Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from standard mains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, I am waiting for my home charger installed which might be done in 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I was thinking of getting a 32a commando socket installed. These people are selling some adapters and extensions for charging teslas, have anyone used them? Compact 32A Blue adaptor pair - Xavelec

Not sure what you want to use those adaptors for.

To charge the Tesla using the UMC at 32 A just needs a 32 A commando outlet, plus the optional 32 A Tesla UMC adapter lead (about £40 delivered, I think). The wiring for a 32 A commando to run a charger will be identical to the wiring to run a charge point, same cable, same level of circuit protection, etc, so if you can get a 32 A commando fitted more quickly then it "should" reduce the cost of fitting a charge point in its place later, as most of the work will already have been done (swapping a charge point for a 32 A commando is maybe an hours work at the most, including all the testing).

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
Hi Guys, I am waiting for my home charger installed which might be done in 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I was thinking of getting a 32a commando socket installed. These people are selling some adapters and extensions for charging teslas, have anyone used them? Compact 32A Blue adaptor pair - Xavelec

Those are for either end of an extension lead I think, so you still need the 32a tesla plug for the UMC

the one at the bottom of this
tesla_uk_connectors_umc.png

Reactions: evsingh

Those appear to be specifically designed for use with their own extension lead. By the time you add everything up it's going to be quite expensive! Is there a reason you would need that particular kind of extension? You just need the Tesla 32A adapter for £32 or £40 delivered. It attaches to your supplied Tesla UMC. (If you still need a further extension because of distance then a dedicated 32 to 32 lead is not particularly expensive... but it may not be needed as the supplied cable is quite long ... several metres.)

I only use a 13amp plug at 10 amps and I'm seeing an average of 9 miles per hour charging. Car is outside and I have not seen any difference with the recent lower temperatures. Is my experience unusual? Obviously whilst using heater etc each 9 miles charged probably only results in 7 miles real range when out driving.
10 amps is only about 2kw. the car is capable of accepting up to 250kw on an LR/P or 170 on an SR+. 2 is so low that the car will be able to accept it irrespective of temperature. So no it's not unusual.but as you say those 9 miles will not actually translate into 9 actual miles on a short journey at this time of year.

Those are for either end of an extension lead I think, so you still need the 32a tesla plug for the UMC

the one at the bottom of this
tesla_uk_connectors_umc.png

Even 16a additional adapter was missing from the car so I have only standard adapter which is very slow to charge the car. Just spoke to them and they suggested sending an email to [email protected] regarding the missing parts. Hoping to hear from them.

I'll have been 5 weeks without a 7kw charger at home - and I've not had any problems on a 3pin 2kw plug. Yes, it's slow - but I've not regularly needed to do huge miles, so it's only to top up.

Bought a tough leads extension lead (with RCD) and basically temporarily fitted the outdoor 3pin socket where the home charger will end up. So I'm not having to open and close my garage every time etc.

I strongly suspect I'll miss the TESLA button to unlock the charging port when my EO-Pro-Mini is installed (tethered) though!

I'll have been 5 weeks without a 7kw charger at home - and I've not had any problems on a 3pin 2kw plug. Yes, it's slow - but I've not regularly needed to do huge miles, so it's only to top up.

Bought a tough leads extension lead (with RCD) and basically temporarily fitted the outdoor 3pin socket where the home charger will end up. So I'm not having to open and close my garage every time etc.

I strongly suspect I'll miss the TESLA button to unlock the charging port when my EO-Pro-Mini is installed (tethered) though!
I have been using the three pin adapter with the umc and it charges around 20-22% over the night.

UMC

Currently 10A - 65% - 90% charge. Started 17:08 - estimated completion 01:46. 8.5mph ideal.

Previously
51-90%, 17:55 - 07:17 (13h22) 93% efficiency.
43-85%, 22:02 - 12:28 (14h26) 92.6% efficiency.

Getting the car on by early evening, UMC very worthwhile to get 100 odd mile usable range overnight.

But looking forward to 7kW upgrade, more for ease of use though from not having to muck around with extension cables and UMC.

Reactions: evsingh
I refused to take our Nissan Leaf until the free install of the 30 A charger had been installed.

Now I just swap between cars to charge. We run 3 EVs now. I bought a quality 10 Metre type 2 lead. Coming upto 2 years now and its used every night and sometimes during the day

5F0695E3-2646-4888-8E00-CC90206EB86D.jpeg As I have an Andersen charger at home I’ve not had to do any charging from a standard mains socket until this week as we are at relatives in rural France for the Xmas period. I bought a 15m extension cable with inline RCD and a couple of adaptors for French sockets (1 standard, 1 reverse polarity) as I wasn’t sure what I’d discover in terms of electricity supply at the French farmhouse. I also bought a socket tester with me. Good job I did! The first few had no earth so I avoided them but I eventually found a socket in the barn that worked fine using the reverse polarity adaptor. Charged from 62% to 90% overnight and most of the morning. Which is great as it means I don’t have to race up to the supercharger at Caen before getting the ferry home at the weekend.

I have to recommend the quality of advice, product and service from Tough Leads, which is where I sourced the cables and adaptors. Excellent. Here’s a link if interested:
Tough Leads

Reactions: Artiste
View attachment 493301 As I have an Andersen charger at home I’ve not had to do any charging from a standard mains socket until this week as we are at relatives in rural France for the Xmas period. I bought a 15m extension cable with inline RCD and a couple of adaptors for French sockets (1 standard, 1 reverse polarity) as I wasn’t sure what I’d discover in terms of electricity supply at the French farmhouse. I also bought a socket tester with me. Good job I did! The first few had no earth so I avoided them but I eventually found a socket in the barn that worked fine using the reverse polarity adaptor. Charged from 62% to 90% overnight and most of the morning. Which is great as it means I don’t have to race up to the supercharger at Caen before getting the ferry home at the weekend.

I have to recommend the quality of advice, product and service from Tough Leads, which is where I sourced the cables and adaptors. Excellent. Here’s a link if interested:
Tough Leads

Similar experience for me. I bought a 20m lead from Industrial Extension Leads to use when I stay at an isolated farmhouse in Snowdonia. There is only one supercharger station in Wales which is right in the south near Bridgend, and public charging generally in Wales is dire. The 13A UMC really can be a life saver.

Similar experience for me. I bought a 20m lead from Industrial Extension Leads to use when I stay at an isolated farmhouse in Snowdonia. There is only one supercharger station in Wales which is right in the south near Bridgend, and public charging generally in Wales is dire. The 13A UMC really can be a life saver.

I have a 20m extension from the industrial extension people (Will Fealey suggests it on his site). This is very handy while I am waiting for my charger to be installed. I spend around 25-30% battery everyday which gets added by home sockets. (8 miles per hours it says)