Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Speeds @ Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, picked up my M3LR yesterday from Manchester. Absolutely in love, everything is perfect with the car. Includes Ryzen, Heated Wipers, Li-On battery etc. One thing I wanted to know was everyone's charge speeds (Amps, volts, charge miles per hour etc). I've only charged it the once since the SoC when I returned home was 43 miles.

My home charger is a Zappi V2 connected the consumer unit on a 32A breaker. Interested to see others charge speeds etc.

IMG_5240.jpg

haha! I just assumed it would say 230v :confused:;) as UK type 2 chargers are typically rated for 230V AC Single Phase. I guess there must be some v loss between the consumer unit and charger? Is that normal?
Your home voltage will vary slightly from the 'norm'
The actual charging speed you get (change to % if you don't want to start another "where did my miles go" thread) will vary depending on the state of charge of the battery and the temperature of both the battery and the environment.

Your home voltage will vary slightly from the 'norm'
The actual charging speed you get (change to % if you don't want to start another "where did my miles go" thread) will vary depending on the state of charge of the battery and the temperature of both the battery and the environment.
Ah... I was wondering about the so called 'Phantom drain' thing... i'll be sure to factor the percentage in if this happens!

Currently using a Zappy 7kW unit... so same as yours.

But in one months time I'm adding another Zappy 22kW (Zippy) unit on 3 Phase... so that should give me 11kW on the Tesla

Doesn't sound much, but over 4 hours on cheap rate it'll give me an extra 60 miles range over the 7kW version... PLUS I can still charge my Wifes EV at the same time on the other 7kW unit.

Currently using a Zappy 7kW unit... so same as yours.

But in one months time I'm adding another Zappy 22kW (Zippy) unit on 3 Phase... so that should give me 11kW on the Tesla

Doesn't sound much, but over 4 hours on cheap rate it'll give me an extra 60 miles range over the 7kW version... PLUS I can still charge my Wifes EV at the same time on the other 7kW unit.
Sounds like you’re onto a winner. Do you have 3 phase in your residential already then?

Sounds like you’re onto a winner. Do you have 3 phase in your residential already then?

Yes, I do now 👍👍

About a year ago, I discovered to my great disappointment that our modern 3 bed detached house was on a crappy 'looped supply', where our Grid Power came shared off our Neighbours house. We didn't have a direct supply.

This meant we were immediately rejected on any EV Car Charger installation, until this looped supply was removed.

The DNO came around, did a survey and I got chatting with them, and cheakily asked if we could have 3 Phase Cabling laid instead of Single Phase.

At first they declined, but I argued that I was fitting Solar Array, Tesla Battery Storage, Heat Pump, Car Charger, Solar Heater .... and while the road was dug up to remove the looped supply, they may as well future proof me. Rather than have to come back and dig it all up again.

To my surprise they fully embraced this request and started planning it with me. We had some hurdles I can tell you, some legal... but we got through them all... and I got my 3 Phase cabling installed.

The BEST PART... They did it all for FREE.

😍😍😍😍😍😍

At the time, we became a Pathfinder Project for our DNO (Western Power) as nobody was getting 3 Phase... but also, nobody was doing everything we were doing... so it gave them an opportunity to figure it all out with a 'willing to work with them' customer.

I think they realised that potentially, if our house became the 'normal'... all houses would need 3 Phase. So they told me their ongoing policy for looped supply removal, would be to upgrade properties to 3 Phase automatically (where possible)...

They were extremely interested and supportive in our project. 👍

Last edited:
Just to add...

In my mind, I could never understand why people would only want one 7kW car charger on their driveway.

Most households have two cars... or more.

So even if you had two 7kW car chargers, the likelyhood is they'd be load balanced at 3.5kW each on a normal Single Phase supply if two cars were being charged at once.

It has been argued that's enough for most people, but my point is... not during the limited time Smart Meter low-cost tariff window.

You don't want to be charging at peak rate costs... no matter how long it takes.

Ideally you want to charge rapidly during limited low-cost tariff periods... and ideally two cars at once, plus Home Battery Storage at the same time, at FULL POWER.

So to do this high capacity charging, all at once during low cost tariff periods, you need 3 Phase. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: RixtaKai
Yes, I do now 👍👍

About a year ago, I discovered to my great disappointment that our modern 3 bed detached house was on a crappy 'looped supply', where our Grid Power came shared off our Neighbours house. We didn't have a direct supply.

This meant we were immediately rejected on any EV Car Charger installation, until this looped supply was removed.

The DNO came around, did a survey and I got chatting with them, and cheakily asked if we could have 3 Phase Cabling laid instead of Single Phase.

At first they declined, but I argued that I was fitting Solar Array, Tesla Battery Storage, Heat Pump, Car Charger, Solar Heater .... and while the road was dug up to remove the looped supply, they may as well future proof me. Rather than have to come back and dig it all up again.

To my surprise they fully embraced this request and started planning it with me. We had some hurdles I can tell you, some legal... but we got through them all... and I got my 3 Phase cabling installed.

The BEST PART... They did it all for FREE.

😍😍😍😍😍😍

At the time, we became a Pathfinder Project for our DNO (Western Power) as nobody was getting 3 Phase... but also, nobody was doing everything we were doing... so it gave them an opportunity to figure it all out with a 'willing to work with them' customer.

I think they realised that potentially, if our house became the 'normal'... all houses would need 3 Phase. So they told me their ongoing policy for looped supply removal, would be to upgrade properties to 3 Phase automatically (where possible)...

They were extremely interested and supportive in our project. 👍
That's fantastic! Really good outcome. Glad you persevered and persuaded them as why 3 Phase should be the future for installs. I can see this post being used to justify why 3 Phase 'must' be installed going forward when trying to get the DNO to switch. I think you've started something here ;)

Reactions: PITA
That's fantastic! Really good outcome. Glad you persevered and persuaded them as why 3 Phase should be the future for installs. I can see this post being used to justify why 3 Phase 'must' be installed going forward when trying to get the DNO to switch. I think you've started something here ;)

Yep... both for this and Energy Performance Certificates.

We blew our EPC Guy out of the water with his first 'A' rated house. That was a good project as well 😁😁😁😇😇😇

I'm at the very end of the ancient piece of leaky pipe that brings electricity in to my street and looped off my neighbour's supply, so the voltage is often down at about 210V at the car and about 215V at the meter head when drawing a full 32A.

Tesla AC chargers are pretty ambivalent about voltage - after all, they can charge off 110V - so it doesn't make a huge difference.

The cable gets quite warm in the summer.

Yep... both for this and Energy Performance Certificates.

We blew our EPC Guy out of the water with his first 'A' rated house. That was a good project as well 😁😁😁😇😇😇
Congratulations! How did you achieve 'A' rating on EPC since that is based on the amount spent on heating and currently electricity is expensive per kWh compared to gas? Perhaps the potential from the solar pv helped?

I'm at the very end of the ancient piece of leaky pipe that brings electricity in to my street and looped off my neighbour's supply, so the voltage is often down at about 210V at the car and about 215V at the meter head when drawing a full 32A.

Tesla AC chargers are pretty ambivalent about voltage - after all, they can charge off 110V - so it doesn't make a huge difference.

The cable gets quite warm in the summer.

If your DNO is Western Power... why don't you contact them about getting the loop removed and onto a decent supply?

They're doing it free of charge at the moment...

Congratulations! How did you achieve 'A' rating on EPC since that is based on the amount spent on heating and currently electricity is expensive per kWh compared to gas? Perhaps the potential from the solar pv helped?

Yes, thank you 👍👍

It was our 'oversized' Solar Array that pushed us into an 'A' rating.

Also, new windows, doors, loft insulation, led lights, TRV's and smart heating, solar water heater, induction cooking...

Lot of work...

Reactions: prabhu
They're doing it free of charge at the moment...
Not bothered. Partly because it's a Grade 2 listed house with the electricity pipe running under equally listed cobbles out the front and I couldn't face the fight with the council for planning permission, but mostly because I'm moving home in a few months anyway.

Insulate your house properly

I am coming from country where we have proper winters. With proper insulation you will almost have to use 0 heating in your home ;)

• Love
Reactions: prabhu and PITA