Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever notice how two 9V batteries snap to each other quite readily?
Make nice hand warmers too... (warning: leakage hazard!)
3185389173_fc151b7537.jpg

Has there been any work to have the car automatically communicate payment information to the charger? I'd like to enter my credit card information in my car, which would store it securely, and take care of the payment details whenever I hooked up the car to any public charger.

How is payment handled currently?

Has there been any work to have the car automatically communicate payment information to the charger?

Yes. For example, check out Coulomb Technologies website:

Coulomb Technologies, Inc.

On second thought, the payment info does not come from the car. However this is probably a good thing. If you lend your car to someone, they get to pay for fuel!

GSP

Last edited:
Another charging station using IEC 60309 standard connectors.

McDonalds-Charging-Post.jpg

The text says 230V, but you can see in this picture they have 230V (blue) and 400V three phase (red) available.

Is this the first public station to offer three phase? Well done McDonalds.

Practical or not it is a GREAT thing for their image. And quite often I will take my lunch hour at McDonalds and even though I do not eat for an hour I stay and chat with friends and all so I could get a 1 hour charge while I am there if necessary. Or if on long trips I might stop and acouple Mc Donalds for a few minutes each and that could extend my range substantially. I think it is a godd offering.

"I don't see having a recharge station at McDonalds as being practical since people wouldn't normally be spending much time at a fast food restaurant."

You're forgetting a detail. These chargers are for PHEVs, not full blown EVs. The SAE has standardized charging standards for PHEVs, but it hasn't been done yet for EVs. As such, PHEVs will take much less time to charge, meaning the charge time from even a quick stop will be meaningful.

Besides, if you have a PHEV in need of a charge, you can park at McDonalds and then go somewhere else instead in case you need to do something else.

I quit going to fast food some time ago, but at least around here, it looks like McDonald's is trying to get people to stay longer. What with their McCafe and the free wifi, etc. So if they think increasing the time a customer stays (or perhaps just giving them more of a reason to come in) is important, charging stations are a cool idea. It's a bit ironic though, since more and more, actual coffee shops are covering up their electrical outlets, so that you can only work on your laptop as long as your battery lasts.

At Battery Beach Bash, I talked to the owner of Clipper Creek, and got some good news. I had been previously told tha the SAE has yet to decide on charging standards for full EVs, but PHEVs have been standardized. He said the same charging standards for PHEVs are going to be used for full EVs also. (If someone has already confirmed this before, excuse me. I always thought and said what I was previously told. I don't mean to ignore anyone if I forgot them.) Also, I think I remember him mentioning Tesla switching over in a couple years from now.

The flip side to this is then the EVs will have to sacrifice some charing capability. The PHEV cable should be lighter. I know one of the SAE's objetives was to make sure the cable is more user-friendly.

I also talked to Columbum (or whatever) a bit. Their "charging stations" are just regular plugs. Clipper Creek looked much more professional. Perhaps they'll team up? Good charing technology + Columbum's payment system = better product. ???

Elon mentioned in the town hall meeting that he intended to revisit the Roadster plug design in the future. He feels the current design is somewhat clunky and can use improvement. Perhaps when they are ready to do so, there will be a standard out there.

Of course it sounds like the standard may limit how fast the car may charge - so it is likely any plug redesign may be just as non-standard as today's Roadster.

At Battery Beach Bash, I talked to the owner of Clipper Creek...

Which one of these guys is Dave Packard (btw, EVcast interview with him here)?

3299378602_cf935b7e06.jpg

I also talked to Columbum (or whatever) a bit.
3299537174_dca17aaceb.jpg

FYI, it's Coulomb [koo-lom], as in the SI (mks) unit of electric charge, named for an 18th century French physics dude.

Last edited:
I also talked to Columbum (or whatever) a bit. Their "charging stations" are just regular plugs. Clipper Creek looked much more professional. Perhaps they'll team up? Good charing technology + Columbum's payment system = better product. ???
There's nothing particularly complicated in the Clipper Creek box. Coulomb already has a Level 2 charging product as can be seen in this post. I guess so far, though, they've only rolled out the Level 1 charging stations.

Last edited: