Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
adapters for the Fronius
You might want to double check about adapters as to whether they are available in Australia. I haven't looked at it in detail. I just know that adapters are available - maybe not in AUS due to pin configuration. Last I saw they were EU style...

You would have to be careful doing a custom 10A adapter to 32A plug. Im not an electrician but I would suspect they may not want to touch that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Midnight Man
FYI, “Mennekes” is a company name, IMHO people should just refer to the plug by its SAE name, “Type 2” 😄
True. I just usually find it easier and less confusing to say "Mennekes cable" instead of "type 2 to type 2 cable". I think people also get lost in the assortment of numbered generations. I mean, I could have a Powerwall 2 passing power through a Gateway 1 to a Gen 3 wall connector, which is connected to the car via its type 2 socket.

There are many brand names that have made it into colloquial language. Esky, bandaid, aspirin, escalator, laundromat, trampoline, allen key, velcro, bubble wrap. Even dry ice was a trademark.

Well, yes, but Mennekes (the company) makes a huge range of different electrical and industrial products, so “Mennekes plug” is a completely ambiguous term. Biro only ever made biros.

Many thanks to everyone who was able to clarify my confusion on charging ports - the confusion came because of the "image" of the plug type in PlugShare - exactly as @JonDarian had noted!

I'll go fix up my PlugShare settings now :)

Also - in reading the replies and many other comments around the forums, it sounds like I should organise a UMC charger, and Mennekes Type 2 cable to carry around at all times?

I'm planning on installing a Fronius WattPilot (J22 Go) at home, as I am fully into the Fronius ecosystem for Solar, and have 3 phase. I believe the J22 Go woll give me the best AC charging speed (11kW) at home, and I could take the whole kit with me for long trips, enabling us to use a 3 phase outlet, as well as anything else supported by a CCS (Type 2) port, or 10A, 15A wall plug etc.

Have I missed anything in my research and understanding please?
There's definitely other UMC options too:

Hi guys, just got my model y rwd. Plugged it into, using UMC 10a tail, an outlet in my garage. Long story short it wont work. UMC 'tesla' lighting goes Red as does charge port. Get an error on my car screen saying 'inadequate outlet grounding'. Sounds like the garage wiring may not be grounded or perhaps its a generic error.. unsure. Was wondering if anyone has observed this before?

Hi guys, just got my model y rwd. Plugged it into, using UMC 10a tail, an outlet in my garage. Long story short it wont work. UMC 'tesla' lighting goes Red as does charge port. Get an error on my car screen saying 'inadequate outlet grounding'. Sounds like the garage wiring may not be grounded or perhaps its a generic error.. unsure. Was wondering if anyone has observed this before?
Try a different outlet, even if you have to use an extension cord temporarily. Or a different location .

Get an error on my car screen saying 'inadequate outlet grounding'. Sounds like the garage wiring may not be grounded or perhaps its a generic error.. unsure. Was wondering if anyone has observed this before?
It's not a generic error. There's a bunch of specific fault conditions it checks for - that's one of them.

You will want to get a electrician to check it out.

Yes, but this feature was only released last weekend, so you will need to wait for both your car and your powerwall to have the latest firmware update.

It's part of Tesla firmware update 2023.26

Has anyone in Australia actually received the firmware updates and been able to use Charge on Solar yet? My car has the right update, but my Powerwall is languishing on v23.12.2 instead of the necessary v23.12.10. I asked about it while I was chasing Tesla about fixing the ability to update UMC firmware, and they told me that there was no timeline for introducing Charge on Solar in Australia. That said, they also told me the same thing about the UMC firmware, and it turned out the firmware update had already started rolling out, so I have no idea what to believe.

I've just ordered a MY, but this question about solar charging is making me confused about which unit to buy. I have 20kW of solar on the roof, a three-phase inverter, and a PW2. I don't think I'd _ever_ want to charge the car from the battery (only from solar most of the year, or from grid in winter), so now I'm confused whether the Tesla Wall Connector is the right choice, or whether I want a third-party OCPP compatible one, at much higher price. I have some home-automation, ct-clamps etc, but would be nice not to _need_ that working in order to prevent charging from the battery. TDLR I'm waiting for "Charge on Solar" too!

Reactions: dronus
I've just ordered a MY, but this question about solar charging is making me confused about which unit to buy.
Sometimes the answer here can depend on what ecosystem your solar is part of - e.g. Fronius have a WattPilot EV charger that can handle 22kW on 3 phase (11kW for Tesla). It integrates with your Fronius Smart Meter to ensure you charge only on solar.

See here: