Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest Costco in the South Bay has 6 or 8 dual pedestals aft of their food court.

There can be a bit of a delay getting to them as often cars spill out into the road/traffic lanes from their gas station that located between the main entrance and the building.

I’ve seen Teslas park in the EV charging spaces but rarely are they connected to a charger. Might be good form to at least fake it *polite cough* as the spaces will get popular at some point.

As well, at some point it would be nice and spur adoption if Costco also added fast charging pedestals (CCS & Chademo for the time being). A half charge from a Chademo would be just about the right duration for a typical Costco visit.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, at least for those owners that have home charging.
I have also seen Tesla owners treat spots reserved for charging as their private parking. Very unfortunate.

Common for the Whole Foods around here. Sad. Very sad.

They should charge fair electric prices and tow if not charging. Then it would be used by those actually in need.

I don’t use any j1772 in my home city, but when traveling every bit helps.

Reactions: SageBrush
Common for the Whole Foods around here. Sad. Very sad.

They should charge fair electric prices and tow if not charging. Then it would be used by those actually in need.

I don’t use any j1772 in my home city, but when traveling every bit helps.
Agreed. Same happens at the WF around here.

For the OP, I find this interesting... does your time in a Costco buy you much?

Many commercial L2 sites are 208V at 30A. That's something like 18mph of charge... so less than 30 miles even if you spend an hour and a half in there.

For the town I live in, I never use an L2, even though it's often an available/premium parking spot. I don't need it, and there are cars with lesser range that might.

Those supermarket charging stations were originally used to add juice to small EVs with small batteries. They could top off while shopping to give them enough to do other errands or make it home.

Were never intended to just give free juice to people with large batteries..

• Love
Reactions: wwu123