 to type 2 charger from Tesla vs the one from EVSE other than the cable length and price please?

https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/mennekes-type-2-adapter---7_5m?sku=1039810-00-A
The cables are the same and are rated at 22KW or 32A (7.3Kw) per phase.
The Tesla site points out that the Model 3 / Y will only charge at 11Kw or 16A (3.6Kw) per phase as that is the maximum the cars on-board charger supports.
Also, importantly, some companies sell single phase versions of the Type 2 to Type 2 cable which you should avoid as they will only connect one phase and your car will only charge at 3.6Kw with one of these.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
After you put in the password for the TeslaWallconnector SSID
And selected the wall connector wifi - yes it will say no internet connection.

But Did you do the next step which is type into your iphoneweb browser the web address of the Wall connector - "192.168......"?
And follow the menu options?....

yesterday I got the 2023.20.4.1 update
I have tried all the suggested methodologies for getting this update to work, but still no action. I'm wondering if the latest software update has broken the UMC update process. I get all the clangs, whirrs and bangs which are meant to precede the flashing single "T" on the unit, but it just does not happen.

Yes, the car is locked, and yes, the tails show "10 10A" and "15 15A" on the tails' power plugs.

Hopefully not too OT. I have several gen 2 Wall Chargers. Has anyone had success using them to charge non Tesla EVs?
Looking to get a cough cough don't laugh (Swedish car) o_O later in the year. I am aware of the dip switches in the v2 HSWC. Also that in the early revs 00, 01 & 03 the legacy mode setting for not Teslas does nothing. I was wondering if any of the others manufacturers have made their cars somewhat more compatible with the Tesla system. In short - will my HSWC charge a Volvo or can it be rejigged to do so?

Last edited:
Sounds promising. I have three HSWC's so a bit of an investment there, that I would like to retain. The Volvo is envisaged to be a tweener while I await the big Tesla rig for the farm if it ever materialises. Will do an inventory and check the switch settings inside my Gen 2 wall connectors. Thnx.

Hopefully not too OT. I have several gen 2 Wall Chargers. Has anyone had success using them to charge non Tesla EVs?
Looking to get a cough cough don't laugh (Swedish car) o_O later in the year. I am aware of the dip switches in the v2 HSWC. Also that in the early revs 00, 01 & 03 the legacy mode setting for not Teslas does nothing. I was wondering if any of the others manufacturers have made their cars somewhat more compatible with the Tesla system. In short - will my HSWC charge a Volvo or can it be rejigged to do so?
I’m on holiday in Byron Bay and the hotel has 2 V2 Tesla chargers, one broken 🤬, but the working charger has been in use by a Polstar 2 a number of times during my stay.

Reactions: JonDarian