Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without a Fronius inverter, it seems we would be required to use an app/automation anyway - so it seems no better than a tesla wall charger, which is supposed to get "solar charging" here in AU (when combined with a powerwall) "soon" (for some time).
For the WattPilot, you're spot on, if you're not in a Fronius ecosystem.

However, Goodwe is a pretty popular make of inverter, have you looked to see if they have something that will do the same as the WattPilot? (i.e., the Goodwe version of an EV Charger)?

You're right, Goodwe has a 3 phase charger.
However its smart/solar charging is via Goodwe cloud (SEMS) which feels gross, compared to local control and/or ct-clamps.

Why dont they sell this in the Tesla Australian shop, only the Irish one??

I need a 1-phase adapter but they go for around $200 here and are aftermarket, id much prefer a Tesla branded plug if poss..

Attachments

• 333.JPG
    333.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 50
Everyone ive found are super overpriced and i just dont get why Tesla dont make one

You can always chance your arm with AliExpress. I’ve purchased a number of electrical products from AliExpress, including two AC charging adaptors and had no issues with them. Cheap and fast delivery. I do scrutinise the reviews though, carefully examine the photos, and buy from sellers with 99%+ ratings.

Most stuff is made in China anyway, so I don’t think AliExpress inherently means “dodgy”. But as always, caveat emptor.

Reactions: dronus
Not Tesla branded but for $236.92, it comes with a choice of tails.
I'd recommend the 32A 5pin 3phase tail for charging in the bush.
As long as you realise that this will still only charge your car at 32A single phase and that many outback sites will not be happy with you dumping 32A on just one phase of their already-stressed generator. This is why I never really use my UMC, preferring an aftermarket 3-phase instead.

Work has built an improved carpark with industrial IP66 10A sockets
The carpark is partially outdoors.

Evchargers.com.au sell this for $295 3m tail
Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 8.30.16 pm.png

Are there other reputable ones out there before I drop $295 for this
While the IP66 plug is not a necessity if I get the indoor parking spot which is closer to the 10A socket, it could come in handy if I need to park outside requiring an extension cord (can get an IP66 extension cord like this):

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 8.35.12 pm.png

I know the Gen2 UMC is IP55.
Are there other solutions out there to keep the rain out?

Work has built an improved carpark with industrial IP66 10A sockets
The carpark is partially outdoors.

Evchargers.com.au sell this for $295 3m tail
View attachment 991963

Are there other reputable ones out there before I drop $295 for this
While the IP66 plug is not a necessity if I get the indoor parking spot which is closer to the 10A socket, it could come in handy if I need to park outside requiring an extension cord (can get an IP66 extension cord like this):

View attachment 991962

I know the Gen2 UMC is IP55.
Are there other solutions out there to keep the rain out?
Interesting situation, interested to hear how you go.
There is always witches hats, no one argues with witches hats left in car parks haha

Not required. No pedestrian access is affected.
Nah it was a bit of humor, i tried it once, there is a couple of nice shadey car parks at work that you normally have to get there earlier and earlier for.
I dropped a witches hat there and no one parked there (either did i) but it was an interesting experiment that no one moved it!

Reactions: Quickst